To everybody who has actually lost weight, HELP.

Options
I'm fine with making myself meals at home. I always buy ingredients to cook healthy, but my parents constantly go out to eat. I want to go with them, but I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF AT A RESTAURANT!
I see all of the delicious things on the menu and I eat up dropping my diet and cheating every time. How did you sacrifice all of the foods you used to eat? How do you control yourself at restaurants and family dinners?

Replies

• Raezor1207
    Raezor1207 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu for the restaurant and then put what I am going to eat before I go. That way, I don't go over on calories.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu for the restaurant and then put what I am going to eat before I go. That way, I don't go over on calories.

This.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I ordered anything without sauce. Usually something chicken based.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This.

Me too!! I plan ahead of time, I don't even open the menu, then I'm not tempted. I know what I'm going to order and make sure it fits in my calorie count for the day. I eat out alot especially during the summer. Went to Don Pablo's yesterday, took 1/2 my meal home for lunch today.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's hard...but it gets easier.
    - I go to places that are easier for me to be good. I don't do fast food at all.
    - I stick mainly to a protein and a veggie. (One of my go-to's is steak and broccoli - yum!)
    - I look up nutritional information before going whenever possible and plug it into mfp before I go.
    - I tell them to please not bring the bread. (or, if I'm with someone else, I ask them to just bring enough rolls for the others)
    - I make substitutions as needed - egg whites only, no second side (yes, I know you'll charge me, but I don't want it please), please just bring me half an order of x.
    - A lot of people recommend boxing half of it immediately, which is great. I don't, I just order less.
    - I practiced leaving food on the plate. It was SO hard at first, but it got easier. It feels wasteful...and it is...but I can't control the portions they give me...maybe they'll start making reasonable portions someday...but my health is not worth "cleaning my plate".

Good luck. You can do it.
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    Options
    I do the same thing. Enter the food I will eat then I know the calories. IF thing are to high in sodium which I need to watch I go with steak, baked potato and salad. These always fits in my calories.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Order whatever looks good...only eat half and save the rest for a day or two later.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't sacrifice...I eat what I want...and exercise more...maybe eat less at lunch or breakfast etc...
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options

^this - plus just because I get a fat @ss cheeseburger and fries doesn't mean I have to eat the whole thing. I usually ask the server to bring me a carryout box when my meal comes and divide it before I ever start eating if it is something that is crazy high in calories. That way I still get to enjoy all the stuff I like but I don't over do it.

Also, if I know I'm going to be going out and eating/drinking a lot I compensate with my workout that day or the day after.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    If it's a chain, usually I google/search on mfp and PRE-PLAN!

If it's not, and the nutritional info isn't readily available - I figure out what "seems" the lightest, then tell the server 'easy on this that and the other'

And if I'm going to some place that is like crap city, I eat something beforehand lol! I drink some water, have an apple or some nuts (or both) and then try to order the lightest thing I can find!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

this...

and if I decide to have something unhealthy, I make sure to up my calorie burn for the day to offset it.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    It is tough! Sometimes if it is a restaurant I know, I will plan out my meals before I go and plan around it. If not, I am just careful with what I eat for the day. On those days it is unexpected that we are eating out, I TRY, TRY, TRY to find the "healthier" meals on the menu. It helps that my husband helps me keep an eye out for all of that. But yes, it is EXTREMELY difficult.

I LOVE FOOD, plain and simple!! So, it takes a LOT of will power, especially when it is a place that has food I cant usually get other places or make at home!! :(

OH...I have another friend of mine that keeps a picture of herself from when she was thin on her phone for inspiration.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'd pre-plan what I would eat at the restaurant but I would't go more than twice a week to restaurants.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    honestly, if you know you can't control yourself in the situation, then limit how often you do it. However, I do try to look up the nutritional info on my phone before I order so I have some idea of what I am doing. Also, just remember that the food will always be there. You don't have to always go big just because you are there - that restaurant will make the same thing tomorrow, the next day, and so on!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It is a balance act.

I do still indulge on the occasion...but if I am going to indulge then I make up for it by eating lighter meals throughout the day, or doing a bit of extra exercise the next day...

For the most part though I have just kept my goals at the forefront of my thoughts...always. I kind of became obsessed with thinking about calories and the amount of exercise I'd have to do to burn something off. I want to lose weight badly enough and I am not going to let stupid french fries with gravy, or extra cheesey garlic bread sabotage me!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In addition to deciding before I go, I'll also ask for a to-go container and put half of my food in there as soon as it arrives, so I'm eating a more moderate portion. I don't snack on the pre-meal stuff (chips/salsa, bread), order water or unsweetened ice tea. Why don't you find some places that have lots of healthy options and recommend to go there instead. I don't know how often they go out but maybe only go every other time. If you still can't control yourself then maybe its best you don't go, at least until you feel confident you can go in there and make/stick to good decisions.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I haven't lost much, but usually I check the restaurant's website for nutrition facts, decide at home, and then I know what I can eat. Or if I know I'm eating out, I eat very, very light during the day. I don't drop what I want to eat, I just make room for it.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with making myself meals at home. I always buy ingredients to cook healthy, but my parents constantly go out to eat. I want to go with them, but I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF AT A RESTAURANT!
    I see all of the delicious things on the menu and I eat up dropping my diet and cheating every time. How did you sacrifice all of the foods you used to eat? How do you control yourself at restaurants and family dinners?

When dining out I usually stick to lean meats, seafood, salads but not always. I ask for a to-go container when I order my meal. When the meal arrives put half away and eat the other half. You can also share the meal/dessert with someone. Family dinners try to load up on crudites, veggie dishes or bring a dish you know you feel comfortable eating and can share with friends and family. I love good food and don't deny myself but I do eat in moderation.
  • PrincessPoetess
    PrincessPoetess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the biggest lie every told about weight loss is that you have to GIVE UP the things you ejoy to loose weight. That's not the case. You can have what you love in moderation.

As far as dining out, i would suggest you go on line to the menu of the restaurant you will be dining at BEFORE you go. all the menus on line will show you the nutritional information. That should help you to make a better decision. So if you know you're going out Friday, go on line Thursday. If you think you want to "over indulge" at the restaurant, work out harder friday or eat a little lighter so you can enjoy your "treat" so to speak. Remember at the end of the day that whatever decision you make (to indulge or to stay within your calories), you are the one who is going to either reap the rewards or the disappointment. hope this helps.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Check the menu first before heading out if possible.
    Dressings ALWAYS on the side.
    No bread before meal while waiting.
    Drink water with lemon before and during.
    Soups that are broth based and not cream based.
    No Fried food.
    Limit to lean steak, Filet, sirloin or flank.
    Chicken generally a good option.
    Grilled foods versus sauteed or fried.
    Double veggies as sides, side salad no croutons, or rice, sweet potato or baked potato (not loaded).
    No dessert, you can grub a bit from your parents if they order.