Running with shin splints

Options
I get shin splints in one or both of my legs when I run, I used to be really good at sports and was quite fit but since I've gained weight about 10 years ago I have been getting shin splints. I can do the eliptical machine but when I run on the treadmill or outside I get them, I tried the treadmill today and I was hurting within 2 minutes of running and then when I went to the eliptical I was fine. I really want to run cause I feel more calories are burned in less time on the treadmill than the eliptical but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience or knowledge. Not sure if I am just fine using only the eliptical machine or if there is something I should be doing different on the treadmill to make it go better for me. I have a band I can wear on my leg that I got from the Dr years ago but I just don't want to mess anything up more by pushing it too far when I can burn just as much on the eliptical.

Thoughts? :smile:

Replies

• icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OK...first off I do not work nor do I know anyone who works for this company. I just so happened to have purchased an item and have fallen in love with it and now what all the pieces!

I was drawn to your question because I am in the same boat but with added calf cramping as well which is why I purchased my product. What I purchased it called a tp roller; the grid (I think...it's orange). You use it to basically give yourself a massage, it is wonderful! Actually it hurts but it's the good hurt it releases the pain. The website is tptherapy.com

Anyhow after reading your question a light bulb went off…. so I typed in tptherapy, shin splints to see if I could find anything on the website....and I did! http://tptherapy.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/shin-splints-and-tp-therapy/

I didn't look to see it there is a video in the video section or not. I got excited and wanted to share. I don't have the TP ball they are showing yet (hope to get soon) but you can use a tennis ball as well which I am headed off to try!!

Go check out the website I think it is awesome. And the added benefit is you can use the roller thingy I got to exercise with! Watch the videos. There is one where someone is demonstrating a piece on a pretty buff guy and he seems to be blown away with what it does. I made my husband (who is a weight lifter) try the roller I got and he was amazed also.

Really I can't say enough. (oh I bought mine on Amazon I have no idea if it was cheaper or not I just stumbled upon it looking for ideas to stretch my calves and found it elsewhere. I didn't learn about the website until I got my product)

Best of luck to you! Very interested to hear any other ideas also!

(I am a soccer player who desperately needs a solution also)
  • datikihut21
    datikihut21 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm about to try the tennis ball before my run in a bit. I've been running with shin splints for like 3 weeks or so, and they suck so bad.
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
    dakihihut21 please share if it helped....curious. :-)

**just wondering how long it takes to heal with this technique
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
  • datikihut21
    datikihut21 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The tennis ball worked alright. Seemed like I started feeling my shin splints a little later in my run than usual, but not a very significant difference.
  • kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get them too! rolling your shins with the tennis ball or a foam roller helps. Also icing afterwards + making sure you stretch your calves/hamstrings. I generally try to space out my long runs, run on soft ground (although some people say it actually makes no difference) and use the elliptical for warm ups or interval workouts. Interval workouts are a great way to burn calories + increase your aerobic fitness
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in addition to the above suggestions also make sure you're landing correctly for running. landing on your heels is a a good way to get shin splints. try landing mid sole or better yet on the balls of your feet
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips! I have not heard of the ball method before and will have to try it. You run it over your legs after the workout or before?

Maybe I will try warming up on the eliptical and then moving to the treadmill, along with trying to land in a better spot on my feet. I think I was landing alot on my heels cause I was worried I was landing wrong going the other way so doing that last night probably made it worse faster than normal.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Also, shoes have a big part, I was running in terrible shoes, and as soon as I got good shoes, the shin splints got less and now I don't get them anymore! It took about a week in the new shoes.
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
    I tried the tennis ball on my shins post exercise (because that is when I saw your question) and it really helped them from screaming at me. However, from what I have learned with the roller thing is it is good to do before and after exercise. I have been “trying” to do this with my calves because that was the real reason I purchased the roller and it really seems to be helping; although, I still cramp it just doesn’t seem to be constant unbearable cramping all day along. I really feel that it has helped loosen my muscles. I don’t just use it on my claves because everything is connected and the cause for me could actually be something else being tight as well but really only feeling it in my calves and now shins. I tried the roller thing on my IT band (the muscle that goes up the outside of your leg) WOW! Is all I can say….one leg is REALLY tight.

~ Good luck everyone!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    in addition to the above suggestions also make sure you're landing correctly for running. landing on your heels is a a good way to get shin splints. try landing mid sole or better yet on the balls of your feet

Many many distance runners are heel-strikers.
    Heel Striking is not bad, until it is bad.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Also, shoes have a big part, I was running in terrible shoes, and as soon as I got good shoes, the shin splints got less and now I don't get them anymore! It took about a week in the new shoes.

^This. I was getting shin splints and knee pain when I was wearing off-the-rack New Balance shoes. I got fitted and got the right pair of shoes for me. Best money I ever spent.

Go to a running store (not a mall sporting goods store) and get properly fitted. It will do wonders for you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

thanks. i actually didnt know this. i'm a sprinter, so i land like a ninja on the balls of my feet. that also might be why distances longer than 5 miles start to feel weird to me :laugh:
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had this problem as well, I started running on the local high school's track. It is made of some rubber weird surface that is softer. The shin splints seem to have gone away, but I am also a significant amount lighter than when I started.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    1. Shoes, shoes, shoes. Go get a good shoe fitting at a reputable RUNNER's shoe store (not a general sports store). They'll watch you run and match shoes to your stride.

2. Do you heel strike? If you can change to a midfoot-forefoot strike, you'll be much better off. If you can't, go back to 1.

3. Rest for several days to two weeks before you try running again; if you continue to run on shin splints you can get stress fractures. Walk in the meantime to build up strength in your leg muscles to help support your running.

4. Are you on a beginning training program? If you've been away from running for years, you need to work back up to it, especially if you've gained weight. Your body needs time to adjust to a new routine. Try the Couch-to-5K program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml).

Give yourself time to heal, and take your time, and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options

For the record, distance runners who are heel strikers are usually running in racing flats and have a very different stride compared to most of us.

As a distance runner, I recommend a midfoot-forefoot strike. It's the only thing that keeps me from getting injured.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    BTW--when I shifted from a heel strike to a forefoot strike, my pace improved naturally.
  • jennyc00
    jennyc00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband had very bad shin splints when he started running. He was a novice runner with 30+ pounds to lose. He was fitted with shoes from a specialty running store with no change. He bought vibram five fingers shoes and has not had a problem since. The pain went away quickly. His weight hasn't changed much so he still has the extra lbs added on joints but has no shin splint problems since the shoe change. The shoes look a little goofy but are worth it!! Good luck!
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
    Eleisabelle ~ do you have any recommendations for someone suffering calf cramps? Constant rock hard calves? I have started using the roller thing and am not cramped nearly as much throughout the day as I was before; however the minute I start to jog I am done. I change to a brisk walk and can last for a little while, reduce pace for a while then can pick it up for a few minutes and have to reduce again but can never get the "jog" back. After this my shins started hurting.

Sprinter- soccer player tend to run on toes.....yes I drink plenty of water. Even tried bananas and magnesium! ??? I do feel the roller thing is helping my muscle tension. Maybe I just need to be patient been having the muscle cramping/tightness for months and only been using the roller for 2 weeks or so…..

Suggestions?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Didn't notice working out those muscles yet.
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TibialisAnterior.html

Massage bar (Walmart has one from Gold's Gym) is nice too. Ice for recovery, ball or bar for massage.

To make it stronger.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/LV45ReverseCalfPress.html

You can do this movement on several machines.

Or without machines.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/BWReverseCalfRaise.html

And of course stretching too post run.
    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/TibialisAnterior/Kneeling.html