Where are you from and what is your favorite hometown food?

Options

Replies

• mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    Kansas City. And BBQ, naturally.

THIS
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm from Lafayette, Indiana and my favorite hometown food is a breaded pork tenderloin and fresh sweet corn! YUMMMMM!
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm from the East of England and for me it has to be fish and chips!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am from central Maine and it has to be the Whoopie Pies! I work right near the bakery that makes the Wicked Whoopie Pie that was featured on Oprah.

Of course we are also known for our lobster, but I am allergic :grumble:
  • teach54
    teach54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WNY (the whole area around Buffalo NY) and the top two are beef on weck (pronounced "wick") and, of course, chicken wings. Nobody around here calls them Buffalo wings, they're just wings.
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm from Tacoma, WA. I don't know if we have a "hometown" food per se, but seafood is very popular and plentiful here. I love crab, lobster, shrimp, and salmon, and all of them are pretty easy to get here. Oh and clam chowder!

We have a lot of international cuisine though. When we decide to dine out, we have our choice of authentic Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Greek, American/traditional, Pacific Northwest specialty, Southern, German, French, Italian, general Mediterranean, and Korean cuisine all within a five mile radius. I love living here!
  • lancemahfouz
    Options
    Central Louisiana and its got to be those mudbugs! Crawfish are the **** and I think yall try them. You come to Louisiana each year to eat them!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I am from Northwest Indiana and there is this little restaurant called China King. They have THE ABSOLUTE best Mei Fun EVER! I have not found ANYTHING taste nearly as good as theirs. It is truly amazing. I always get the house special, a little spicy - so it has chicken, shrimp, pork and red chiles in it. They had a sister store the next town over and their Mei Fun was TERRIBLE. I don't know what China King does, but I ordered it every other Friday for 2 years straight. I moved about 20 miles away so now I don't get to eat it anymore. I did splurge a couple weeks ago and picked some up and brought it home. Even after a 20 mile drive, it was STILL amazing.
  • doloreskent
    doloreskent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am from Chihuahua Mexico and my favorite growing up food is paella (my mother is spanish) and fire roasted goat meat in a tortilla with lime juice and a beer!
    But now I have been 90% vegan for the last 3 years!!! Bummer! I say 90% since once in a while if I go to Mexico or travel I find it hard to be vegan 100%.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Boston and I love our New England Clam Chowder!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Of course, beer and brats, albeit quite unhealthy but damn good especially when attending a Brewers baseball game.
  • 1n2m3g
    1n2m3g Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm from Rhode Island and we have Hot Wieners. They're slightly different from the "coney island" type. it's a certain type of wiener in a new england style bun with meat sauce, mustard, onions, and celery salt on it. They are terrible for you and there's no good way to modify them to be healthy, so I just have it as a once in a while treat. I used to be able to eat 2-3 without a flinch, now I limit myself to one. lol

I am also from RI and I love these! Also any food from Federal Hill, especially canolli's. Yum.
  • brightnewday
    brightnewday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From Seattle and luckily there is a lot of fresh seafood that I have no guilt eating. But I do miss the occasional ****'s Drive-in burger and Cupcake Royale, and Piroshki Piroshki at Pike Place. Now living in Portland, it's hard to say no to the beer and donuts! (Voo Doo Mango Tango is my favorite!!)
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm originally from a small city in Ontario, Canada and we have a couple of chocolateries there that make the mint chocolates called "mint smoothies" or simply "minties". The inside of the chocolate is very smooth (almost buttery) and slightly softer than a regular chocolate. So good.
    There's also a chip (french fries) truck that parks near city hall and they serve the chips smothered in salt and malt vinegar.
    Both foods are so bad for me, but they're so delicious and remind me of special treats growing up. When I was little, Mum and I would sometimes buy a big cup of the chips and walk down to the park to watch the ducks. Then at Christmas and Easter, my sister and I would get good quality chocolates from the chocolateries (we switched our allegiance after one of the chocolatiers retired and his successor started mucking around with the classic recipes...).
    mmmmmmmmm
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm from Manila, Philippines & I grew up eating mostly Hispanic & some Filipino dishes since I come from a mixed family background. My faves are Paella, Callos a la Madrilena that my grandmother prepares (she is Spanish), Lomo Saltado (Peruvian dish) that my mom does, Burritos, Fajitas, Kare-Kare (ox tripe stewed in peanut butter sauce), Beef/Chicken Curry. I love spicy foods but too bad the majority of local foods here lacks spice so chili peppers are a must for me (I put 5-10 pcs in most of the foods that I eat).

But my ultimate food addictions are Japanese foods, Mediterranean foods, salmon, tuna & other seafoods.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From Pennsylvania. My favorite food from this area is pot pie. (Not the pie with the pastry top but the stew type which is considered a Pa Dutch dish)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm from Long island, NY, and it has to be pizza.

don't forget the bagels!

I'm from Indiana and probably one of the best things you can eat here is the corn. We always have the best corn. We also have some great BBQ
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am from a small town (Wilkes-Barre) in Pennsylvania, however no longer live there have lived in the Atlanta area for over twenty years now. But... the best foods from home have to be the homemade perogies, kielbassa, potato pancakes, and of course pizza. I am not Polish but love Polish foods! All which are very bad for your health!
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like good, old home style Tex-Mex to get a Texas gal going. Well unless it is fried catfish, chicken or hotdogs. So I limit myself to once a month and decide which I want the most. Gotta say the Tex-Mex usually wins out, hands-down because I love the salsa and jalapenos.

From 1994 - 1999 I drove an 18-wheeler cross country and believe me there is NO place in the US that has Mexican Food like Texas. Of course every real Mexican Food Restaurant (I don't count Taco Bell, Taco Bueno & those places real Mexican food) you go into has a different flavor and that makes for a good mix. YUM I am getting hungry now.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hawaii ~ spicy ahi poke with hot white rice!!!