hurtful comments = motivation?

Options
13»

Replies

• weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I "try" not to let it phase me. My brother has called me fatty for years, tell me I'll always be a fatty, no matter what I do. My dad says I need to lose weight,(he's always been slender) but yet, refuses to eat my healthy food. :noway: My mom now tells me I'm neglecting my husband because I spend too much time exercising. :grumble: I also lost my best friend of 23 years, because she's pissing I'm losing weight. She barely talks to me or whats to see me anymore.

Well, I'm setting out to prove them all wrong, I will be a healthy skinny, beautiful and fit lady, someday. No one can stop me!!!

Wow, it seems like you can't win with any of them. I am proud of you for doing this to get healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    ...... to "PIINCHI"

you said " I was dating a guy who one night while cuddling on the couch, pinched my stomach skin and said "babe you're so perfect, if you just lost a couple more inches from your stomach..."

I hope you said back to him ..... "babe, you're so perfect, if you'd only get a brain ...." :drinker:
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    yes and no...it's a very complicated and delicate situation...there's a more important question lurking behind your question....search your soul and be true to yourself...you'll find the answers...
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I "try" not to let it phase me. My brother has called me fatty for years, tell me I'll always be a fatty, no matter what I do. My dad says I need to lose weight,(he's always been slender) but yet, refuses to eat my healthy food. :noway: My mom now tells me I'm neglecting my husband because I spend too much time exercising. :grumble: I also lost my best friend of 23 years, because she's pissing I'm losing weight. She barely talks to me or whats to see me anymore.

Well, I'm setting out to prove them all wrong, I will be a healthy skinny, beautiful and fit lady, someday. No one can stop me!!!

Wow, it seems like you can't win with any of them. I am proud of you for doing this to get healthy! :flowerforyou:

Yep, I feel like it sometimes. Thankfully my husband is the complete opposite of my family. I feel like he's my only support outside of MFP. He is awesome, he fell in love with me at my highest weight, and he knows I'm doing this for me and not him. He does nothing but praise me. Where everyone else just hates on me.
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    One of the things that actually kicked me in the butt the most was that the midwife told me she was having a hard time finding the heartbeat because I had too many fat layers. Never again.
  • Fitnus
    Fitnus Posts: 1
    Options
    You MIL is jealous that you married her son, as twisted as that sounds. People that have to criticize others do so in order to make them feel superior. I'm 60 years old and even though I don't always agree with what my kids do in life health or otherwise, I keep it to my self it only causes insecurity in them and whatever else that may push their buttons. You weigh 130 lbs. unless you are a little person, it doesn't sound like you are overweight by much. Consider the source and ask your husband to maybe talk with her and let her know he thinks you are great! He may want to mention that the snide remarks are not nice and maybe if she can be nice, don't say anything at all or you won't come to visit. You are now his immediate family and he should protect you.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    No...but no one says anything to men...we are more accepted as fat people then women. If some stranger said something to me, I'm not sure what I would think...I damn sure wouldn't be motivated...When a family member's son was about 12 he called me "shrek"...I wasn't offended...but perhaps I thought I needed to be in better shape. I didn't start working out at that time, however.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    do not let hurtful comments motivate you!! if you truly want to lose weight...do it for yourself, not because people say hurtful things to try and get you motivated. i used to do that, but after dieting for a few weeks i would forget the comments that motivated me, or i would give up and think....f**k you. now i have lost the weight without anyone pushin me to......i did it for myself. thats what you need to do.....do it for yourself! good luck, i wish you much success.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think truly hurtful comments are inappropriate and not useful. However, hard but honest criticism is sometimes needed. I have seen far too many MFPrs seeking quick solutions to a problem that cannot be solved quickly.

I agree
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i've been trying to use them as fuel. my mom is kind of... a *kitten*? LOL she likes to make comments about the way i look (not just me though... i think she does it to all my sisters, but she's meaner to me). she will tell her friends "marie looks great!" but when it's just us she tells me to have my extra skin cut off (i have excess from the weight loss and having kids...). once she told me i looked fat. gee, thanks mom. i had only dropped 100lbs at that point. i guess it wasn't good enough? psh...whatever woman. LOL

what's more encouraging to me is hearing the positive. i have a decent group of people following my weight loss/fitness efforts via facebook (old friends, family, etc) and their comments and encouragement mean so much to me.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Nope... sorry. I was married 16 years married to a man that always put me down, I could never ever lose the weight despite really wanting to please him. Now that he is no longer in my life, I am finally finding ample motivation of my own... the positive, self-loving kind! :wink:

Wow! That's horrible, but I'm glad you got away from him. No one deserves that treatment! I was/is put down nonstop by family. It really f*cked me up, being told all the time by my parents I'm no good, I need to be more like my perfect brother and nothing I ever did was worthy of their love. It was why I had tried to kill myself twice before meeting my husband, and I met him at 17. I fell for my husband because he was the 1st person to ever respect me and was kind to me and told me I was beautiful even at my fattest. He still does nothing but spoil me with love and kindness. I'm blessed to have him, he changed my life!