To everybody who has actually lost weight, HELP.

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Next time, ask where they're going. Look up the menu online and make a healthy choice. If the place doesn't have a menu on line or a healthy choice, pass on going out. Learn to cook for yourself. I'm sure your parents are paying.. right? Well, you don't "have" to go even though nobody likes passing up a free meal. :sad:
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I never do fast food!!! I skimp on other meals for the day of the outing (no more than once a week) and sometimes I even fast that day. I pick from the menu plain selections (no gravy or sauce...always dressing on the side). Salads are great, you control how much you eat and they take a while to chew, so they last through the meal. Just order as your main coarse so it comes with others meal. Skip the bread/cracker/chip portion. Get your water for the day in while others are getting calories on the appetizers and bread. By the way that is the only beverage I order out except iced tea without sweetener If the service is slow...do a bathroom trip, even if it is just to check your makeup.:wink:
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I immediately cut my meal in half and have it put in a to go box. This way I don't continue to pick at my plate and then even have a nice lunch for the next day. With standard restaurant portions, I've never felt hungry doing this. And, like others, I look up the menu online beforehand and try to pre-plan. AND - it's supposed to be a nice time out, so don't sweat it too much. Meals out are best when we feel happy and relaxed.
  • foryoublue
    foryoublue Posts: 24
    Options
    I will either make a small salad and eat before I go, that curbs some of my appetite or a little extra time on the recumbent bike to burn some extra calories.
  • barleespringers
    Options
    At 33 yrs I had my first heart attack, = it's not worth it (junk /"bad" foods). Either you get the will power to do it, or you keep "lying" to yourself, that you mean to change your life.

To me, it was that simple after YEARS of lying to myself. I'm not being mean, but if you are serious about being healthy then you owe it to yourself to do just that.

I go online to look at the menu and choose what I need then.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Topped out at 350 lbs
    Now 161lbs (this morning)
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    If I don't think I can control myself, I get a to-go box before the food gets to the table and I put half the food in the box before I start eating. It is a choice - and I am more important than the food.

This is a wonderful idea and I am trying to get into the habit of doing this. Even at home. I put less on my plate and eat it slow and by the time I've finished that serving, i feel full so I do not want another serving. And I drink drink drink water before, during, and after I eat. It helps with digestion and gives me that "full" feeling more quickly. Remember, out of sight, out of mind. Try not to leave food easily accessible, then you are tempted to eat it. hahaha. Good luck!
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much, but usually I check the restaurant's website for nutrition facts, decide at home, and then I know what I can eat. Or if I know I'm eating out, I eat very, very light during the day. I don't drop what I want to eat, I just make room for it.

^^ THIS

I love food and flavor too much to sacrifice it. If it is last minute, and look at where my mfp food numbers are including sodium and fat, and try to keep it as close as possible. I use the restuarant's info bc it usually shows the pictures, so it helps me decide. I have a super busy lifestyle, and even tho I am a SAHM, I am rarely at home. Thankfully this method I use has allowed me to be happy with what I eat and lose weight. I have even had weeks where I end up eating fast food nearly everyday (it gets hot here and I worry that if I pack my own food it will spoil in the car-my ice packs never seem to stay cold very long.).

In some cases, this has even allowed me to discover amazing dishes that I didn't know about, or would never have given a second look. And sometimes this means I need to eat the lighter fare choices, and other times I get to eat what I want. :o)

Enjoy.

PS: It has also helped to eat healthier through out the day if I know I won't be home. Ei: more fruits, veggies, granola bars, yogurt (or in some cases go-gurt :wink: ). If it helps to know how much success I have had my doing it this way, I have lost over 22# since March 3. Before this, I only lost about 10# between Oct-Mar.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice. I try to plan before I go, avoid sauces, fill up on water, do some extra exercise, plan to take a doggie bag out (I can get 2-3 meals out of ONE "normal" entree :noway: ) One thing that I do is ALWAYS get the salad dressing on the side and dip the tines of my fork in it before spearing some salad. That way I get the taste of the dressing in every bite, but the salad isn't swimming in dressing. Does it work? I eat out nearly every week day for lunch and I've lost 15 lbs since joining MFP and over 50 since January. It's working for me.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I do this and it helps me a TON!! I've noticed that the things I normally would get without checking the online menu first are like 3 times the calories that I actually end up getting.
    I look at the menu for the restaurant and then put what I am going to eat before I go. That way, I don't go over on calories.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I usually try and go in a group, where I can take part in a bite or 2 of a yummy appetizer, and then order something sensible for dinner. That way, I got in a bit of a cheat food, but had a lower cal dinner.

Or.....I just workout like crazy and then eat whatever the heck I want. Or course, keep in mind sensible portions.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Have you offered to cook meals for your parents, either in your home or theirs? This saves everyone money, you can control what you eat and you still get to enjoy time with your parents. You guys could do theme nights - Meatless Mondays, TexMex Tuesdays, Summer Salad Saturdays, etc. and find great recipes on Pinterest, Real Simple, Food Network, etc.

