How do you stop that late night eating? :(

Options
I have no problem during the day sticking happily to healthy eating and then when night hits, it's like the food monster awakes and demands foods such as chocolate... or even things like toast.

This is the only problem letting me down at the moment so I was wondering if anyone would have any helpful tips to keep that food monster at bay? or even healthier alternatives? :)

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Drink some water first!! It always works for me
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    I have the same problem, lately I just drink tons of water and I will eat but always something low calorie like a big salad or watermelon
  • Carol7Jean
    Carol7Jean Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try to clean somethin or relax with a book but it doesn't always help with me. Especially if I have been snacking all day long :/ But good luck with findsing what works for you
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I too find this to be a problem, my answer was their is nothing here that I like so I cant eat it :) Not practical really, I also tried sugar free/fat free chocolate jello. It works............
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Drink some water first!! It always works for me

That's my secret. You're probably just bored or a little thirsty. I'm actually having a little bit of coffee now and since there's no sugar and just a tad bit of half-n-half it's nothing on the calorie scale. Find something to occupy you and you'll forget about food.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    I used to do this too, so I know how you're feeling. I often find that if I brush my teeth, I don't want to spoil my nicely brushed teeth with food. Of course, I sometimes get genuinely hungry at night, and some research says you shouldn't eat after a certain time, but if you're really hungry, it's better to eat. Have you tried even having a banana or an apple at night? Or your favourite fruit, it'll fulfil your need for food and it's not going to make you feel bad, like chocolate would at night. I hope you can fight the food monster ;)
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have issues with boredom eating and also with late night eating due to getting off work at 1130 pm. sugar free pudding and almonds is one snack a friend recommended

also casein protein is something another friend recommended but i have not tried it yet

i used to go to dairy queen every night after work or taco bell. Now i think its been a month and only gone once

also sugar free hot coco ( i bought some but its 115 here so not tried it yet LOL) its only 25 calories
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i go to bed early.... lame.. but works...
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I plan to have my ice cream late at night, and log it into my day ahead of time, so that I have the calories. It also helps me say no to other things during the day, knowing that I'll have it later.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Just work it into your calorie count. I love oatnut toast with butter at 9 at night. I just make sure I save my calories for it by reducing what I have for dinner or cutting out an afternoon snack.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Water & gum, or plan your calories out to leave room for a late-night snack.
  • Lolo436
    Lolo436 Posts: 1
    Options
    Frozen watermelon is great to fill u up and it takes longer to eat bc it is frozen!
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just go to sleep lol
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    I drink 2 24oz bottles at night to get in all my water for the night. You wont feel like eating after that, and then go to bed. And DO NOT GET UP to SNACK. I just don't allow myself to get up and binge anymore.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I have a problem with late night binging. when i'm half sleeping, i'll raid my cupboards and freezer for chocolate and ice cream. lol. usually it helps if i eat a nice filling snack right before i go to bed, then i'm less likely to wake up and want to binge eat. also, like some one else said, i brush my teeth right before bed, and that helps, cuz i don't want to eat after i cleaned my teeth. and drinking lots of water would probably help fill your stomach up.
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take a huge glass of water upstairs and hang out online in my room. I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to the kitchen!
  • Veetach1
    Veetach1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have heard you can freeze that sugar free cocoa, not sure because I haven't tried it. But what about frozen yogurt??? I am going to try to save some calories for later in the evening.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I drink a casein shake before bed. One scoop of powder with 16ozs of water and some crushed ice. It keeps the calories to just that in the powder and keeps me feeling full. Its a slow processing protein so you can't go wrong. Sip it, if you drink it to fast you'l feel bloated from it.
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night because I finally get some down time and watch my smutty shows. I save calories just for snacking. When I've spent them, they're gone. Sometimes I'll save enough for a cup of coffe for sipping...or if I have a sweet tooth I'll have hot chocolate. After snacking and sipping I hit the shower and brush my teeth, that's a mental signal the the eat fest is over :-D
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out my triggers. I know that if I watch TV I want to eat something. I had to find something to either do while I watched TV or not watch it.

Once I battled through the first few months of NOT eating at night, the cravings eased up a lot.

I learned to do puzzles while I watched TV (kept my hands busy and helped me keep my mind occupied).
    Mute it during the commercials, hearing about fast food places and snacks did NOT help my cravings. Didn't want to hear it.