Insanity vs 30 Day Shred

Options
13»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    One thing I have to add is that you're going to find a lot of Jillian fans talk about 30DS and RI30 like they're the end-all-be-all of workouts. My favorite are the ones who refer to 30DS as "The Shred" because it makes it sound SO much harder than it really is. You can tell who the people who never have set foot in a gym and only do their workouts at home are...
    Wow! I'm not sure where all this JM hate is stemming from....

Anyway, I did 2 rounds of P90x and I found JM videos (not just 30DS) to be far better in terms of time spent and results (30DS is only 20 minutes and can easily be completed before work). Insanity, like P90x is also a Beachbody product but of course it is a much higher intensity cardio workout than P90x or "the shred". I can't speak to Insanity because I haven't done it yet but I have read good things about it. Insanity is something I will likely add to my collection eventually. So I can only speak to JM videos. It all depends on what you want. Despite what the poster above (who I quoted) said in a previous post, it is not just for "women who want to look good in a bikini" how absolutely condescending and mean spirited. The shred is an excellent workout. It is a 20 minute workout so of course it is not the be all end all if you are a professional weightlifter or marathon runner! It is an effective way to start working out for those who haven't worked out in a while or as a good 30 day workout to roll in at any time for the more advanced. It's a good overall body workout and most importantly it is easy to fit into a busy schedule. You can always do the 30DS and also go on a 10 mile run if you feel so inclined. If you fear the shred is going to be too easy but you want to stick with JM I recommend NMTZ and BFBM these 2 videos will kick your butt regardless of fitness level.

I think Insanity is likely a killer workout too so if you feel motivated then go for it. So Insanity is excellent but 30DS is also excellent each for what they are. 30DS is 20 minutes of circuit training and Insanity is a cardio workout that is twice as long----obviously if you workout at a high intensity for double the time you will have a better calorie burn. These two are not the same thing but I don't see the need to criticize 30DS shred because you like what Insanity has to offer (or to insult women for that matter, yeah I'm talking to you).

I wasn't trying to insult women. However one thing you can not deny is that women who undertake workout regimens USUALLY do it for totally different reasons than men do. It's not their fault, it's just that the media has overemphasized the importance of looks in the minds of women. It's this same reason why their are so many more females with EDs than males.

Anyway my reason for "hating" on Jillian's videos and training practices are the fact that the style of exercise she pushes on people doesn't yield functional gains that are comparable to the aesthetic gains. I believe that any workout program you go through should not only shape your body, but it should also make you stronger, faster, more agile, just plain better. And I think that any workout program that ignores the aspects of training that show you functional gains along with your weight loss and *ahem* toning is definitely a waste of time for this reason.

I won't lie. I am judgmental and I have very, and I do mean VERY little respect for the type of person whose only motivation in fitness revolves around wanting to look a certain way rather than improve overall health or functionality. And the fact that Jillian's videos, and the type of workouts she pushes, very clearly market themselves specifically toward this crowd, makes her an easy target for people who look down on what I refer to as "vanity training."

Let's not forget the whole Shred it with Weights DVD thing she got in deep trouble for. And the fact that a fitness trainer is selling fat burning pills.

My experience with "The shred:" I began as obese at 335 lbs. I lost about 60 lbs of that through diet alone before I began doing any form of regular exercise. I tried a few different video programs but ultimately I decided to research the science behind fitness and start putting together my own programs. At about 245 lbs (still very much overweight but a lot fitter than I used to be) I decided to see what the big deal was with 30DS. I got about two weeks into it trying to use various levels of weight but got no real burn out of it. I lost a few inches but the fact that I saw no gains pertaining to real performance in those two weeks, no athletic gains, no increases in lifting strength or stamina or . . anything, really, made the inches lost seem totally unimportant. It's no secret as to why. Most of the resistance exercises she has you doing are isolation exercises, and compound exercises must be done with very very heavy work loads in order to see the benefit that comes from doing compound exercises.

What business is of yours what motivates other people? Why bother judging that? Other than make you feel superior?

I do Jillian Michael's videos because they work for me -- somebody who is pretty close (+8 pounds) to a healthy weight that just wants to be firm up. Just because I don't want to be a world class athlete doesn't mean I'm not interested in my health. I get they don't work for you and your personal goals -- so why not just explain why they don't work for you rather than bash other people in the process?

