Dog as running buddy

Options

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have a basset hound, so he is not a good running buddy. He is better suit for cuddling post work out :laugh: Sometimes when I take him on walks he will just lay down where ever we are once he has decided he is done walking. We take short walks.

That's awesome! I got a good chuckle out of that. Those basset hounds are a riot. If it wasn't for that bark they have I'd love to own one myself.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We've been taking our three dogs out with us as we do a modified C25K program. Good motivation to know that if we skip a day, the dogs are super hyper, esp the lab/weim mix! The boxer mix, who is around 50 pounds, has shorter legs and is a little slower than the other two, so I take her and my husbands takes the lab and ridgeback mix, since he jogs faster. We have to keep an eye on her since she overheated and broke out in hives a while back. The walk/jog has greatly improved their behavior since we started a couple months ago! They've trained right along with us!

Though the lab tends to stop and try to get his harness off. I almost took an asphalt dive once or twice because of that. Ive also twisted my ankle twice because he moved out in front of me and I tripped!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I run with my buddy a Black Labador mix named Marley. He sets a good pace for me and I think laughs at me because my jogging pace is his fast walk. He pulls me when I want to stop and when I do sprints ensures that I do not toss the towel in early. Marley loves to take quick marking and sniffing breaks but never slows me down, like I said he laughs at me.
    My Great Dane, Annie is an older girl so she wears down early but gives her full effort and tries to prove that she should be allowed to run with the boys but I can see how it wears her down. She gets private walks because of this.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually got my dog when she was 4 mos old so that I would be forced to go running (and for my 12 yo son). My son and I went to a shelter and saw this energetic chocolate lab puppy. When I researched and saw that labs need at least 20-30 mins a day of outdoor activity, I knew that was the dog for me, I'd HAVE to go out every day for exercise. As soon as I brought her home, I took her for walk/jogs, quickly building up to 2 or 3 miles a day.

Now, we jog 3-4 miles every day over hilly trails...and this in NC. I try to go early in the morning or late in the evening because it's sooo hot in the summer. Even though, our best runs are in the driving rain. I have her on a retractable leash and she runs around as I jog. I've trained her "no pulling!", so she doesn't pull on the lead. And I've trained her to "heel," when I want her close to me. Every so often I let her off the leash to chase squirrels into the woods--it's beautiful to watch her fly. The furthest we've gone is 6 miles.

I'm so glad I got her. I feel safe jogging with her, even late at night. She's big and lean at 66lbs. I'd say she's leaner than most labs, I think because she runs with me EVERY day. And she's ALWAYS ready to go for a jog...

Personally, I wouldn't wait to start taking your dog on jogs/walks. Just don't overtire the pup. I took her walk/jogging the first day I brought her home and with her so young, she trained really quickly to do what I wanted her to do. Everyone compliments me on how well-behaved she is out on a jog.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    <--- Casey my walking buddy.
    I don't run. I walk... My pic is my 120lbs Female Lab. All I have to do is put my shoes on and she is following me around the house. Its now to the point I am not allowed to check my mail box. If I do she starts to walk down the road, thinking we're going for a walk. Matter of fact, I am getting ready to go on in a few minutes.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I have a doberman who I actually bought with having him as a running partner in mind. I waited a long time for him mature enough to start running (per my vets advice).

Well, he's obedience trained but it all flies out of his head as soon as the leash goes on for a run. Then he wants to pull and chase cars and becomes a complete as$ so much to the point that makes it completely unpleasant for me since I don't weigh much more than him.

I have to figure something out but he just seems to be getting worse than better otherwise short walks are all he's going to get.

I had a min pin once that was the best walking/running partner I ever had. She died at 14 years ago. I still miss her.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I run with my Australian shepherd Quigley. He's a great motivator because he always wants to run fast. :laugh:
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    By the way doggy-people, feel free to add me as a friend :smile: People who love dogs are lovely people in my experience!
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a standard poodle and she will go on runs with me. The only problem is as I have gotten faster, she wants to go the same pace. I like running between 10-11 minute miles for 2-3 mile runs and 11-12 minutes for anything longer. She likes to run the 11-12 minute pace no matter what (except to dart after squirrels). But as long as it is not hot out she can do 5 mile runs with me, when it is hot out she tops out at 2.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have two greyhounds and started couch25k thinking I'd be able to run with them - WRONG! they weave too much and like to stop all of a sudden to sniff no matter how I try to keep them going. Naturally if I've just done a really heavy workout and want to take them for a leisurely walk they're suddenly ready to enter a sprinting contest.

