How do you stop that late night eating? :(

Options

Replies

• jensgettinghealthy
    Options
    Wow, EdDavenport! You've lost 310 lbs? Congratulations!!! You've got great perseverance.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I plan it into my day for calories... I know I will want a snack. I find if I fight the urge, then that is all I focus on and the urge grows and grows... so if I plan it, then it is part of my routine.

i hope all the post help!! :D
  • karibeargirl
    karibeargirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth will take the urge away:) I always get a craving for sweets at night, so I go and do a quick mouth rinse then a brush...It works for me!! Good Luck!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Divide your calories so that you CAN eat at night, I'm eating right now and it's 9:30 pm and when I get home I will eat again.
  • DragonRoar
    Options
    I don't. I could drink water, but I always crave something more substantial. I think the best thing to do would be to go to bed early like others suggested. If I could ever get all 4 my boys in bed before 11pm, I think maybe I could be sleeping by midnight. Maybe.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My first few weeks, I didn't have a problem! I'd completely stopped...but the last few weeks, at night is when I have most of my 'cheats'.. =( Leave some extra calories for the night, try to stick to fruits and veggies too at night! That is helping me a little.. Good luck. I'd love to see some of what everyone else says too =)
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The desire to snack late at night is definitely a problem I share with you. The only thing that works for me is chewing gum. It is low-calorie, sweet, and it keeps my mouth busy, LOL.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Brushing your teeth will take the urge away:) I always get a craving for sweets at night, so I go and do a quick mouth rinse then a brush...It works for me!! Good Luck!!

I forgot about this one =p
  • mlscott96
    mlscott96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try low calorie snacks such as double chocalare rice krispy treats they are only 100 calories and drink a lot of water:happy:
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Plan to stop eating some time before bed (say 2 hours). Do not eat anything after this time for several days until you get use to it. Increase this time before bed every 3-5 days and let your body adjust. You will slowly stop craving food after dinner before bed. I have used this several times and has worked for me. You will start to crave food in the morning when you get up. Breakfast foods are typically better than late nite binge foods.

Also eliminate the trigger foods from your environment. May replace them with lower calorie alternatives or go cold turkey...

Good Luck!
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat, eat something nutritious. A handful of nuts ought to do it. Those Costco extra fancy are pretty good, hit the spot and last a long time.

brendan
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Banana and water and sleep!
  • justsomemodgirl
    justsomemodgirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I set a guideline for myself. My cut off time is 9:30- and limit myself to a protein packed 100-150 snack. When I feel the " boredom" coming on, I drink lots of decaf home brewed tea, and plenty of water. I find if I wait it out- it usually wanes. Also, just trying to be mindful and think about why I am concentrating on this and my goal in the end.
    Try journaling, chat on the phone- something to disrupt your thoughts. :)
    And lots of water or a flavored seltzer. :)
    Good luck! ;)
    PS I always ask myself: hunger or habit ? I find it's habit. Lol.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had this problem my first week and after looking at my past week's diary I realized I wasn't eating enough fat, so now I make sure to eat as close to my recommended fat grams as possible and it has REALLY helped me. I'd make it through the day just fine with fruit and yogurt for breakfast and salads for lunch but by the evening all I wanted to do was eat!!

I started incorporating a little bit of fat into my meals, like a tablespoon of peanut butter at breakfast, a slice of cheese with lunch or maybe half an avocado - and then come dinner time if I still have remaining fat grams left to eat I definitely eat them. Fat really helps keep you satiated and full - although many people only think of it as a bad thing.

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me!
  • strongerthanithink
    Options
    Thankyou for all your helpful tips and ideas to help me banish the little food monster at night :) I will try a few out and see which ones will be effective but they all sound great :) I would have never thought of some of the options you have given me! Goodluck with your goals everyone and Thankyou once again for all your advice and personal accounts of what works best for you :)
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Could try Wasa Crispbread and a half tablespoon peanut butter. Helps me because it's crunchy and filling.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Fat free cocoa or sweetened hot herb tea really help stem the need to nibble. Also, brush your teeth. Silly as it sounds, you'll feel less like eating if your teeth are clean. :)
  • Schmetterling14
    Schmetterling14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use chicken or beef broth. Warm helps you feel full. The broth kinda feels like food, and it's only about 15 calories per cube. I've found that it works even better when the weather is hot!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Save calories for it.

Or sleep.