If low carb works, why are people still fat?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Eating anything that nets you ABOVE TDEE will make you gain weight.
    If its protein and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.
    If its fats and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.
    If its carbs and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.

Notice how I didnt say "Get fat"?
    Thats where your workouts come in play.

For general weight/fat loss just eat smart.
    It's moderation!

This couldn't possibly be true! It just...... Well......, it just makes too much sense!!
    There has to be a double secret formula that only a select few know and are trying to enlighten the rest of us. If only were weren't so darn thinck headed!! LOL
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Deadly serious - can you dispute anything I have said?

Yes...Just about everything. Not in the sense of actual 'weight' lost, that's the easiest part. I would dispute the practicality and functionality of your diet cycle...Especially at your age, I just don't think that's very wise, respectfully.

I'm not saying it's ideal - and no, shouldn't be a 'cycle'

But throughout a lifetime there will be times such as after an illness or injury where you need to lose a little weight. For those times a diet can work - it has for me

I don't plan to put back the weight and start the 'cycle' again
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

As with any weight loss method, if it is merely a "diet" and not a lifestyle change a person will always fail.

That goes with low fat, low carb, calorie counting, etc...........

That's simply not true - my diet worked, and it has done previously

There are times in my life when I find myself 15-20lbs overweight; this might be because of injury, non-football season, or just circumstances where I can't exercise/eat as per normal

I then go on a strict, non-sustainable, horrible, hard work, diet, eating food that I really don't like and doing additional gym work that is too hard and also non-sustainable. Certainly not a lifestyle change!

Low and behold my diet works! 3 months later and I am back to my preferred weight. I am no longer on a diet and did not make a lifestyle change.

I will always fail? I think not. My diet worked.

so after being usually active (your normal life with sports) you gained a few pounds from being sedentary, then managed to lose them and keep it off, great!
    but you say you gain it again.. sorry but that isn't keeping it off!

your diet worked short term but not long term.

No long term. In 2003 I went up to 168 lbs when I broke my ankle. I went on a diet and lost 20lbs

In 2006 I went back up to 165 lbs after I got married (No idea why, just lazy and content I guess!) I went on a diet and lost 18lbs

In 2011 I went back up to 165 after I stopped football and worked away a lot. I dieted and lost 20lbs

I plan to stay at the same weight and most probably will, There might be a time in 3, 4 or 5 years when circumstances mean that I might put on a few lbs. A diet will take them off again though

Minor fluctuations throughout life does not make a cycle! And most people have times where they need to shed a few pounds - a diet will work for those times
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Or what if refined carbs really do make you fat and if you stop eating them your body can do its job and maintain your weight effortlessly like every other animal on the planet who eats their natural diet? It's as obvious as eat less and move more except maybe this idea will actually work.

And here's another thing to think about if obesity, diabetes, heart disease and a whole host of other modern diseases are all linked to together and a no refined carb diet has been known to cure and reverse some of these diseases...no ones even a little curious about whether or not refined carbs are causing the diseases in the first place?

It's miserable being fat and I never want to be this way again. So I'm going to stick to avoiding "healthy whole grains" and eating "artery clogging saturated fat" and enjoy having a normal appetite without the constant need to eat every couple of hours, improved health and greater weight loss than I was getting before I cut the whole grains out of my diet. And if anyone else is planning their snacks for the day like a four star general trying to keep an insatiable appetite in check and eating all day long but still trying to be under your calorie goal for the day you might want to look into a low carb, high fat diet. Here's a good one:

LCHF for beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Bottom line? Everyone is going to do what works or makes sense to them. I sincerely hope everyone is successful with their weight loss no matter how you get there.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    if low carb works, why are people still fat? - We could also ask,

if smoking is bad for you, why do people do it?

if cars pollute, why use them?

if you're tired in the morning, why not go to bed earlier?

if drinking gives you a hang over, why drink?

and oh, so many more....

(edit) forgot to answer....because people have free will, but not necessarily either the desire, the need or the willpower to do what is best for them.
  • rhinowithonehorn
    Options
    This article is from March but I just read it this morning and thought it was a particularly thoughtful response to a real and valid question.

If low carb eating is so effective, why are people still overweight?
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/if-low-carb-eating-is-so-effective-why-are-people-still-overweight

Fair Warning: Dr. Peter Attia supports the Alternative Hypothesis* and is associated with Gary Taubes the science writer.

*Alternative Hypothesis – Obesity is a growth disorder, just like any other growth disorder, and fat accumulation is determined not by the balance of calories consumed and expended but by the effect of specific nutrients on the hormonal regulation of fat metabolism.

because people like carbohydrates and dont want to follow a low carb diet. The ones that do lose weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Eating anything that nets you ABOVE TDEE will make you gain weight.
    If its protein and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.
    If its fats and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.
    If its carbs and you eat above TDEE youll gain weight.

Notice how I didnt say "Get fat"?
    Thats where your workouts come in play.

For general weight/fat loss just eat smart.
    It's moderation!

This couldn't possibly be true! It just...... Well......, it just makes too much sense!!
    There has to be a double secret formula that only a select few know and are trying to enlighten the rest of us. If only were weren't so darn thinck headed!! LOL

LOL tis true!!!!!

Now i'm going to go eat a boatload of rice and chicken.
    Some chocolate cookies and key lime pie.
    Not to mention the breakfast that I skipped because of my starvation diet (nudge nudge wink wink) intermittent fasting method of doing things.

I figure 168carbs 23Fat and about 100protein for my first meal.
    This helps me look good nekked!
    BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Or what if refined carbs really do make you fat and if you stop eating them your body can do its job and maintain your weight effortlessly like every other animal on the planet who eats their natural diet? It's as obvious as eat less and move more except maybe this idea will actually work.

And here's another thing to think about if obesity, diabetes, heart disease and a whole host of other modern diseases are all linked to together and a no refined carb diet has been known to cure and reverse some of these diseases...no ones even a little curious about whether or not refined carbs are causing the diseases in the first place?

It's miserable being fat and I never want to be this way again. So I'm going to stick to avoiding "healthy whole grains" and eating "artery clogging saturated fat" and enjoy having a normal appetite without the constant need to eat every couple of hours, improved health and greater weight loss than I was getting before I cut the whole grains out of my diet. And if anyone else is planning their snacks for the day like a four star general trying to keep an insatiable appetite in check and eating all day long but still trying to be under your calorie goal for the day you might want to look into a low carb, high fat diet. Here's a good one:

LCHF for beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Bottom line? Everyone is going to do what works or makes sense to them. I sincerely hope everyone is successful with their weight loss no matter how you get there.

Refined grains generally refers to overly processed grains where the bran and most of the fiber has been stripped out, not to whole grains. Refined grains and whole grains are digested very differently by our bodies.

A low refined grain diet is often a good idea. But there is plenty of evidence that a diet rich in whole grains can help with weight loss and improve health (unless, of course, you have an intollerance or allergy, which is true of any food).
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Not to mention the breakfast that I skipped because of my starvation diet (nudge nudge wink wink) intermittent fasting method of doing things.
    That's how I controlled my weight for a lot of years. I never ate breakfast because as soon as I ate I'd be hungry all day long so the longer I put off eating the less damage I could do calorie wise. And since the insulin spikes from eating is what's fueling appetite and causing all the damage in your body limiting that damage to once a day seems healthier to me than eating snacks and meals all day. I'm glad you found what works for you.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Refined grains generally refers to overly processed grains where the bran and most of the fiber has been stripped out, not to whole grains. Refined grains and whole grains are digested very differently by our bodies.

A low refined grain diet is often a good idea. But there is plenty of evidence that a diet rich in whole grains can help with weight loss and improve health (unless, of course, you have an intollerance or allergy, which is true of any food).
    That's what I believed too! And for almost six months I was following the lean meat, low fat dairy, whole grain, plenty of fruits and vegetables diet and I felt tons better than before and was very happy with my weight loss. It's weeks 28 of my diet and week 4 since I've eliminated the grains and this week I lost 3.8 pounds. I haven't seen weight loss like that since the first month of my diet. I have a normal appetite now without the whole grains and I feel even better.

I honestly thought low carb diets were a fad that would kill you all of these years and come to find out all of the diet recommendations I've been trying to follow are based on the flimsiest excuse for science--it really makes me angry.

ETA:
    And do you know that some of those "healthy whole wheat" products have a higher glycemic index than table sugar? It's insane we're told to eat that crap.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

That's what I believed too! And for almost six months I was following the lean meat, low fat dairy, whole grain, plenty of fruits and vegetables diet and I felt tons better than before and was very happy with my weight loss. It's weeks 28 of my diet and week 4 since I've eliminated the grains and this week I lost 3.8 pounds. I haven't seen weight loss like that since the first month of my diet. I have a normal appetite now without the whole grains and I feel even better.

I honestly thought low carb diets were a fad that would kill you all of these years and come to find out all of the diet recommendations I've been trying to follow are based on the flimsiest excuse for science--it really makes me angry.

ETA:
    And do you know that some of those "healthy whole wheat" products have a higher glycemic index than table sugar? It's insane we're told to eat that crap.

please do tell about the Whole wheat products.... im interested in knowing
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Carbs do behave differently, have a different glycemic effect in our bodies. this paper that was recently released examined closely three popular diets in obese individuals who had lost significant weight. i'll leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/study-challenges-the-notion-that-a-calorie-is-just-a-calorie-2012-06-26

From the article:

"Each of the study's 21 adult participants..."

HA HA HA HA HA. I'll draw my own conclusion that any scientist can show that anything with 21 people in a study. It's a pilot study, nothing to be taken as dogma.

However, it is interesting to note that the low carb diet didn't fare so well in OTHER aspects of metabolism:

" The very low-carbohydrate diet produced the greatest improvements in metabolism, but with an important caveat: This diet increased participants' cortisol levels, which can lead to insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease. The very low carbohydrate diet also raised C-reactive protein levels, which may also increase risk of cardiovascular disease."

OUCH.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    please do tell about the Whole wheat products.... im interested in knowing
    Here's a link the glycemic index website, go ahead and type in whole wheat and then type in sugar or anything else you're curious about.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/wholewheatbread.htm
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

ETA:

Lol at the GI index mention. Tell me how relevant the GI index is to non diabetics
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Carbs do behave differently, have a different glycemic effect in our bodies. this paper that was recently released examined closely three popular diets in obese individuals who had lost significant weight. i'll leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/study-challenges-the-notion-that-a-calorie-is-just-a-calorie-2012-06-26

From the article:

"Each of the study's 21 adult participants..."

HA HA HA HA HA. I'll draw my own conclusion that any scientist can show that anything with 21 people in a study. It's a pilot study, nothing to be taken as dogma.

However, it is interesting to note that the low carb diet didn't fare so well in OTHER aspects of metabolism:

" The very low-carbohydrate diet produced the greatest improvements in metabolism, but with an important caveat: This diet increased participants' cortisol levels, which can lead to insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease. The very low carbohydrate diet also raised C-reactive protein levels, which may also increase risk of cardiovascular disease."

OUCH.
    Good science, bad interpretation:
    http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    tl:dr

it's not a diet, its a lifestyle.

stick with it, and you don't get fat!

/shock /awe

you can't go back to eating junk food all day /eyeroll

This, sadly. People gain weight back because they go off diets. Which is why diet should become way of life. Do I like that I'll never ever again be able to stuff my face with pastries if I want to maintain once I reach goal? Nah, I liked those pastries! But I accept it. Low carb diet means low carb for life. The only time I might add more back in is when I ramp up exercise, if I find it helps, and even then, I'll know I'm playing with fire.
  • bcattoes
    Options

ETA:

To what "healthy whole wheat" products do you refer? I haven't really been told to eat any whole wheat products specifically. I get most of my whole grains from brown rice, but I do sometimes eat wheat with no problem.

Foods made with whole grain flour (whether wheat or other) will have a higher GI than less processed grains because they digest faster. Although if you are eating something with fiber or protein on your bread it can change the over GI of the meal.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Lol at the GI index mention. Tell me how relevant the GI index is to non diabetics

There is not enough science to prove it relevant or irrelevant at this point.
    From the Harvard School of Public Health:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/#glycemic-index
    Diets rich in high-glycemic-index foods, which cause quick and strong increases in blood sugar levels, have been linked to an increased risk for diabetes, (5) heart disease, (6, 7) and overweight, (8, 9,10) and there is preliminary work linking high-glycemic diets to age-related macular degeneration, (11) ovulatory infertility, (12) and colorectal cancer. (13) Foods with a low glycemic index have been shown to help control type 2 diabetes and improve weight loss. Other studies, though, have found that the glycemic index has little effect on weight or health. This sort of flip-flop is part of the normal process of science, and it means that the true value of the glycemic index remains to be determined. In the meantime, eating whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables—all foods with a low glycemic index—is indisputably good for many aspects of health.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i have seen people come off low carbs and revert back real fast.... i forgot the reasoning why but i have seen my sister as an example. It almost takes 2 weeks to go right back.

now truth that she could just be eating lots of crap but in the quickest fashion and not having a thyroid problem... there is something definitely there with low carb diets..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is not enough science to prove it relevant or irrelevant at this point.
    From the Harvard School of Public Health:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/#glycemic-index
    Diets rich in high-glycemic-index foods, which cause quick and strong increases in blood sugar levels, have been linked to an increased risk for diabetes, (5) heart disease, (6, 7) and overweight, (8, 9,10) and there is preliminary work linking high-glycemic diets to age-related macular degeneration, (11) ovulatory infertility, (12) and colorectal cancer. (13) Foods with a low glycemic index have been shown to help control type 2 diabetes and improve weight loss. Other studies, though, have found that the glycemic index has little effect on weight or health. This sort of flip-flop is part of the normal process of science, and it means that the true value of the glycemic index remains to be determined. In the meantime, eating whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables—all foods with a low glycemic index—is indisputably good for many aspects of health.

So you agree that saying something is worse than something else based on GI index rating is silly, right?