Healthy foods to survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    No meat...they can smell the iron in the blood. Fish ok, chicken questionable. McDonalds chicken nuggets and Taco Bell meat ok since they are not real food and of course bacon!

no meat in them just cr@p!! :laugh:
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Ok....Let's be serious....In a Zombie Apocalypse...

ROFLMAO!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    In my efforts to stockpile a little extra food for unforeseen local emergencies, from a 3-Day power outage to a full-blown Zombie Apocalypse, I've noticed that foods with a 1 - 2+ year shelf life tend to be high in sodium or other undesirable ingredients.

What are some suggestions for fairly healthy foods that have a shelf life greater than 1 year? Thanks

In all seriousness folks, foods that you stockpile will eventually need to be eaten before they expire or it's a waste of money. That's why I want healthier options. I can't imagine chomping down on 10 cans of Spam because they're about to expire.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    With the amount of running you'll be doing in a Zombie Apocalypse I don't really think you'd need relatively "healthy" food lol.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Keeping macros will be difficult during the zombie invasion..what happens if MFP goes down. We need an off line backup!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Keep in mind unless you are planning on sheltering in place, you will want to keep the weight down. Dried goods are great keeping in mind that they will require extra water to reconstitute. Beans; Berries; Oats, Nuts and Grains; Kale and Seaweed; Pastas; Vegetables. Basically if can remove the moisture and keep it in a cool dry location anything can be stored for long periods of time. With this being said I do “preserve” my own goods. The best method is to build-up your stock pile of whatever you want and rotate your stock. I will every quarter use my oldest goods and immediately replace it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Dried beans, rice, oats and other grains.

But if you believe what you read here, you can just 'shut down your metabolism' by eating at 1200 for a day or two. Then you don't need any food at all. :laugh:
  • Dried pasta! And canned fruit. I really can't think of much.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    on tv and movies you never see them stockpiling protein powder. im too lazy to check my tubs shelf life but it has to last a good while right?

the only doomsday scenario i actually think is a concern is pandemic. not that i would prepare in advance for it. but if i saw reports around the country of outbreak id run to GNC. :D
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Dried beans, rice, oats and other grains.

But if you believe what you read here, you can just 'shut down your metabolism' by eating at 1200 for a day or two. Then you don't need any food at all. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    foraged food
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Nuts, nut butter, dried food, canned veggies, lots of protein bars, vitamins, dietary supplement drink mixes, whey protein.
  • I don't know about you guys, but I am going to costco when the zombie apocalypse happens. They can't break in and and you have all the food you need! :) but shhhh, don't tell anyone ;)
  • Dried beans, rice, oats and other grains.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Dried pasta and beans, lentils, etc. Jarred pasta sauce and canned tomatos & paste. Canned salmon (healthy fish oils and a great source of calcium) and tuna.

I would think that a relatively high sodium content would be a bonus during a zombie apocalypse. Since water will be presumably hard to come by, we'll want our bodies to retain as much of it as possible.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I don't know about you guys, but I am going to costco when the zombie apocalypse happens. They can't break in and and you have all the food you need! :) but shhhh, don't tell anyone ;)

Why can't they break in? Because they don't have Costco cards? :happy:

Where I live half the town is Mormon, and they usually have 2 years of apocalypse food stored. So I guess I'd be converting when the zombies come.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I don't know about you guys, but I am going to costco when the zombie apocalypse happens. They can't break in and and you have all the food you need! :) but shhhh, don't tell anyone ;)

do they sell guns? i think i'd choose wal mart so that i can get some weapons.
  • I don't know about you guys, but I am going to costco when the zombie apocalypse happens. They can't break in and and you have all the food you need! :) but shhhh, don't tell anyone ;)

Why can't they break in? Because they don't have Costco cards? :happy:

Where I live half the town is Mormon, and they usually have 2 years of apocalypse food stored. So I guess I'd be converting when the zombies come.

lol exactly! haha jk. they can't get in because it is a warehouse and it is all sealed up :)

do they sell guns? i think i'd choose wal mart so that i can get some weapons.

yah but they can break into walmart!! costco is a warehouse, you are safe there ;) LOL btw, i love ur picture :love:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    In my efforts to stockpile a little extra food for unforeseen local emergencies, from a 3-Day power outage to a full-blown Zombie Apocalypse, I've noticed that foods with a 1 - 2+ year shelf life tend to be high in sodium or other undesirable ingredients.

What are some suggestions for fairly healthy foods that have a shelf life greater than 1 year? Thanks

Get yourself a dehydrator and start drying meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc.