Dieting WTFs?

Options
Okay, so we've all heard at least one, "If you do X for Y days you can lose Z pounds!" Normally these type of "quick fix diets" make me go, "WTF?" I'd love to hear all the zany diets you've come across by so called "diet experts".

Replies

• droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    No one? I know for one I got a chuckle out of the "If you eat 10,000 calories a day in fat you won't gain weight!"
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love the workout commercials that promise a 6 pack in 6 weeks. Sure, you'll have washboard abs, they're just under 3" of fat so you'll never see them! Kind of defeats the purpose.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I been seing a lot of "insulin is da devil" threads...atleast theyy pass the time at work lol
  • droogievesch
    Options
    I actually was on Pinterest today, and my friend had pinned something about "lose your belly fat" so I checked out the pin (because how else do you waste hours a day on Pinterest?). Turns out Dr. Oz's recommendation to lose belly fat was to SKIP BREAKFAST and only eat lunch and dinner.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I actually was on Pinterest today, and my friend had pinned something about "lose your belly fat" so I checked out the pin (because how else do you waste hours a day on Pinterest?). Turns out Dr. Oz's recommendation to lose belly fat was to SKIP BREAKFAST and only eat lunch and dinner.
    That's funny cause I remeber him saying to eat breakfest...what a quak lol
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's funny cause I remeber him saying to eat breakfest...what a quak lol

I remember him saying the same thing! :laugh:

What about all this talk about magical acai berry pills that will "melt the fat away"?! :huh:
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    From years ago there was a Grapefruit and Cottage Cheese diet...sure you lost weight...but you gained back twice as fast after going off it.
  • droogievesch
    Options
    A lot of my friends are doing the cabbage soup diet. All you can eat cabbage soup *whoo hoo!* It's too bad though that so many people are looking for a quick and easy solution, and when it doesn't work they become severely discouraged and decide they can't lose weight.

I won't lie though, when they come out with a "Eat as much chocolate cake and cheesecake as you want" type of diet I'll probably jump on that band wagon!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    HCG drops - I actually had a relative suggest those to me. She has lost 60lbs taking those drops and eating next to nothing.

I told her no thanks, that I'd rather exercise and eat less and she said "Ohh, I hate exercise. Why would you want to get sweaty like that?" :noway:

Yeah, you go ahead and enjoy those 500 calories that you eat today. I'll be over here enjoying my food and running for miles :bigsmile:
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Both someone on my facebook and someone in my neighborhood are raving about some plexus slim thing. Neighbor has huge decal taking up the back of her car where you can buy it from her and facebook friend makes several posts a day about how it can change your life and you can lose tons of weight, cure diabeties, and all kinds of ailments by not changing what you eat nor working out
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    God, if I hear another Paleo/Atkins/HFLC zealot rave about how you can eat 5,000 + calories of animal protein and dark leafy greens and NEVER gain weight, I'll eat my hat.

I'm not wearing a hat. :laugh:
  • Arredondo145
    Arredondo145 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We have a boutique in town that recommends slimming wraps. All you have to do is grease down and wrap yourself in plastic wrap a few times a week and ta-da you're skinny!
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    According to a Dr Oz website, potassium is an essential enzyme???? "Potassium is an essential enzyme for the body's growth and maintenance tasked with managing the normal water balance between cells..."

Had to re-read it a few times to make sure I was reading it right... Not really sure if I would believe anything on that site given that potassium is an element and not made of protein!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've never seen more dieting WTF's than right here. "Not losing weight? Eat more!"
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've never seen more dieting WTF's than right here. "Not losing weight? Eat more!"

Haha. I was too chicken to post this.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Saw one recently at a fair that said you can lose 15lb in a week by drinking aloe vera (cactus juice).
    Um...my mum used to make me drink that stuff as a kid for a while (she always had a new 'miracle' thing can't remember what this was supposed to do now). It was disgusting - probably one of the most vile things I had ever tasted.

I rather weigh the extra 15lb I think even if I believed it would work.:laugh:
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Saw one recently at a fair that said you can lose 15lb in a week by drinking aloe vera (cactus juice).
    Um...my mum used to make me drink that stuff as a kid for a while (she always had a new 'miracle' thing can't remember what this was supposed to do now). It was disgusting - probably one of the most vile things I had ever tasted.

I rather weigh the extra 15lb I think even if I believed it would work.:laugh:

My friend made me try this aloe vera drink a few weeks ago! It was actually kind of good, once you got over the floating aloe bits.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz says to eat breakfast. He says it in almost EVERY show. I <3 Dr.Oz!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

Haha. I was too chicken to post this.

this one is my favorite. sure, for some it might work because they're probably getting there allotted calories in only one or two meals. all that's needed is to break up the calories into several servings. same result. i know if *I* eat more than 1300 cals per day guess what happens? I gain. But i can survive and be healthy on a minimum of 800 cals/day. Yeah. 800. And i weigh a HELL of a lot more than some of my counterparts on here.
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends are doing the cabbage soup diet. All you can eat cabbage soup *whoo hoo!* It's too bad though that so many people are looking for a quick and easy solution, and when it doesn't work they become severely discouraged and decide they can't lose weight.

I won't lie -- I tried the "cabbage soup diet." The true secret behind this is that after about the third day the smell alone nauseates you and you lose all appetite. ;)