As I said above, vanity. It represents everything that's wrong with fitness today. The people who do it for vanity are more likely to adopt self destructive behaviors, more likely to quit, less likely to research, and they're the people fueling companies like Beachbody's MLM giant who thrive on keeping the idea alive that you can be fit without acquiring the knowledge that backs it. There's a science behind all of this stuff that everyone--EVERYONE--who so much as touches a weight set should learn a bit about before they get into it. You'll all be that much better for it. And the people not willing to do that should not be catered to. Knowledge is power.
  • KatherineSara
    Options
    hi i am new to the whole thing here...i have bee reading about this 30DS dworkout..what is this and is it sold in stores??? thanks sara
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As I said above, vanity. It represents everything that's wrong with fitness today. The people who do it for vanity are more likely to adopt self destructive behaviors, more likely to quit, less likely to research, and they're the people fueling companies like Beachbody's MLM giant who thrive on keeping the idea alive that you can be fit without acquiring the knowledge that backs it. There's a science behind all of this stuff that everyone--EVERYONE--who so much as touches a weight set should learn a bit about before they get into it. You'll all be that much better for it. And the people not willing to do that should not be catered to. Knowledge is power.

There really isn't anything wrong with vanity. If that's what gets someone to drop 100 pounds and gets their *kitten* off their couch to do a JM video, then that's a good thing, in the general scheme of things. Most people, IME, cannot be bothered to learn the science behind fitness, and that's okay, as long as they're working to get themselves healthier, even if it is by reading advice from women's magazines. The way I see it, whatever someone does, within reason, to get healthier and fitter ought to be encouraged. Even if they're doing JM videos, and eating like a caveman.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    hi i am new to the whole thing here...i have bee reading about this 30DS dworkout..what is this and is it sold in stores??? thanks sara

It is sold in stores. It is a workout DVD that guides you through 3 different 20 minute long workouts (excluding warmup and cooldown) using very light weights and bodyweight exercises. It follows a circuit training style that makes you go through a series of exercises with no break. It is a beginner oriented program.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    One thing I have to add is that you're going to find a lot of Jillian fans talk about 30DS and RI30 like they're the end-all-be-all of workouts. My favorite are the ones who refer to 30DS as "The Shred" because it makes it sound SO much harder than it really is. You can tell who the people who never have set foot in a gym and only do their workouts at home are...

Anyway, I did 2 rounds of P90x and I found JM videos (not just 30DS) to be far better in terms of time spent and results (30DS is only 20 minutes and can easily be completed before work). Insanity, like P90x is also a Beachbody product but of course it is a much higher intensity cardio workout than P90x or "the shred". I can't speak to Insanity because I haven't done it yet but I have read good things about it. Insanity is something I will likely add to my collection eventually. So I can only speak to JM videos. It all depends on what you want. Despite what the poster above (who I quoted) said in a previous post, it is not just for "women who want to look good in a bikini" how absolutely condescending and mean spirited. The shred is an excellent workout. It is a 20 minute workout so of course it is not the be all end all if you are a professional weightlifter or marathon runner! It is an effective way to start working out for those who haven't worked out in a while or as a good 30 day workout to roll in at any time for the more advanced. It's a good overall body workout and most importantly it is easy to fit into a busy schedule. You can always do the 30DS and also go on a 10 mile run if you feel so inclined. If you fear the shred is going to be too easy but you want to stick with JM I recommend NMTZ and BFBM these 2 videos will kick your butt regardless of fitness level.

I think Insanity is likely a killer workout too so if you feel motivated then go for it. So Insanity is excellent but 30DS is also excellent each for what they are. 30DS is 20 minutes of circuit training and Insanity is a cardio workout that is twice as long----obviously if you workout at a high intensity for double the time you will have a better calorie burn. These two are not the same thing but I don't see the need to criticize 30DS shred because you like what Insanity has to offer (or to insult women for that matter, yeah I'm talking to you).

I wasn't trying to insult women. However one thing you can not deny is that women who undertake workout regimens USUALLY do it for totally different reasons than men do. It's not their fault, it's just that the media has overemphasized the importance of looks in the minds of women. It's this same reason why their are so many more females with EDs than males.

Anyway my reason for "hating" on Jillian's videos and training practices are the fact that the style of exercise she pushes on people doesn't yield functional gains that are comparable to the aesthetic gains. I believe that any workout program you go through should not only shape your body, but it should also make you stronger, faster, more agile, just plain better. And I think that any workout program that ignores the aspects of training that show you functional gains along with your weight loss and *ahem* toning is definitely a waste of time for this reason.

I won't lie. I am judgmental and I have very, and I do mean VERY little respect for the type of person whose only motivation in fitness revolves around wanting to look a certain way rather than improve overall health or functionality. And the fact that Jillian's videos, and the type of workouts she pushes, very clearly market themselves specifically toward this crowd, makes her an easy target for people who look down on what I refer to as "vanity training."

Let's not forget the whole Shred it with Weights DVD thing she got in deep trouble for. And the fact that a fitness trainer is selling fat burning pills.

