Where are you from and what is your favorite hometown food?

Options

Replies

• spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hiya i'm from Essex in England and our staple would have to be a kebab after a night out of the beer :drinker:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    we have something called a no-name here, and we call our sub sandwiches grinders.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ontario. There is this great place where I live called Pierre's Poutine. So good. Real French poutine.

oh yummm. poutine is fricking delish.

it's just not the same in the states.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    we have something called a no-name here, and we call our sub sandwiches grinders.

We say grinders too!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Hi! I'm from Chardon, Ohio, a little place in NE Ohio. We're known for our maple syrup production, so my favorite food from here is definitely the maple stir. Oh, and this great little pizza shop called Noce's on our square :). Haven't had it an ages though.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Nebraska and I love runzas. They are like a square calzone.
  • brianyeager
    Options
    I am originally from Steubenville, OH. My favorite hometown food is a Meatball Heel from Naples Italian Restaurant. A Meatball Heel is a half loaf of baked french bread that is hollowed out and stuffed with meatballs, sauce, and cheese. Then, the hollowed out bread is stuffed in to plug the hole as it is baked. It is AWESOME. I cannot imagine how many calories it is though.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Longview, Texas. There is nothing better (to me!) than TEX-MEX!!! Live in Ohio, now, and the Mexican food is just not the same. :(
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Usually you can't get the good stuff unless you are in Quebec, but this man is straight from Quebec and knows how to do it right.
    I'm from Ontario. There is this great place where I live called Pierre's Poutine. So good. Real French poutine.

oh yummm. poutine is fricking delish.

it's just not the same in the states.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm from a small town in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My favorite hometown food by far is the donairs from this little pizza shop down the road from where I grew up called Papa J's. You haven't had a real donair until you've had a Papa J's donair.

Oh my goodness I was going to post about Donairs...and donair sauce yummmm! According to Wikipedia, you can only get donairs and garlic fingers with donair sauce on the East Coast.

I'm from Halifax, but I haven't lived there for 10 years. Every time I visit I have to get garlic fingers. And ketchup chips!

Even the pizza is better here than most parts of Canada. I was in Cornwall, Ont. once a while back and went to order a pizza and they didn't have combination! What kind of pizza place doesn't have combination pizza? They had something called "all dressed", but it had a bunch of onions and stuff on it. My friends who live out west are always saying how much they miss the pizza here so I guess Alberta doesn't have very good pizza either.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm from Indiana....most people think of corn (which I LOVE, but limit myself) but I always thought of pork tenderloins. They are everywhere here. I personally think mine are the best, but they are so disgusting I doubt imwill ever make another - breaded and fried in pig lard. Yuk yuk yuk. But the outcome is amazingly delicious!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Liverpool originally.

And Scouse.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    It's ironic..I live in Leicester, a city smack in the middle of England and our signature food is Indian, especially curry. I havn't been to a single city in the UK that exceeds the curry served in Leicester ( and that includes bradford and manchester). Also, some of our fish and chip shops have won national competitions. If you eat decent chip shop chips, I promise you , you will never ever eat another french fry again.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Puerto Rico and I would say my favorite food from the island is a nice mofongo (mashed plantain ball and fried) with carne frita (pork chunks)
    However, I have lived in Maryland for 16yrs so I have to say Old Bay steamed crabs win over the PRican food!!
  • Abays10
    Abays10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im from kansas city, dont live there now I do miss the BBQ but the thing I miss the most is the Italian food mmm pasta is my weakness
  • Roos2104
    Roos2104 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. My favourite dutch food would be cheese!! Edam, Gouda, Leerdammer, Maasdammer, Old Amsterdam..young cheese, old cheese, herb cheese, smoked cheese, goat's cheese etc etc..yes I'm a real dutch girl in that sense, can always appreciate a good cheese sandwich.
    I also love our tradition of putting chocolate sprinkles on bread. It is a legitimate normal breakfast here, to have a sandwich with chocolate sprinkles.
    In winter I really love asparagus with ham, eggs, potatoes, and butter sauce.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. My favourite dutch food would be cheese!! Edam, Gouda, Leerdammer, Maasdammer, Old Amsterdam..young cheese, old cheese, herb cheese, smoked cheese, goat's cheese etc etc..yes I'm a real dutch girl in that sense, can always appreciate a good cheese sandwich.
    I also love our tradition of putting chocolate sprinkles on bread. It is a legitimate normal breakfast here, to have a sandwich with chocolate sprinkles.
    In winter I really love asparagus with ham, eggs, potatoes, and butter sauce.

^^^ ALL OF THIS ^^ !!!!
  • BehindtheScenes
    BehindtheScenes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Cincinnati, OH area and there's nothing like Graeter's mocha chocolate chip ice cream...especially after a Skyline 4-way :love: haven't had either in months and probably won't for the foreseeable future.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Chillicothe, Ohio and the freaking best doughnuts in the world come from New System Bakery. I live on a different continent now and have been unable to find a doughnut half as tasty.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm from Bronx, NY and I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee their Chinese food. Best I've ever had