Healthy foods to survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

_JR_
_JR_ Posts: 830 Member
In my efforts to stockpile a little extra food for unforeseen local emergencies, from a 3-Day power outage to a full-blown Zombie Apocalypse, I've noticed that foods with a 1 - 2+ year shelf life tend to be high in sodium or other undesirable ingredients.

What are some suggestions for fairly healthy foods that have a shelf life greater than 1 year? Thanks

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Dried food.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Twinkies you can't go wrong with Twinkies but watch how many you consume. They are good but they could slow you down if you eat too much. lol.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Twinkies you can't go wrong with Twinkies but watch how many you consume. They are good but they could slow you down if you eat too much. lol.

Don't think I'd consider them "healthy". :cry: Besides, I had read that they have a short shelf life, like 1 month.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    In my efforts to stockpile a little extra food for unforeseen local emergencies, from a 3-Day power outage to a full-blown Zombie Apocalypse, I've noticed that foods with a 1 - 2+ year shelf life tend to be high in sodium or other undesirable ingredients.

What are some suggestions for fairly healthy foods that have a shelf life greater than 1 year? Thanks

I think the #2 rule of a Zombie Apocalypse is "Cardio" right? So, you'll be burning enough calories that it probably won't really matter. :laugh:

But, if you are really worried, you should probably just can your own food so you can control the sodium levels.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    In the case of a zombie apocalypse - i would no longer care about which foods I am eatting, as long as if i am eatting something. In a time of emergency, you cant be too particular and just be thankful for the fact you have food.

Haha I could just imagine being locked down in the basement during a zombie apocalypse reading the ingredient labels saying "this has way too much sodium".
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    If the full blow zombie apocalypse happens we'll start raising animals and growing vegetables to maintain a food supply. In the short term sodium won't be that harmful because we will be very active setting up the compound and preparing for the long term. There are many no salt added canned vegetables on the shelves with a shelf life of two years. Dried fruits are an excellent idea. Not sure how long jerky will keep, but making your own is usually healthier than the store bought kind.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member

Don't think I'd consider them "healthy". :cry: Besides, I had read that they have a short shelf life, like 1 month.

LOL that's the last time I rely on ZombieLand to help stay alive!!!
  • Ok....Let's be serious....In a Zombie Apocalypse we aren't going to worry about the food being healthy. You are going to be trying to survive! There will be no daily workouts unless you count swinging a machete to slice off the heads of the walkers. So any canned food will do to keep you alive...or you can just go hunt some squirrel!

Now for a three day power outage....I would try healthy choice type soups. You can get them low in sodium or like one person said some dried fruit. Also what about like special K bars or oatmeal? I am sure that would be fine to eat past a year! Plus really how much food do you need to survive for three days? Not much!
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Brains.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    For a Zombie Apocalypse I'd be thinking high energy density foods like nuts, granola or chocolate, otherwise i'd soon run out of space.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    i say give the zombies a taste of their own medicine. lets see how they like being eaten
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    This reminds me that the next season of the Walking Dead is still a few months off ... :'(

Having said that I agree I'd be happy eating most anything at a zombie apocalypse...

Don't canned veggies have a pretty long shelf life? Even organic ones?
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    No meat...they can smell the iron in the blood. Fish ok, chicken questionable. McDonalds chicken nuggets and Taco Bell meat ok since they are not real food and of course bacon!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Not Dasani water, it has salt in it and makes you thirstier! Protein bars, low sodium soup, almond butter, no sugar canned fruit.
  • simplyso
    simplyso Posts: 4
    Seeds to sprout would be a good addition. Alfalfa, mung beans, even broccoli and radish sprouts. Just make sure you get seeds designated for sprouting as they are not treated the same as crop seeds. Just keep them in the fridge for now and experiment with using them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Sodium is what allows them to have a long shelf life. Salt is a preservative, and has been used to preserve foods for thousands of years. You won't find much that won't spoil that hasn't been salted.
  • simplyso
    simplyso Posts: 4
    Good point! We're going to be looking for any kind of calories long term and short term I have plenty of calories to feed off of!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Haha I could just imagine being locked down in the basement during a zombie apocalypse reading the ingredient labels saying "this has way too much sodium".

^^ that would be me lol I read EVERY LITTLE THING. I would be freaking out, "where's the No Salt Added variety?" lol
  • If it's a 3-7 day event then eating unhealthy food during that time won't undo all of yournwork. Just get back on track afterwards. If it's a zombie apocalypse, then you'll ne too hungry to care if it's healthy. You'll just be glad to have food and not be food, and you'll get plenty of cardio running for your life, so I doubt you'll get fat. Either way, I'd say get the twinkies! ;)
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants is a great book for finding your own helth fresh no salt added food. Stock up on bullets and learn to reload. You will be able to hunt for your own protien.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Books.Folder/I & H Folder/Id'g & Hvst'g.html