Do all beverages count towards your water intake?

Options

Replies

• FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Juice, coffee, soda. None of that sounds like WATER to me lol sorry.

Water is like water. From the faucet. From Poland springs. Etc.

Although, I have the same problem and CANNOT drink plain water no matter how hard I try.

So I usually add iced tea, crystal light, mio, or even slim quick to my water & then count it.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i count water only. everything else I log as it is.... tea, coffee etc.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm going to count it. Otherwise, I would have no fluid at all lol. I did drink a 16 ounce bottle of water today, but I added lemon juice. Yay

Any time you have WATER and then add a flavoring that counts as water :) So I think your iced tea counts. Try to stick to NO CALORIE teas and stuff though with your water. And maybe try alternating, thats what I try to do. One 16oz glass of crystal light, then 16 oz glass of just water, and vise versa.
  • meganelisabethallen
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact answer - but I do know of people who put fruit in their water to help with the taste - cucumbers, watermelon, any citrus fruit....

Hope that helps!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Tea has caffine. I have always been told to drink an additional cup of water for every cup of something I drink that has caffine. I always drink water or crystal light. I know it's not the best, but I can't drink water everyday, all day!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I only count water as water... :) that's all I drink so I guess it wouldn't be an issue for me. For best results though, I'd drink 8 cups of water water. I live in AZ so I have to drink water or I'll die of dehydration with all the exercise and heat. haha.
  • LisaGore1
    LisaGore1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I only log water consumption as water all other drinks I log as what they are in my meals.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything you are drinking is 99+ percent water. i would add the caveat that drinks containing caffeine or alcohol will have a diuretic effect, so make sure it's decaf if you want to count it for hydration.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I drive my family bonkers with my opinion on water. My feelings are that as soon as you put something in water, it becomes something else. If everything was water and not tea, etc, it would be called water and not tea or kool-aid or whathaveyou. So my four cups of green tea is logged as green tea, coffee as coffee. Even sparkling water gets logged as such. Only plain water gets the water glass click. :) fwiw, I used to hate plain water until I cut the pop and committed to drinking it.
  • JayneCW
    JayneCW Posts: 8
    Options
    You can always switch to a tea without caffeine, of which there are many. Diuretics do leech water from your body so while the water in the tea might add some it might not balance out right. Don't make yourself feel terrible by forcing yourself to drink plain water though!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i count water only. everything else I log as it is.... tea, coffee etc.

I do the same. Water as water, everything else as what I consumed it as, tea, coffee, iced coffee....and so on.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try with the water, but it's just ugh. I need some caffeine to get through my day too lol
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as part of my water intake, but I have 4 or 5 cups of coffee every day. I do count the skim milk I use with it 1.5 cups, and I also have either a can odfdiet pepsi or a bottle of diet ginger beer most days so I guess I am getting plenty of fluids, I do have at least 5 glasses of water too. :)
  • crash_clu
    crash_clu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I only count one cup of (normal) tea per day in my water intake. While I will have 3 or 4 cups daily, I don’t count them all due to the caffeine, and the milk and 1 sugar that I add.

On the other hand, I will count decaffeinated herbal tea as water as I don’t add anything else to it. I have trouble drinking water just by itself and even more so in winter (as it is here now) so I try to get in a couple of herbal teas in the evening to increase my water intake.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I count water toward the water intake...all other drinks toward my food intake.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It absolutely needs to be water, just water, oh and it has to be cold and 1 icecube if there's scotch in the water.......adding lemon voids the water value, the body knows you added lemon, so don't do that....watermelon and cantaloupe don't count either.....and it has to be clean water, nothing right out of the ground......:devil:
  • winniebago
    winniebago Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The diet I'm following lists tea and coffee as being unrestricted, providing you use milk from your daily allowance (300ml semi-skimmed). I find I drink about 8 cups tea and 1 cup coffee on average in a day.
    I was wondering whether this counts as part of water intake, too. Haven't really been counting water, although I try and swallow about 3 glasses per day and keep a 500ml bottle on my desk in case of thirst.

Haven't time to keep rushing to the loo!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee may be counted towards your daily water intake. Its a myth that they are dehydrating, look it up. Obviously alcohol is dehydrating (as it affects the loop of Henle). Again look it up. Its all out there on the Interweb :)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tea and water are the only liquids that count towards my water intake. I have about 3 cups of tea a day, no sugar. The rest is water which can be like 9 or 10 glasses.

If I ever do have alcohol or diet fizzy drinks, I don't count them as water. They are more of a treat.