zucchini recipies please

Options
knama5
knama5 Posts: 27
I am looking for low cal. zucchini and summer squash recipies, i have been roasting veggies but would like some new ideas:tongue:

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Most tech support people that I have known, while good at tech support, know nothing about cooking...

Most search engines, e.g. http://www.google.com, can find "zuchinni recipies" instantaneously. You may want to try google...

Just a thought...
  • iloveflipflops1
    iloveflipflops1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I slice my squash with onions and add a little salt & pepper, 1/2 cup water and saute it on the stove for about 30-45 min till tender. I constantly watch it so it doesn't burn and add more water if needed.

I slice my zucchini with onions, salt, pepper and a can of tomatoes and saute it on the stove too till tender.
  • Clarisse_
    Clarisse_ Posts: 1
    Options
    Ribboned Squash & Zucchini:

1 sweet vidalia onion
    1 med zucchini (ribboned with potato peeler)
    1 med yellow squash (ribboned with potato peeler)
    1 TBSP olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

1) Sautee the onion with the olive oil
    2) add the zucchini, squash, salt & pepper
    3) Cook till tender (~3-5 min)

I love this recipe because it's very quick and easy to make, pretty (!!), and so easy to change up: sprinkle with some parmesean cheese, add some fresh herbs while cooking (I love rosemary, thyme & oregano), etc.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Topic moved to Recipes.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Slice lengthwise and thow them on the grill. Baste with fat free Italian dressing. My family loves this, and it works with all the squashes.
  • knama5
    knama5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump, thanks:smile:
  • denni514
    denni514 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bethanney Frankel's Classic Zucchini Souffle

Prep time: 20 minutes |Cook time: 20 minutes |Total time: 40 minutes |Servings: 6

4 cup(s) of shredded zucchini
    1 tbsp. of melted butter
    4 eggs
    1 tsp. of fresh thyme, chopped
    1/8 tsp. of ground black pepper
    1 1/4 tsp. of salt
    1 pinch of red pepper flakes
    1 cup(s) of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 tbsp. of grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup(s) of all-purpose biscuit baking mix
    Steps
    1.Toss the zucchini and salt together and place into a colander set in the sink. Allow to drain for 1 hour, then squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini and set aside.
    2.Preheat oven to 350° F. Brush a 6 cup muffin tin or 6 individual ramekins with butter.
    3.Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl with the thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the zucchini, Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan, and baking mix until combined. Pour into the prepared muffin tin or ramekins.
    4.Bake, uncovered, until set and golden brown on top about 20 minutes. The soufflé is done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

I use Pam instead of butter and the calories work out t 140 per serving
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I slice (and sometimes shred) them and layer them in a pan with tomato sauce and some low fat cheese. Then I bake until it's all cooked. :)
  • Mandy_PSU
    Mandy_PSU Posts: 8
    Options
    Just tried this recipe last night. The zucchini is a pasta substitute. It was actually really good and easy. You just need flavorful sauce.
    http://fatsecret.com/recipes/zucchini-noodles/Default.aspx
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Tots

Ingredients:

Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Onions - Raw, 1/4 cup, chopped
    Parmesean Cheese Grated - 1/4 cup
    Panko Bread Crumbs- 1/4 cup
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 1 large

I put the onion and zucchini in the food processor so it's finely chopped. Mix everything together. Spoon by the teaspoonful into mini muffin tin (GREASED) Pat down with back of spoon. 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until you notice them getting a beautiful brown crust on the edges. Makes 12 tots per tin.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Turkish Zucchini Pate from turkishcookbook.com

1 medium size zucchini, washed
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    2-3 green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh dill weed, chopped
    1 tbsp flour
    2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 2 eggs
    1 tsp baking powder
    Black pepper

First grate zucchini and then squeeze with your hands to get the water out. Then add all the ingredients above, with the egg going in last (as it makes the mixture watery quickly). Mix with a wooden spoon.

Pour some sunflower oil in a large skillet, about 1 cm deep. When the oil warms up, take a lump of the mixture (a couple large spoons' worth) and put in the skillet. Fry each side approximately 3 minutes at medium-high heat. When done, put the pieces on a plate with a paper towel to soak up extra oil.

Serve with a bit of yogurt on top of each piece - yogurt with garlic especially goes well. Mucver can also be a great sandwich for lunch :) I highly recommend it
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Seriously awesome- I make my own homemade sauce for these.

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/pizzucchini/
  • catlips
    catlips Posts: 5
    Options
    Slice lengthwise and thow them on the grill. Baste with fat free Italian dressing. My family loves this, and it works with all the squashes.

That's how we've been doing it, but sprinkle with a little montreal steak seasoning (or something else you like). I prefer it sliced thin. My husband likes them a little thicker. It's delicious.:smile:
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    try them in foil packets on the grill (charcoal preferably). slice thinly add seasoning grill till cooked through. see webers website for grilling hints.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    If you're looking for a dessert recipe, this Chocolate Zucchini Cake is one of my favorites - so yummy!

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/devin-alexander/recipes/zucchini.html
  • tracysharpmack
    tracysharpmack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peel and slice zuchinni and place in a baking/cake type pan sprayed w nonstick spray (single layer) take one block pkg of fat free/low cal cream cheese softened and smear it evenly over zuchinni. Take low fat/low Cal parm. Cheese (deli style or in a canister) and sprinkle on top. Then sprinkle any type of your favorite seasoning on top. Bake at 350 covered w foil until bubbly. Take foil off and bake another 5-10 min till a little golden. Can make it two layers if you like.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
  • kc_froglady
    Options
    This past weekend I decided to play around with the left over finds from the farmers market and things I had in the fridge and came up with a winner.

Zucchini - diced
    tomato - diced
    black beans
    onion - finely chopped
    olives - sliced

Add a bit of Italian dressing and let marinate overnight in the fridge. It made a lovely salsa style dish that was delicious and everyone ate it up.

No specific amounts of anything and feel free to add or subtract ingredients to your liking.