i was "mean" to overweight kids

Options
13»

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    sneaking on at work so not sure if this was said, but can you ask Mom to come to incase you need to go ahead, they are still supervised. Put the guilt game on that you could never live with yourself if something happened. This may encourage Mom to go burn a few too, plus it is great bonding between parents n their kids.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    chances are... the mom will not help.

If it was anyone else besides a couple of kids, I'd say tough luck. HOWEVER, they are MORBIDLY obese at ages 11 and 12. IF no one takes time for them to teach them how to eat and exercise, they are going to be in even worse shape later. It also sounds like you might be their only role model in that area. As an adult, you have a responsibility to teach them and if they are willing to exercise with you, then you need to take time for them. If that means slowing your own weight loss by a fraction for a few months until they can build the stamina to hang with you, then so be it.

Otherwise, take separate walks, but you have to help them.

^^^^ Sad as it is to day... this.

Ideally, get your boyfriend or their own damned mother to do it, but those poor kids need a role model that will show them that exercise is good, and if you're the only actual responsible adult in their lives who cares enough about their health to do something, then they need you to do it.

Try to keep them to the best pace you can, and do your energetic walks without them, but include them in a walk as often as you can for as long as you can. If you can get your boyfriend or their mom to come along, great, but it sounds like that's not gonna happen.

Eventually, if they stick with it, they'll start keeping up on the more energetic walks.

And when they get older, YOU'LL be the one they remember as the fun adult.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    Had this happen, well close. What I did is I did my fast walk first and then when it was time for a cool down I would pick up my friend and then it didn't matter that she was slower than me, also I would ask the mom to come. Just say the kids want to walk and you aren't always available, but that it would be great for the girls to see their mom out walking and that this is a good time for bonding!! The mom should see this as an opportunity to be with her kids and to lead by example! BTW my friend now walks with me for the entire walk!
  • BeccaBoo145
    Options
    It sure sounds like the mom's are getting defensive about there daughters. And I think it mightbe because they feel responsible for the fact that there kids are so obese. Maybe try saying o the mom "I'm really sorry I offended you, this wasn't my intention at all.Maybe you could try coming with us on our walks and that way if I get to a faster pace then they do then you can be there with them so I'm not so anxious about them being out of my sight" Keep in mind however the mother might feel that when you say "Maybe you could try coming with us on our walks and that way if I get to a faster pace then they do then you can be there with them " that you're implying shes fat too. If this dosent work forget abou them you tried! :smile:
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    if they are 11 or 12, they are old enough not to need to be "watched" persay, how far are u walking? if its just around ur neighborhood, i think they will be okay. just tell them they can go with u, but they have to keep up and let their mom know that u don't mind if they want to tag along, but u are going to go at ur pace and cannot be responsible if they don't stay with u. if they are walking with u consitantly, then they may also build the stamina up to run with u as well.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Tell the mother that you meant no offense at all and were only concerned about their safety when they were out of your sight ("the world we live in these days" etc.). Hopefully, she will realize that you weren't making a commentary on their health but were only looking out for them the way that she would want you to when she trusts you with her babies.

If you want to invite them to go with you, either (a) walk with them first and then after you take them home go on your "real" fitness walk - use the walk with them as a warm up or (b) walk with them after your "real" fitness walk and use the walk with them as your cool down - you could even incorporate some stretching at the end of the walk, which would be good for them too.

Eventually, their fitness will improve and they will be able to keep up.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wlk for 10 minutes with them, as a warm up for you, then drop them home and go as far and as fast as you like! You're doing it for exercise after all not just to see what's what.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    If they have bikes they could ride their bikes to keep up with you
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    chances are... the mom will not help.

If it was anyone else besides a couple of kids, I'd say tough luck. HOWEVER, they are MORBIDLY obese at ages 11 and 12. IF no one takes time for them to teach them how to eat and exercise, they are going to be in even worse shape later. It also sounds like you might be their only role model in that area. As an adult, you have a responsibility to teach them and if they are willing to exercise with you, then you need to take time for them. If that means slowing your own weight loss by a fraction for a few months until they can build the stamina to hang with you, then so be it.

Otherwise, take separate walks, but you have to help them.

^^THIS. Those poor kids don't stand a chance without you.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    When you get too far ahead of them, loop around at the pace that you want to go. Walk back toward them, pass them going the opposite direction, then turn around, catch up with them and pass them. You get to go the pace you want because you walk farther than they do, but you all stay within a safe distance.

Problem solved.