As for restaurants, look at the menu before you go and find the lower calorie options - many restaurants offer meals that are specifically low-cal. Log that before you even hit the restaurant. If you want to order a full calorie meal, ask for a box to come with your plate and immediately put half in the to-go box so that you have a meal already prepped for the next day (which is great if you bring your lunch to work). Order foods that are healthier (tomato based vs. cream based sauce, grilled chicken instead of breaded/fried chicken, mixed greens vs iceburg lettuce etc) and if you order salads, ask for the dressing on the side.

Good luck!
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice. I try to plan before I go, avoid sauces, fill up on water, do some extra exercise, plan to take a doggie bag out (I can get 2-3 meals out of ONE "normal" entree :noway: ) One thing that I do is ALWAYS get the salad dressing on the side and dip the tines of my fork in it before spearing some salad. That way I get the taste of the dressing in every bite, but the salad isn't swimming in dressing. Does it work? I eat out nearly every week day for lunch and I've lost 15 lbs since joining MFP and over 50 since January. It's working for me.

Way to go! On you numbers since Jan!
  • mexprncs
    mexprncs Posts: 7
    Options
    I started thinking of my calorie counts as an expense. If I consumed too many calories at one meal, then I checked to see what was too expensive for me at the next meal. Thinking of Calorie counting as money counting has actually helped a lot. Kind of a mind trick. Also I allow myself one "cheat day". Kinda of like giving myself an allowance for the day. That cheat day also usually includes an exercise of some sort. And of course exercise at least three times a week. Cardio seems to work well for me; soccer and jogging. It's a slow process but once you get used to it, these habits become easier.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    If I know ahead of time that I have an event where I won't be in total control.
    I'll skim 100-200 calories a day off of of my goal for 2 or 3 days before my splurge. So I'll have an extra 300-600 calories to play with. (I don't try to save all the calories in one day, then I just get starved and eat without thinking or enjoying it. and the whole idea is to ENJOY.)

I don't deprive myself too much, but I do try to be thoughtful about what I choose.
    I do choose something I'll enjoy, but it doesn't have to be the pinacle of decadence.

I do think do I "really" want this right now... or do I only want it because it's available?
    Would I be totally happy with the Shrimp Kabobs on a bed of brown rice and greens, If I didn't see the rack of baby back ribs/cornbread/mashed potatoes on the menu?
    And the bottom line is sometimes I REALLY do want the ribs, and that's okay. I can eat that with out feeling bad or guilty, but I've got to realize that it's all a trade off. It may mean working out more or losing slower and it comes down to where I prefer to indulge... indulge in food and work out more, indulge in more TV/computer time and eat less.

EDIT:
    I'm on maintenance now, but eat 1550 calories instead of 1600 because I hardly notice 50 calories less and that gives me an extra 300 calories to play with on the weekend.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    track the calories ahead of time so u know, if i eat all of this, it's gonna be this many calories, sometimes just seeing the actual number will make u think twice about eating it. also, if i know i am going to be going out, i try to eat light for my other meals, and also add in extra exercise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I make the concious decision that working out and a healthy lifestyle is more important than said item. I DO NOT deprive myself from the things I want to eat. I just eat them in moderation. :)

Remember if this is to be sustainable you shouldn't feel like "oh well i CANT have this until i lose the weight!". Let's be honest, we are all going to have a peice of cake on your birthday, or pizza on a night out.... it happens. It's what you continue to do and stick with that is going to make the difference!
  • wldlndcpt
    wldlndcpt Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm fine with making myself meals at home. I always buy ingredients to cook healthy, but my parents constantly go out to eat. I want to go with them, but I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF AT A RESTAURANT!
    I see all of the delicious things on the menu and I eat up dropping my diet and cheating every time. How did you sacrifice all of the foods you used to eat? How do you control yourself at restaurants and family dinners?

When dining out I usually stick to lean meats, seafood, salads but not always. I ask for a to-go container when I order my meal. When the meal arrives put half away and eat the other half. You can also share the meal/dessert with someone. Family dinners try to load up on crudites, veggie dishes or bring a dish you know you feel comfortable eating and can share with friends and family. I love good food and don't deny myself but I do eat in moderation.

This.
    If I am going out with my husband we will plan to share a meal. Restaurant portions are huge and this keeps both of us from over eating. Like many others have said pre-planning is the best defense. We attend these wonderful winetasting dinners about once a month. I take the menu beforehand and figure out the entire dinner in advance, then make sure that I factor those extra calories into my overall plan.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1. Look at the Menu beforehand. Know what you are putting into your body and plan around it.
    2- Immediately cut the whole thing in half- I even do this with salads.
    3- Ask for all dressing and sauces on the side.
    4. Drink 2 glasses of water before the meal comes out.
    5- Don't have any bread. Ask for them to not bring any over.
    6- Steal an onion ring off your friend or partner's plate- because then you can get a taste without eating 15 of them. This strategy has worked very well for me.
  • shandajenkins70
    shandajenkins70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i look and see if i can find the menu online and try to find whats best high protein low carb for me
  • emilynyman00
    emilynyman00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My mother does the same thing all the time! And I know where your comign from! I ended up alwways ordering the wrong thing, At McDonalds I order a McChicken with a whole wheat bun and grilled patty! Light mayo and always make sure they added the lettuce and tomato