Getting a Dog!

Options
13»

Replies

• CStone17
    CStone17 Posts: 37
    Options
    Dogs, dogs, dogs. Oh gosh, you will not regret it. But regarding puppies vs. adopting: When I was a kid (9 years ago), we weren't really aware of the issues of getting a puppy from a breeder so that's what my parents did. My mom had a Great Dane when she was a kid and had basically waited her whole life to be ready financially and living situation-wise for one of her own. Her childhood was really messed up and that dog was one of the only good things. He'd protect her even from her own family if she fell asleep on the couch and someone tried to pick her up... they had to wake her up and let her walk up to bed herself. Our girl once grabbed my dad's arm in her mouth, gently but firmly, because he was about to play-swot at my sister, before he could even make contact.

We've gotten three dogs since then from shelters, once we learned backyard breeders are really awful. We got a beagle when our girl Dane was 2 and he passed when she was 7 and we had to get another dog ASAP because she was so, so, so lethargic. She'd just lie on the couch, head towards the door, waiting for him to come home. It's a good thing both the girls you're interested in are the same age and will hopefully live equally long, happy lives. The mutt we got then came with really excellent training and he basically worships the girl Dane (we don't have to clean her floppy ears anymore because he always licks them in love and submission... he does that to humans too).

Last fall I was just casually looking at Great Danes on Petfinder (a really bad habit) and saw a guy who had been majorly abused. He was a fawn boy just like my mom had had as a kid (our girl is black) and I'd post his adoption ad pictures here if I wasn't worried about breaking all your hearts. I showed it to my dad, broke his heart, and drove hours to get him a few days later. He's dumber than a box of rocks from being hit on the head as a puppy but he's just adorable beyond belief. He's what made me realize adoption is the only way to go. He's purebred and handsome like any breeder pup, but his story makes people cry and he still has a hard time remembering sometimes that we love him totally and will never, ever hurt him.

Sorry... I get a little long-winded when it comes to dogs.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First off, I am a dog trainer and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll respond as best I can, or I will point you in the right direction for good resources.

In total, I have four dogs - three full grown, and one 14 week old puppy. My first dog, Tugs, is a terri/poo that came with my fiance when he moved out of his parent's home. She was an absolute terror. Patience and proper handling are key to training a new dog in your home. She is now 7 years old and happy as a clam.

My second dog I got from the humane society. Her name is Kira, and she was a nervous wreck. With proper care and discipline, she was able to figure out her place in our world pretty quickly and is now my most sophisticated speaker (dog language) and I use her when I'm training other dogs as an example of what dog language looks like,

My third is a two and a half year old german shepherd named Bear. He wandered into my yard as a pup and decided he didn't want to leave. He is my pride and joy - we raised him very strictly so he knew all of his boundaries and limitations, but he was also encouraged to be calm and excited given the situation. He is now everyone's favourite, and he can even have kids stick their hands in his massive jaws and he doesn't care. He's such a teddy bear, and only at two years old. (dogs mature fully at 3 years old, just so's you know)

My fourth we just took from the humane society three weeks ago. His name is Stetson and he's 14 weeks old. I'm remembering all of my puppy rules with him, so if you do decide to get a pup, feel free to ask me anything.

What I want to stress is that you do your research. You can adopt a puppy, but remember that the puppy will grow into a full-grown dog. What you think may be cute in a puppy (puppy barks, nipping at your ankles, jumping up for attention, cuddling on the bed, etc.) could lead to serious issues as an adult, if encouraged. Make sure that you find yourself a good trainer in your area (Petsmart runs an awesome program and humane societies typically offer obedience classes as well) and do your research on the breed. Don't just ask friends or family. Look the breed up online and read anything and everything you can about it. Don't listen to heresay. I can't even begin to tell you about how many people adopt a labrador after being told that they are wonderful family dogs, but don't know about how needy labs are. A lot of people think pit bulls are big, evil and scary when it actuality, they were THE family dog in the early 1900's in amercia. They still are great family dogs.

How your dog will grow up is how YOU train it. Do your research. Watch the Dog Whisperer, At the End of My Leash, order books online, go to Petsmart and talk to their trainers, go to local doggie daycares, etc.

You need to also figure out if you want to crate train or if you're going to allow the dog to roam around your house when you're not home. Both have their merits, but it is something you need to decide before you get your dog(s), and then do your research accordingly.

I guess, to sum this all up, I'm just saying do your research. Talk to professionals and get all the details you can before the dog even steps a paw into your home. You need to be ready for it.

And yes, it's a daunting task. Everything you do will need training - the dog will need stair manners so it's not knocking you over, door manners so it's not charging the door/running out the door whenever it's opened, and furniture manners as well as proper leash manners, social manners, etc.

Sorry about the rant, lol. You will NOT regret adopting a puppy or a rescue. Dogs bring so much joy to my life, and I'm sure they will with you as well. Just make sure you are prepared and ready with lots of patience (for that 3am wake-up-call to go outside, or the accidents that will happen in your home), understanding (that they can NOT understand a word you're saying, so being patient and consistent with training is important), and love (this ranges from giving them food, water, and shelter to the nightly snuggles during House). =D Good luck! :drinker:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Make sure you know the health status of the dogs. While they are fabulous pets, cocker spaniels suffer from many health problems. Caring for a dog with chronic illness is a very expensive proposition. But, of course, once they are are part of our family, we do it. I can't imagine not having a dog in my life.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've had dogs my whole life.. My first dog *I* owned was a rescue poodle at 13. She was 18 months old, abused, neglected and just wanted someone to love her. At that point my mom was still helping with vet bills but i was responsible for training and care, grooming, bathing, feeding etc. Her name was Angel and she suited her name. She and i really had a connection that can never be replaced. I moved with her during university and lived off campus because i would not give up my dog. She stayed at my side until she was 15 and died in my arms. Saddest moment of my whole life but it was the best death I could give my sweet Angel girl.

i took a break from owning dogs for a few months while i grieved, then decided I needed another dog. a "Not Angel" dog. I had missed the whole puppy experience with Angel, and so i went looking for a puppy. I know, i'm gonna catch crap on here for getting a puppy from a breeder, but i did my due diligence in sourcing a dog who was not from a breeding mill. I visited the breeder 3 times other than picking the dog up. She showed poodles and was taking a year off of the confirmation show ring to put a few litters on the ground. (We used to show collies and that is how the cycle goes when a show dog has puppies). Pixie came to me microchipped and i signed an agreement with the breeder to get pixie fixed as soon as she was of age and to provide that documentation since she was being bought as a pet and not a show dog. I don't regret for one moment that i took that moment in my life to have a 'puppy' experience. I also agree with not supporting puppy mills who put profit over the dogs care. That being said I got my little beanie baby sized poodle puppy expecting to eventually have an adult dog.

I guess the moral of my story is that if you buy a puppy make sure it's from a good source but there's nothing wrong with a rescue. My only caution with a rescue is sometimes they come to you with health problems if they 're being rescued directly from a bad situation. Getting Angel home, we spent near 5k getting her hip surgery, dental, and refeeding her top quality food. Angel was an extreme case but it can happen, and it was the best investment i ever made.

off topic: To the person who said watch 'at the end of my leash', please know that Brad Pattison has been run out of calgary for his poor poor training techniques and is known to hit dogs. I rented a room from him for a total of 2 months before moving out because i was not comfortable leaving him with my Angel. Please do some research on this guy, he might present some good ideas on his show but really take what he says with a grain of salt.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Deleted