Clean eating ideas

Options

Replies

• jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean for about 5 weeks and have dropped 5 lbs. I love oatmeal, plain non-fat greek yogurt, eggs, all natural peanut butter, and all kinds of fruits and veggies. I have found some great websites that have wonderful recipes- cleaneatingmagazine.com is a good one and their magazine has great recipes yum!

Also, if you go on pinterest, you can find some great clean eating stuff. I am not a purist yet, but I would say I am probably eating 90% clean foods and I feel so good. I've suffered from colitis for over three years and other digestive issues. Although they are not gone completely, my flare-ups have decreased significantly and are much less severe.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    From what i've been reading. Breads in clean eating is done by eliminating any breads that use white flowers. The only way to really clean eat breads is to make it yourself. (IM too lazy!!) But there are some great varieties of whole grain breads now on the market. You just need to really read the labels. As for milk. Due to the hormones and steroids used in today's dairy farms is my reason for switching to almond milk (however I can't get rid of cheese I love cheese!!). Almond milk is general made from made from raw, soaked almonds, water, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt and when used in things you can hardly taste a difference. Not all my eating is clean, but I'm sure trying!!

You can kid yourself and everyone else here, but there is nothing clean about bread bought from the store.

And there are no whole grain breads. They sprinkle a couple of chunkier grain pieces in and call it "whole grain".
  • Elle_45
    Elle_45 Posts: 43
    Options
    Tosca Reno has some great books on clean eating.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    clean eating to me means what I cook at home. I regularly cook legume (lentils and beans), beef, chicken, LOTS of fruits, I drink a milok chocolate shake with ovaltine almost daily. I basically eat clean by knowing what I'm putting into my plate.

My staples:
    whole wheat bread
    peanut butter
    skinless Chicken
    Beef
    Ground beef
    LOTS AND LOTS of fruits
    olive oil
    veggies that I hide into my dishes
    milk
    chocolate ovaltine
    protein shake
    lentils (love me some lentil soup)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I think your doing great. There's nothing wrong with wheat tortillas or almond/soy milk. good job :)

I never said anything was wrong with wheat tortillas and almond milk. I was just under the impression that clean eating meant no processed food. I love processed food, would love to cut a lot if it out though :ohwell:

you have to pick your battles a little. i use almond milk in my green smoothies. it is processed, but so is a green smoothie. and i consider my green smoothie to be very "clean"

i process most of our "processed food" myself. that way i can control the ingredients. we grow a considerable amount of our food and also subscribe to an organic CSA share. right now, our diet is very clean with the occasional dirty. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different definitions of clean. I've been trying to eat cleaner, and my skin is now glowing. I just eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. Other than that, oatmeal, cheese, milk, and protein powder are my "staples." My diet vastly varies on what we have in the house.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Everyone has different definitions of clean. I've been trying to eat cleaner, and my skin is now glowing. I just eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. Other than that, oatmeal, cheese, milk, and protein powder are my "staples." My diet vastly varies on what we have in the house.

i can't agree more about the physical benefits of clean eating. my hair is shinier and seemingly darker than ever, my skin glows and my nails are strong. i have way less acne and all kinds of other little things that other women my age experience, i do not. and by that i mean: helllz to the y-e-s
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    if your really into clean eating you should look at emeals.com Its a menu site that you have to subscribe to but its not very much and i think there are a few free recipes. They have lots of different menus..I use one that goes with the points program.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Is there a clean eating bible?

no, i don't think there is, but you can start with any book written by Michael Pollan. Also look into Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin) and these two will give you most of the information you need to get started.
  • angiezturn
    angiezturn Posts: 49
    Options
    I agree, my skin is amazing!! I am not sure if its from all the working out and activity or from better eating.. Or from both? All I know is my hair has grown probably 3 inches in 2 months and my skin simply glows.
  • rpoupard99
    rpoupard99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also check out Clean Eating magazine. I like it for recipes and ideas. They also have a website: cleaneating.com
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

Add oatmeal to your list, that's a definite go-to in my house.

If it comes from a package bought from the store, it has more than 5 ingredients and is not clean.

Here is the ingredient label on my Tofu from Wegmans (a store): Water, Organic Whole Soy Beans, Calcium, Nigari

Not being a jerk - honestly confused as to what is "clean"
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think your doing great. There's nothing wrong with wheat tortillas or almond/soy milk. good job :)

I never said anything was wrong with wheat tortillas and almond milk. I was just under the impression that clean eating meant no processed food. I love processed food, would love to cut a lot if it out though :ohwell:

you have to pick your battles a little. i use almond milk in my green smoothies. it is processed, but so is a green smoothie. and i consider my green smoothie to be very "clean"

i process most of our "processed food" myself. that way i can control the ingredients. we grow a considerable amount of our food and also subscribe to an organic CSA share. right now, our diet is very clean with the occasional dirty. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, I kind of agree, but almond milk is still processed. I guess everyone has a different definition of clean eating? When the OP said clean eating, I thought she meant pure clean eating. Perhaps, I'm way over my head here. I'm just curious.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is there a clean eating bible?

no, i don't think there is, but you can start with any book written by Michael Pollan. Also look into Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin) and these two will give you most of the information you need to get started.

actually the way the folks in the bible days ate was pretty clean
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I just have to ask because I am seeking to incorporate clean eating into my diet. How is whole grain tortilla wraps and organic almond milk considered clean eating? I thought clean eating was eating w/out it being processed?

Its not clean.

And also makes no sense to not eat whole eggs.

Whole eggs are great! But I have high cholesterol so I try to avoid the yolk.

Egg yolks don't make your cholesterol high. And the more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore your cholesterol will drop.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Your staples are all processed. I'm confused. If anything you should have recommended fruits and veggies???? :noway:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks don't make your cholesterol high. And the more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore your cholesterol will drop.

not even most doctors understand this truth
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Add quinoa. Also you can cook and eat wheat berries
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

Add oatmeal to your list, that's a definite go-to in my house.

If it comes from a package bought from the store, it has more than 5 ingredients and is not clean.

Here is the ingredient label on my Tofu from Wegmans (a store): Water, Organic Whole Soy Beans, Calcium, Nigari

Not being a jerk - honestly confused as to what is "clean"

Honestly, I don't consider anything made from a grain and especially soy as being a clean item.

I barely purchase anything from a store. I even make my own personal hygiene, cleaning supplies and use essential oils and soap nuts in my laundry.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Angie - I would just consider how "real" it is like the above posted mentioned, and in that sense..consider how it was processed, can you understand what the ingredients are on the package, what kind of oils are used, how many forms of sodium are in it, etc. Did it come from nature that way or was it altered somehow unnaturally.

as far as your list - i read a recipe i want to try that might work with your ingredients....here is the link!

Baked Stuffed Red Peppers with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta, and Thyme

http://www.marthastewart.com/355531/baked-stuffed-red-peppers-cherry-tomatoes-feta-and-thyme

you would just need a good saltier cheese...or even just mozz or swiss would be tastey i bet!