I also figured grey's would naturally want to run a lot since that's what they're trained to do. I read on a greyhound site that because they're used the race-length distances they often don't do well with a sustained run of more than a few minutes. After all, they're born couch potatos. Mine sack out four 4-5 hours after a 20 minute walk! Maybe I need to borrow another dog! (or adopt another 4 or 5 in hopes of getting one that will run)

Their pics are on my profile if anyone is interested. Sadly Samantha in my main profile pick is no longer with us - she's up there chasing bunnies and eating all the kibbles she wants now
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I run with my lab/boxer and he "encourages" me to push harder. He could run all day!

It's been hard to run with him in the heat but we try to go later when it cools down

Keep in mind that a fit human can run a dog into heatstroke. While they may outsprint you, they can't keep up with humans over long distances in the heat. Canines don't sweat and don't handle lots of exercise in heat as well as humans. You need to be very careful with dogs working in the heat--especially if they are indoor couch potatoes. Breeds with shortened muzzles like boxers, bull dogs are especially prone to heatstroke.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Very true about the risk of overheating the dogs this time of year. I've been running with a Camelback full of water for mine. I can run 5 miles without needing water, even in the Arizona heat, no problem. The dogs need frequent breaks, water, and sometimes to just walk instead. Fine with me. We're out to have fun, not to have problems.

Here's a short video I made a couple of years ago when my sweet old lab cross was still alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6I9NIZoRU&amp;list=UUB_0HeS6xz5cD4el13vPfUA&amp;index=3&amp;feature=plcp
  • Nikcole83
    Nikcole83 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a pug, so it's really hard to run with her solely based on the fact that she gets tired quickly. Now before her I had a Pit Bull and I loved running with her. She was very strong and such a good dog that she didn't run too fast or too slow. She stayed on pace and didn't ever really veer off. But I think even a dog running with you is better than nothing. It's motivating.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I just started to bring my husky when I "run" (I´m sooo slow!), because my husband doesn´t like it when I run alone. She can easily run all day and I´m dying in no time.She adopted my pace- much to my surprise- and is strolling next to me panting and wheezing. The difficult part is to avoid that she stops to sniff all the time. We´re working on that. We have made the compromize that she can sniff when I walk, not when I "run". It´s much easier to run alone, but not as fun. She loves it and pushes me a little further.
  • jammet80
    jammet80 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a black lab mix, Rudy, and we love to jog together. But I have stopped lately due to the heat. Him being so dark he gets over-heated so easily. He does bug me a bit when I'm chugging along and he has to stop and jerk the leash just to sniff.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I have a corgi /shi-tzu mix who runs with me (short legs and all!) She's actually quite the motivator to get me out there some days... but she would hinder me on longer runs, because I'm afraid to take her much more than 2-3 miles.
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it s very hot in many parts of the US. Britain is a complete wash-out. Getting used to running in the rain! Quite nice actualy as it is warm (not hot).

The biggest potential risk to Florence's wellbeing is the seagulls. Yesterday she got dive bombed although she didnt really seem to notice! They swoop down really close then try and poo on her. Anybody else live by the sea and have the same problem?
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a German Shepherd named Kai and he loves to run. It's winter here and the colder it is the happier he is. He knows when we're running that we're at work, so he'll stop to do his business, but otherwise there's no stopping for sniffs. He'll acknolwedge passing dogs with a turn of the head and keep charging forward. Cats though. Cats can cause trouble if I'm not paying attention! He's great at pacing for sprints - if he's not in full canter with ears back, I'm taking it too easy.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a Lab called Molly, I've not yet started to run yet but I'm planning on starting shortly and will be taking Molly with me :-) on a side note I'm listening to Florence and the machine lol.

I have a Molly too but she is a German Shepherd :). She will run with me and actually keeps me motivated since she LOVES to run and would prefer that to walking...lol
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Florence tends to trot next to me if she's on the lead. I have to watch my speed, because if I speed up slightly she will be in-between a trot and a canterand so is not comfortable. I've not had to worry about it being too hot for her this summer - its rained nearly every day here in England!

I am American but we are stationed here in England and I keep waiting for summer :). Even all the locals keep telling me that all this rain is not normal for "summer". At least the hosepipe ban was lifted...haha!