what to do when you hate "working out"

Options
124»

Replies

• littlecuteone
    littlecuteone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. I just played Wii tonight for my exercise. I have a recumbant stationary bike that sometimes I pedal while watching TV, when a comercial comes on I pedal as hard and fast as I can until my show comes back. I also just wanted to tell you that a few years ago I had a back injury that required physical therapy and my physical therapist recommended I do yoga to strengthen my back muscles. It worked and I have less back pain now.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    the thing is exercise is what YOU make of it. You have already established in your brain you HATE it, but you can overcome that. You need to work on your mindset, and find things that you enjoy that wont make it so troublesome. Sometimes you do things you hate long enough you end up loving it! Check out adult activities, most cities have something going on. They may even have water aerobics around you - good work out and fun!
  • etxgal
    etxgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Might try Skimble app (they have a internet site as well. I just started on it, but it gives you workout plans as well as video instruction per exercise and time cues for those programs with multiple exercises/rest periods. You can "follow" friends on their for extra support as well if they are also using the app.
  • etxgal
    etxgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It also has trackers for programs like Yoga, Biking, Swimming, etc.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go for a bike ride around my neighborhood. But since you said your neighborhood isn't the safest, you could Google local bike trails or go to the park.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

i know i need to just EXERCISE. so this is half tongue-in-cheek. but what kinds of "fun" exercising do you do? i'm not the gym type and never will be (and couldn't afford it right now even if i wanted to) so share your fun tips!

(and yes, i do sometimes put the music on and dance around like an idiot, so that's covered.)

Not understanding the "need" part. For weight loss you need to exercise? No, actually you don't.

To be healthy it is recommended people get about 30 minutes of exercise a day. If you hate exercising, go walking at a shopping mall for exercise. You can window shop while getting in your 30 minutes.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yeah, you kind of just have to get out and try new things sans excuses (weather, neighborhood, etc). There will always be something that will hinder physical activity. I feel one just has to overcome it, or work around it.

Be adventurous, make up stuff to do, just get out and do it.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You said that you enjoy walking. Why not try hiking then? Start easy, then go longer, harder. There has got to be good hiking trails near you. Also, if you can fit in one long day hike a week, chances are good you don't have to do a whole lot else the rest of the week.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Just remember it takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, 8 weeks for friends and family to see, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world! ")))
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I injured my knee a year ago, and could not walk a step without crutches until December. I now walk about 6 or so miles a day.

Do you have a game console. I use Wii Walk it Out, which is fun.
  • minime336
    minime336 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    many people had good ideas for you...I'm not crazy about running because I believe (as do many doctors and experts) that it causes too many injuries and stress on the joints...plus, if you hate exercise, that would really drive the point home...I hate exercise, too, because I sweat very easy and that's so annoying...I think I'm a lot like you because I love dance and I have a stationary bike, as well...movement is good in the forms your body can handle it, until you can handle more...so I have something interesting (I think) to share with you, and maybe some of those "hard bodies" out there will comment about this, too...have you heard of Dr. Doug McGuff? According to latest research (and this is being talked about more, as well), short periods (like 10min once or twice a week) of high intensity resistance training is BETTER than hours of aerobic exercise...to find out why that is, you can watch Dr. McGuff's videos on YouTube or read his book written with John Little called "Body By Science: A Research Based Program To Get The Results You Want In 12 Minutes A Week" ...it's one of those things that sounds too good to be true, but is...my son is a fitness nut and shared it with me...see what you think...nice to know that we could do this and still enjoy the other forms of movement when we wanted to do them without having to worry about how many hours we're spending in the process...one of the main findings in the research has to do with reaching plateaus, and this new format bypasses the plateau altogether...enough said...best of luck to you healing and "finding your groove" with movement and weight loss ;o)