Binged! :( :( :(

Options
I was doing so well and then last night ate around 3500 calories on a binge :( Logged it all this morning and now feel even worse than I did last night. Also weighed myself which didn't help - gone up 2kgs overnight!

I go on holiday on Tuesday and feel like I've undone all of my hard work... WHY did I do this so close to my goal!? Had done 4 weeks binge free until yesterday :'(

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Heya - I know how you feel. I ate so much last night; I never really considered myself a binger though. I just ate and ate; marshmallows, chips, dry cereal >.<
    I didn't log it, but I estimate that my day was anywhere between 2,000-2,500 calories. I felt really bad for not logging it and receiving good feedback on my day from my MFP friends :ohwell:
    But today was a new day. I went for a long run, and am determined to be under my calorie goal.
    If you only ate 3,500 calories yesterday there's no way you gained 2 kilos from that binge - you would've needed to overeat by 14,000 calories to gain 2 kilos.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you have been cutting calories for a while and have a binge for 1 day then youll be fine.

Some of us call this a cheat day or spike day.

Dont be surprised to weigh less tomorrow after you take a dump.
  • scpdxb
    scpdxb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just have to pull it back today and tomorrow... I hope this 2kgs is water and I am back down by Tuesday. Onwards and upwards!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I binge 3x a week so dont beat yourself up over it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If you have been cutting calories for a while and have a binge for 1 day then youll be fine.

Some of us call this a cheat day or spike day.

Dont be surprised to weigh less tomorrow after you take a dump.

I love how you said that! :bigsmile:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    feeling over bad is as damaging as binging :-) My advice is stop it now - forget yesterday and start afresh today. Keep of the simple carbs as well as they can cause you to feel crap and binge :-) think about what you are doing today and look forward.....
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I do it every week on Sundays I enjoy a really big full- English Breakfast and balance the cals around the meal, and it's great... or at least it works for me.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Hey don't worry - I binged yday too! It was my "post binge guilt" that directed me to joining this very supportive community. Staying away from the junk is a second by second struggle for me but once I get started it's like my body knows I'm trying to prevent it and I go into frenzied stuff my face mode. Putting it in my diary felt humiliating at first but then I realized it used to be much worse - plus showing the world my binge felt extremely liberating. Having it put down reminded me of why I'm doing this. I won't beat myself up though, that chocolate was yummy, it just doesn't go hand in hand with my LONG TERM goals. I am keeping Sundays as my rest and cheat day xD It is a great day to not worry and as long as I know I get a day off when it came around in the past I actually didn't feel like eating all that much crap. Best of luck! xxx
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I binged yesterday today, knowing that this morning was weigh in.

Yeah I gained 2lbs but I know thats just all the extra food and sodium inside me and come tmorw I can weigh in again and the weight would have dropped off again...

...and the truffles I ate tasted soooooo gooood! Well worth 1 day of fake gain :happy:
  • misslaidlaw
    misslaidlaw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I reached 2500 on my binge yesterday too. But it's cool. I will do better today.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can avoid binging by making sure you get some good quality whole food slow burning low gi carb in the morning and even up until lunch time (just not at dinner). If you cut carbs out or they are too low, then you won't have a slow steady supply of blood glucose and so you will crave fast burn high gi wrong carbs by the evening. don't set yourself up for failure.

But... The good thing about binging is that it gets your leptin levels back up, so that 2kg should come off pretty quickly and then some. It is easier to lose weight when your leptin levels are up.

So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, check over your diary and make some adjustments so that you don't walk into that trap again, and be happy that you just reset your leptin levels because it means you are good to go. :-)
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Being addicted to food is just like being addicted to alcohol, only it is acceptable until we get large! Alcoholics who want to find a way out of their hole just stop drinking (very VERY oversimplified here). For those of us who are food addicts it is much more difficult because we need to eat to survive. Therefore, choose something - chips, soda, cookies, ice cream, SOMETHING that you can pull out of your life, for now! I do not keep cookies in my house - and if I have them here it is only ginger snaps or molasses cookies for my son, both of which I hate! He is satisfied and I am not going to be tempted. When I totally have a handle on it, I will bring them back and then only eat a few - my binge will be two or three oreos, not a whole sleeve. If I can't do it, they won't be here! Good Luck to you.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    everyone needs a good binge now and again.

i plan my cheat days.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Avoiding those foods that we like is a recipe for disaster... I eat good all week and on the weekends have a couple free meals/ cheat meals... Thursday night had Supreme Nachos, Buffalo Wings, a Loaded Pizza, and capped the night off with a Peanut butter cup blizzard... Never once feeling guilty or beating myself up for what I just ate.. Went to bed got up the next morning and got right back on point. I had some comfort food which satisfied my cravings and knowing I can have that again next weekend will keep me on point this week... Don't deprive yourself it will only set you up to fail... You have to work on your relationship with food, I have gained control over food now to the point there are some weekends where I planned a cheat meal the meal came and I opted for a Large homemade chicken salad or something healthy like that even though I had the option for the cheat meal.. Baby steps..... You will get there...... Take it one day at a time.... Best of Luck....
  • mamavanryan
    mamavanryan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    everyone needs a good binge now and again.

i plan my cheat days.

So do I and that works great.
    I usually have a binge day on Saturday or Sunday... because it's weekend and temptation is everywhere :) plus my Weigh in is on Friday.. yes strategically planned, right before Binge Day ;)
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    NEW DAY!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    You didn't undo any of the hard work. You may have only slowed your progress down a little at worst. You only undid all progress if you stop and quit this site totally. Go back to your old lifestyle and don't do anything beneficial for yourself anymore.

I recently did one of those days lately. I am now down another 1.4 lbs since then. I was not worried about the food. Move on and keep logging. The weight will go.

I just like to say Ed is my hero on here.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    it happens. it's a single day. take a deep breath and start fresh the next meal! you logged it all which is wonderful! i've had a couple of cheat meals this weekend. i am also very close to my goal (23lbs away... that's close for me LOL), but i figured if i'm doing good more often than doing "bad" then i will still hit my goal.
  • 100lbstoloosefemale
    100lbstoloosefemale Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i love how you all can support one another and not beat eachother up about it,, 2 days ago ihave ahot dog with chili and cheese and my boss at work is still hassling me about it,, and its like,,ya i know i made a mistake but gosh , get over it by now,,i did better yesturday,,except i had vanilla icecream but it all was in my cals, except i did go 8fat over
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    don't be silly! you can't gain 2kgs in one day. most probs you need a poop or it's water weight.
    don't worry :)

nothing wrong with a binge. need to shock the system every now and then otherwise progress stalls