do you walk or run on treadmill??

Options

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I love to run! But, because of a medical condition, I need to train in a "manned" facility (i.e. treadmill in gym). I can run races out and about because there will be lots of people around. So, my answer is that I either do HIIT, as mentioned above, or I run a 5K or 10K with a 1 to 1.5 incline to best mimic running outdoors.
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do both walk & sprint HIIT
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not to give to much information, but running on a treadmill makes my boobs hurt, so I almost always walk :)

I put it on an incline, and I rotate from holding the rails to not. If you can do it, go ahead and hold on. And for people that are bored, my gym has tvs attached to the treadmills, so I watch tv. It is still kind of boring, but if a show you like is on, you can just pay attention to it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Not to give to much information, but running on a treadmill makes my boobs hurt, so I almost always walk :)

wear a better bra :wink:
  • sugerfree2
    sugerfree2 Posts: 69
    Options
    yeah the ones where i go have the choice to watch & listen to tv & music channels or play games or just radio, couldnt just run looking at nothing !!
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    Walking is just fine. I also leisurely ride a stationary bike. Bad legs and knees after all the running i used to. I lose the weight just as fast and my cardio is just fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    None. I live 57 miles away from the closest gym. So I tend to run in the open fields... I mean, the path between cornfields and wheat fields. It's amazing. But I'm looking forward to buying an elliptical and treadmill machine within the next few months.
  • Busyboymomx3
    Busyboymomx3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wish I could...I just get bored. I'd much rather walk trails. Problem with that is I find myself slowing down to enjoy the sights and sounds.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I walk on it because it's kind of old and cheap, so running isn't exactly safe. But I'm say intervals of running and walking would be best, unless you can run the whole time, ha ha.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • Less0Beth
    Less0Beth Posts: 16
    Options
    brisk walking with a slight incline. Last 15 minutes or so, do a good jog.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only walk on a treadmill when I am doing intervals and cooling off between runs. Other than that, I run. If I'm going to walk, it's around the block with our dog.

I agree with those that say that you should use an incline if you are going to walk for an extended period.

For the comment above to not use a treadmill and go outside.......that depends on where you live. I run in the mornings at 6 am a few days a week but by mid afternoon, it is 100° here in Kansas and I don't have any desire to end up being a statistic just because I'm trying to be natural. Also, running on pavement and other surfaces isn't always good for a lot of people and treadmills are better for those folks. Finally, it is cold (and dark) pretty much all the time when I'm not at work in the wintertime. Some guy got hit (and killed) while running in the dark a couple miles from my house. I don't care to join that particular statistical group either.

So, while running outside is definitely a good change of pace, it doesn't always work for all people all the time.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I walk with incline - 3.8-4.0 mph 3-5% incline. Lost 15 pounds in the past few months and my legs and butt are looking pretty good!

hi did you lose weight in other places to ?? & i look forward to the pert bum !! :blushing:

Oh yes - lost stomach fat, back fat, all kinds of fat :-)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do both actually. After my workouts i do High Intensity Interval training (HIIT) for about 15 minutes. First i'll walk for a minute (3mph) and then run for 30 seconds (at 7-8 mph),then repeat until my 15 minutes are up. That kind of cardio really helps melt fat, and boosts your metabolism.

I agree! i mix it up with running, walking and different inclines.

^^^^^^^This every day!!!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking on an incline on the treadmill is a fantastic workout.

^ do this everyday for an hr & on a full incline...helped me alot with losing!

But please don't hold onto the front bars and lean back while you do this. You'll look ridiculous and that is not how you really walk up hill.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I walk and jog. I am always afraid I am going to step wrong and go flying backwards off the treadmill. But maybe that's just me :-)
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do 2 mins walk then 2 mins run. I'm trying t decrease the walking time and increase the running. Eventually i want to be able to just run but i'm not fit enough yet.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight by walking for an hour 5X a week at a speed of 3.3mph and incline jacked up to 12% - it was a great workout I switched to running about two months ago for the simple fact that I wanted to be a runner again.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk at 3.5 mph ...... sometimes up it to 4.0 ....... my knees can't do much more than that :smile: