Do all beverages count towards your water intake?

Options
I drink a lot of iced tea and I was wondering if that counts towards your water intake or no because it's a diuretic? I don't really like water by itself :(

Replies

• Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No one is commenting! Booooo
  • akshayam29
    akshayam29 Posts: 44
    Options
    every fluid that you drink and every water content food that you eat count towards your water intake. i am guessing its diuretic because of the caffeine content in the tea. one of the side effect of high caffeine intake is the frequent urination.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Good question.......sorry no answers for you.

Good Luck!
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't count things like diet soda or almond milk to my water count, but I do count anything that I use water to make (Crystal Light , tea, those sorts of things). Hmm, I also don't count coffee...hadn't considered that even though I make it from water. :-)
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    I count anything that's a liquid toward my water count, but I consider it a liquid count ;-) That includes, for me, tea, water, milk, juice, etc.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I only count water, personally.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    My nutritionist told me not to count anything but pure water as part of my water intake.

So, I drink nothing but water and my one bowl of coffee in the morning. :)
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I count tea because it is mostly water anyway.
  • julesw734
    julesw734 Posts: 100
    Options
    I dont add it to my water intake due to the fact it has some calories. I do add any drinks other than water to my calorie intake though, but I am not sure what is the proper way to add any liquids to your water.. I would ask a nutritionist if they know.. Good luck..
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Any drink under 10 cal/serving I log as water. (the majority of what I drink.) Other more caloric driinks I log as what they are...
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My doctor says it all counts but I still try to get in 8 servings of water (some with Mio) every day on top of the food and other liquids that can be counted.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I only count water. Not coffee, not tea, not wine. Water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Anything liquid and also water content in food count toward your daily water intake, with the exception of maybe alcoholic beverages. Caffeine is a diuretic, but in most caffeinated beverages, the amount of caffeine is not enough to have a diuretic effect that is large enough to cancel out the fluid in the drink. If that makes sense (sorry, my mind is not forming sentences very well after a long day!). So you can even count coffee towards your water intake. Which is good news for me, since I like to drink a lot of it in the mornings!

I wouldn't count alcoholic drinks, because I believe the diuretic effects of alcohol are stronger than those of caffeine, and alcohol is notorious for dehydrating you.

So, good news if you don't like water too much! :bigsmile:
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has no calories, yet it dehydrates you and causes weight retention in the belly area. So personally, I only count pure water.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i count water and unsweetened, non-caffeinated teas. if i drink caffeine i try to drink +2 water.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I get my 8 glasses of water a day, but I also usually have a cup of tea and a mini can of Diet Coke most days.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    There are no calories in iced tea. :)
    I dont add it to my water intake due to the fact it has some calories. I do add any drinks other than water to my calorie intake though, but I am not sure what is the proper way to add any liquids to your water.. I would ask a nutritionist if they know.. Good luck..
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    Lol @ wine. That would be nice. I don't count the others either, I just wondered if tea counted.
    I only count water. Not coffee, not tea, not wine. Water.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    I wouldn't count soda either. Too much sodium
    Diet soda has no calories, yet it dehydrates you and causes weight retention in the belly area. So personally, I only count pure water.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    I'm going to count it. Otherwise, I would have no fluid at all lol. I did drink a 16 ounce bottle of water today, but I added lemon juice. Yay