Am I overreacting?

Options
2»

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    You're definitely not overacting. I'd say you under reacted. If their roommate is really being that hostile, then they can go to the police and have them kicked out that night. It's their fault that they don't like confrontation. When kicking someone out of a house, it's GOING to happen, and if they didn't realize that when they took the roommate in, they shouldn't have gotten the roommate in the first place. On the other hand, you were super nice to let them stay at your place. They should have been more respectful to you. However, sometimes you just need to be like "Hey, clean up after yourselves or you can't stay here." If they continue to not do what you've asked, kick them out! That's what would happen if I was in that situation.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think it's common courtesy when staying at someone's house to pick up after yourself, leave the room how you found, and make yourself useful (doing the dishes, cooking a meal). And maybe a little gift as a thank you. This is standard even with family (minus the gift).

But then maybe common courtesy is much like common sense... not so common after all.

I'd be p*ssed too.

They did cook a couple times, but I kind of felt like it was because they didn't want to eat my cooking. I'm sure that sounds odd or paranoid, but every time I suggested I make something they were really quick to be like, well WE were gonna make (insert dish here) ...... Slow cooker stuff that was really hard for me to count in my day, too! But they managed to DESTROY my kitchen every time! Since they had cooked, I was totally ok with doing the dishes, but the fact that they were totally prepared to just ignore the mess chapped my backside more than a little.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    You're definitely not overacting. I'd say you under reacted. If their roommate is really being that hostile, then they can go to the police and have them kicked out that night. It's their fault that they don't like confrontation. When kicking someone out of a house, it's GOING to happen, and if they didn't realize that when they took the roommate in, they shouldn't have gotten the roommate in the first place. On the other hand, you were super nice to let them stay at your place. They should have been more respectful to you. However, sometimes you just need to be like "Hey, clean up after yourselves or you can't stay here." If they continue to not do what you've asked, kick them out! That's what would happen if I was in that situation.

Forgot to add, I've also had too many awful situations with people to let them do this to me. I've been used, and I don't like it and refuse to let it happen anymore.
  • MizSaz
    Options

I've gotten the whole story from a couple of different sources, including mutual friends of all of theirs, and by all accounts, the roommate is totally in the wrong. I don't really want to get too much into that end of it -that part of the story isn't mine to tell- but they were trying to avoid police action, they didn't want to take it there, but they had started formal eviction proceedings. I had already decided that this 'can we crash at your place?' thing was NEVER happening again, so I just shut my mouth and smiled till they left.....
  • MizSaz
    Options
    I think it's common courtesy when staying at someone's house to pick up after yourself, leave the room how you found, and make yourself useful (doing the dishes, cooking a meal). And maybe a little gift as a thank you. This is standard even with family (minus the gift).

But then maybe common courtesy is much like common sense... not so common after all.

I'd be p*ssed too.

They've had us over for a couple of BBQs, and I didn't even show up to those without a 6 pack of craft beers for them and a desert!!