Is coffee bad for you?

Options
I am a major caffeine addict. Can't go on without drinking at least 5 cups of black coffee per day. Some articles I've read online say you should reduce your caffeine intake if you're looking to lose weight. While others say caffeine helps kickstart your metabolism. Not quite sure which one to believe, and if it's the first option, it'll be very hard for me to reduce my caffeine intake. Any suggestions?

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    <<<<< my pic says it all so I might be biased. There was a piece on NBC a few weeks back that said if you drink 6 or more cups of coffee a day you are more likely to live 15% longer then non-drinkers. Who am I to argue with numbers like that? I drink it black and the stronger the better. It's my last addiction and I refuse to give it up. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It's bad for other people if I don't get some in the morning. :smile:
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    Yeah I've also read it helps prevent heart problems and keeps the arterial linings elastic etc. I can't let go of it either but I need to make sure it isn't getting in the way of losing weight, that would be terrible x_x
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I love my caffeine too. i have tons every day, for energy. i love it. couldn't live with out it. i don't think it stops weight loss, if any thing, i've heard it actually helps to rev up the metabolism. every diet pill on the market practically contains caffeine. i have lost lots of weight in the past few months, and i consume caffeine daily. drink your coffee. enjoy!
  • stonegirldancing
    stonegirldancing Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of yerba mate replacing coffee, if you enjoy the flavor. It gives the same feeling, without the headache (for me & some others - can't speak for all) and has some added nutrients.
  • pursuitoffitness
    Options
    Black coffee is good because the caffeine helps jump start your metabolism. If you add the creamer and sugar, that's where it gets bad. But coffee also dehydrates you so make sure you drink water too. Cold water and hot water also help your metabolism because your body either has to heat it up or cool it down for your body. :)
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    Black coffee is good because the caffeine helps jump start your metabolism. If you add the creamer and sugar, that's where it gets bad. But coffee also dehydrates you so make sure you drink water too. Cold water and hot water also help your metabolism because your body either has to heat it up or cool it down for your body. :)

Yeah I am more of a black coffee person. No sugar. Hate how it ruins the taste. I've read coffee is a natural diuretic but how much water can one consume? :frown:
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've also read it helps prevent heart problems and keeps the arterial linings elastic etc. I can't let go of it either but I need to make sure it isn't getting in the way of losing weight, that would be terrible x_x

Well I'm not blowing the doors off the scale, but it's coming off slow and steady. It doesn't seem to bother my loss. Not having it would stress me more and I'm a stress eater, so no coffee would slow it up. :sad: :cry: Just the thought of no coffee is very depressing, I have to go make a new pot. :drinker:

I average 6-10 cups of coffee along with 10-16 cups of water.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I can't see why caffeine would be bad for a diet - it's a stimulant, so if anything it should help you to lose weight.

Also it is a natural diuretic, but it you're drinking the recommended amount of water per day anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem
  • Koryuu
    Koryuu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that all the coffee I drink is earlier in the day. Then all the caffeine has a chance to burn off. ^_^
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Coffee, diabetes, and weight control

http://www.ajcn.org/content/84/4/682.full
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I get headaches without my coffee. I've also read many studies on the health benefits of coffee so I don't see where it's bad for you. I am not giving up my coffee anytime soon :)
  • angusmike
    angusmike Posts: 97
    Options
    Better not be. Caffine is the only drug I abuse.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am a major caffeine addict. Can't go on without drinking at least 5 cups of black coffee per day. Some articles I've read online say you should reduce your caffeine intake if you're looking to lose weight. While others say caffeine helps kickstart your metabolism. Not quite sure which one to believe, and if it's the first option, it'll be very hard for me to reduce my caffeine intake. Any suggestions?
    Where have you been all my life? You had me at cof....
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee by IV.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I drink 10 cups a day and have been losing 1.25 lbs/week since February. Enjoy!
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    I just make sure that all the coffee I drink is earlier in the day. Then all the caffeine has a chance to burn off. ^_^

Coffee barely has any calories anyway. That is, black coffee.
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    Where have you been all my life? You had me at cof....

Haha:laugh:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    coffee on its own is not bad, it's the junk that people put in it that isn't good.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The research as to whether its bad or good for you seems to be swinging toward the 'good' side (Parkinson's, CA, higher HDL, and antioxidant properties) - but most of that research was done with subjects drinking less coffee (2-3 cups) than you are drinking. However, that being said - I won't change how much you drink unless you check with your doctor. This is a personal anecdote - I had a friend years ago who never went anywhere without a cup of black, almost Turkish style, coffee in his hands. I would tease him that his teeth were turning brown (they were). His response was that he couldn't function without it. He was in his early 20's and generally very healthy so hadn't seen a doctor for years. He went to see one for some reason or another - the doc found that his BP was only 90/60. He said that it was too low, and suggested he drink coffee a few times a day to get it a bit higher (My friend was 6'3" and weighted about 180 pounds).. I always wondered what his BP would have been if he didn't already live on coffee. By the way, he fixed his brown tooth problem but adding skim milk into his coffee.. why that worked I don't know.

If you are interested in the effects of coffee on health try this search at pubmed -http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=coffee+AND+diet