My experience with "The shred:" I began as obese at 335 lbs. I lost about 60 lbs of that through diet alone before I began doing any form of regular exercise. I tried a few different video programs but ultimately I decided to research the science behind fitness and start putting together my own programs. At about 245 lbs (still very much overweight but a lot fitter than I used to be) I decided to see what the big deal was with 30DS. I got about two weeks into it trying to use various levels of weight but got no real burn out of it. I lost a few inches but the fact that I saw no gains pertaining to real performance in those two weeks, no athletic gains, no increases in lifting strength or stamina or . . anything, really, made the inches lost seem totally unimportant. It's no secret as to why. Most of the resistance exercises she has you doing are isolation exercises, and compound exercises must be done with very very heavy work loads in order to see the benefit that comes from doing compound exercises.

What business is of yours what motivates other people? Why bother judging that? Other than make you feel superior?

I do Jillian Michael's videos because they work for me -- somebody who is pretty close (+8 pounds) to a healthy weight that just wants to be firm up. Just because I don't want to be a world class athlete doesn't mean I'm not interested in my health. I get they don't work for you and your personal goals -- so why not just explain why they don't work for you rather than bash other people in the process?

Um, can I please see some science behind the statement "The people who do it for vanity are more likely to adopt self destructive behaviors...". People who adopt self-destructive habits generally have a form of body dysmorphia -- they aren't just so stupid with vanity they don't know what is good for them.

You're self-righteousness is killing any point you have. Yes, people should educate themselves - but their conclusions might be entirely different than yours and that is ok. Why? Because no science is exact, people are different -- and you kind of just have to see what works best for YOU. That includes education -- but a myriad of other factors -- like time, injuries, personal tastes.

Why do you care if I do a Jillian Michael's routine if It works for me? It fits in my schedule, my body can handle the impact and my doctor feels that her routines are safe for me to do. I don't think I am undereducated for going with that and ignoring the angry dude with a chip on his shoulder regarding how other people should work out. See what I am getting at? The OP asked for personal experiences -- not for rants about what others supposes people who do other routines are like.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Um, can I please see some science behind the statement "The people who do it for vanity are more likely to adopt self destructive behaviors...". People who adopt self-destructive habits generally have a form of body dysmorphia -- they aren't just so stupid with vanity they don't know what is good for them.

You're self-righteousness is killing any point you have. Yes, people should educate themselves - but their conclusions might be entirely different than yours and that is ok. Why? Because no science is exact, people are different -- and you kind of just have to see what works best for YOU. That includes education -- but a myriad of other factors -- like time, injuries, personal tastes.

Why do you care if I do a Jillian Michael's routine if It works for me? It fits in my schedule, my body can handle the impact and my doctor feels that her routines are safe for me to do. I don't think I am undereducated for going with that and ignoring the angry dude with a chip on his shoulder regarding how other people should work out. See what I am getting at? The OP asked for personal experiences -- not for rants about what others supposes people who do other routines are like.

Alright then, personal experience summed up right here:

I tried both. They can't be compared because you're talking about two programs made for two different fitness levels. If you're capable of completing an Insanity workout and not being rushed to the hospital afterwards, more than likely 30DS, or even its more advanced big sister, RI30, won't be enough to challenge you. The reason for this is because most modern video workout programs are made for advanced users with some modifications in mind for beginners. Jillian workouts are done the opposite. The workouts themselves are structured around beginner level exercises, with ways to modify them to make them harder. You can only really do so much though to add to the difficulty and once you are capable of doing more, you'll more than likely never turn back. Understand though that neither of these two programs are capable of giving you the same quality of workout you could get if you spent 45 minutes of your time 3 days a week in the free weight section of your local gym, while doing different varieties of cardio workouts at home on your off days.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't expecting that kind of response, apologies if I've offended certain people, however thanks for all your advice. I only have 10lbs left to lose, but over the last 20 years (I'm now 43, though I've been told I look nearer 33, which is a bummer cos I feel it too - well sometimes), anyway my weight has been up and down, the most being 24lbs when I was pregnant. It may not sound like much but as I'm only 5' 1" it shows quite easily - being a pear shape doesn't help either!

Due to the ups and downs of weight loss and cos not all the time I was exercising, I now have areas that are very untoned, I have bingo wings (biceps are ok, but triceps - don't go there!), a muffin top and very untoned thighs! I don't drive so have to walk everywhere or catch a bus, I do a 30min brisk walk home from work 3 days a week, I used to go running a few years ago but had an epileptic attack while I was out and haven't been since.

Sorry to say that it is out of vanity that I was asking people's advice. As I'm so untoned (and due to my age - skin getting looser as get older :o( ) I want obviously to tone up - as well as lose the last 10lbs, though I'm realistic in that I'd prefer inch loss to weight loss. Due to all the walking my calves are quite big, and however much I lose I will never be able to wear knee length boots.

I have the 30DS dvd and started it again last week, though had to take the last few days off as I've been ill. I guess I'm just impatient and wanted to see which would provide the best results in the shortest length of time and after hearing all the positive comments about Insanity, I was just curious.