Clean eating ideas

Options
I've been clean eating for about a month now and I'm sooo pleased with the results. My skin is amazing, that is what I've noticed most. I just joined MFP today, however I have been going to the gym 5x a week and changed my eating habits a bit over a month ago and have lost 10 pounds.
I would love to know for those of you clean eating what your staples are and some further Ideas.

My staples:
Avacods (I spread this instead of mayo)
Fruit
Sweet peppers
spinach
Fish
Organic eggs (whites only)
Organic chicken breasts
Whole grain wraps
Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk
Cucumbers
Asparagus
Sweet potatos

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask because I am seeking to incorporate clean eating into my diet. How is whole grain tortilla wraps and organic almond milk considered clean eating? I thought clean eating was eating w/out it being processed?
  • kamanda85
    kamanda85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump... I don't have any suggestions for you- but I'm wanting to start eating clean myself.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

Add oatmeal to your list, that's a definite go-to in my house.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Is there a clean eating bible?
  • saraann4
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

hmmm yeah... ok.
  • kamanda85
    kamanda85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't have any staple - but I remembered I had found the blog thegraciouspantry.com and she has a ton of recipes. I think she also has several lists of staple foods.
  • angiezturn
    angiezturn Posts: 49
    Options
    From what i've been reading. Breads in clean eating is done by eliminating any breads that use white flowers. The only way to really clean eat breads is to make it yourself. (IM too lazy!!) But there are some great varieties of whole grain breads now on the market. You just need to really read the labels. As for milk. Due to the hormones and steroids used in today's dairy farms is my reason for switching to almond milk (however I can't get rid of cheese I love cheese!!). Almond milk is general made from made from raw, soaked almonds, water, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt and when used in things you can hardly taste a difference. Not all my eating is clean, but I'm sure trying!!
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    I think your doing great. There's nothing wrong with wheat tortillas or almond/soy milk. good job :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Thank you! I drink unsweetened coconut milk...
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    From what i've been reading. Breads in clean eating is done by eliminating any breads that use white flowers. The only way to really clean eat breads is to make it yourself. (IM too lazy!!) But there are some great varieties of whole grain breads now on the market. You just need to really read the labels. As for milk. Due to the hormones and steroids used in today's dairy farms is my reason for switching to almond milk (however I can't get rid of cheese I love cheese!!). Almond milk is general made from made from raw, soaked almonds, water, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt and when used in things you can hardly taste a difference. Not all my eating is clean, but I'm sure trying!!

Im working clean eating into my diet I am not 100% but its a process like all things... I've stopped eating white bread and have switched to Sprouted Bread, no more rice instead I eat Quinoa and have switched to Almond milk as well.
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am doing a clean eating challenge next week. I am very excited about it and can't wait to see the results!!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised by how many people get hung up over the words "processed and "unprocessed" on MFP. Unless you are picking your own food from your own garden (which some people do), your food is processed to a degree. Avacados are IQF'd in a processing plant for transport as they will spoil almost immediately.

I kinda prefer "fake" food to "real" food. A Twinkie is fake food. An Avacado is "real" food...
  • saraann4
    Options
    I think your doing great. There's nothing wrong with wheat tortillas or almond/soy milk. good job :)

I never said anything was wrong with wheat tortillas and almond milk. I was just under the impression that clean eating meant no processed food. I love processed food, would love to cut a lot if it out though :ohwell:
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Anything by Micheal Pollen, also the China Study is good, or Real Food Matters by Mark Bittman.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask because I am seeking to incorporate clean eating into my diet. How is whole grain tortilla wraps and organic almond milk considered clean eating? I thought clean eating was eating w/out it being processed?

Its not clean.

And also makes no sense to not eat whole eggs.
  • angiezturn
    Options
    I will look into those! Thanks!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

If it comes from a package bought from the store, it has more than 5 ingredients and is not clean.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    our staples change seasonally, so right now they're very different than what they'll be in six months.

year-round
    black beans
    chickpeas
    onions
    garlic
    kale

store bought year-round
    feta cheese
    pecorinio cheese
    eggs
    oatmeal
    wasa crackers

right now:
    zucchini / crookneck
    blueberries
    lettuces
    snap peas / english peas
    bok choi
    cucumbers
    bean sprouts
    swiss chard
    basil
    oregano
    thyme
    sage

coming soon :
    tomatoes
    tomatillos
    peppers (both hot & sweet)
    eggplant
  • angiezturn
    Options

Its not clean.

Whole eggs are great! But I have high cholesterol so I try to avoid the yolk.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

that depends on whether or not you eat meat.