When do I say something? Do I say something?

Options
I have an overweight son. He is 22 next week, works full time, lives at home. He has always been big, but seems to be gaining like crazy lately. I know he is aware he needs to lose weight - he always will comment about an amusement park ride he had to skip because of the weight limit, etc, but I am SO concerned about his health. He used to be a 3 season sports kid in highschool, and unfortunately could eat whatever he wanted when he was always at football practice, swim team, and track.

The problem is, as it can be with the kids, that the minute I try to "help", they do the opposite. I obviously do not want to drive him toward eating/gaining more. It is such a sensitive subject! I serve healthy meals, and am an avid excerciser, so he is kind of not following my lead (obviously). He also smokes, and I think he drinks too much.

Reading back over this, if this were someone else's post, I'd be like "Kick his *kitten*! Tell him to join a gym before he dies!" but I am concerned he is depressed and just unable to get a plan in motion. I need advice on how to give tactful advice, motivation, etc. He has a gym membership; I told him if he would go at least once a week, I would reimburse him monthly for it. That was 14 months ago, he has gone 3 times in that period.

Thanks all!

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Is he buying lots of junk? I just wonder how he is getting heavy if your doing the healthy cooking? He is an adult so you can't make him do anything. I wonder if you sat and told him you are worried about his health if he would blow you off?
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have an overweight son. He is 22 next week, works full time, lives at home. He has always been big, but seems to be gaining like crazy lately. I know he is aware he needs to lose weight - he always will comment about an amusement park ride he had to skip because of the weight limit, etc, but I am SO concerned about his health. He used to be a 3 season sports kid in highschool, and unfortunately could eat whatever he wanted when he was always at football practice, swim team, and track.

The problem is, as it can be with the kids, that the minute I try to "help", they do the opposite. I obviously do not want to drive him toward eating/gaining more. It is such a sensitive subject! I serve healthy meals, and am an avid excerciser, so he is kind of not following my lead (obviously). He also smokes, and I think he drinks too much.

Reading back over this, if this were someone else's post, I'd be like "Kick his *kitten*! Tell him to join a gym before he dies!" but I am concerned he is depressed and just unable to get a plan in motion. I need advice on how to give tactful advice, motivation, etc. He has a gym membership; I told him if he would go at least once a week, I would reimburse him monthly for it. That was 14 months ago, he has gone 3 times in that period.

Thanks all!

I think his situation is a lot like that of an alcoholic...you cannot make him want to change. He has to want it himself. All I can suggest is maybe find something you two can do together that would require you to be active. Hiking, biking, etc.

Good luck!!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, he goes out and buys crap to eat because I won't buy it. He will buy a huge order of buffalo wings, tell me it is for 2 meals, then eat it in one sitting in front of the tv.

I am supposed to sit down with him tonite and go over finances (he isn't paying his bills on time!) and I was thinking of broaching the subject that way. He is just soooooo stubborn! It's like I can "hear" his responses when I try to think about how to go about it. "I'm worried about your health" = response "I can take care of myself, don't worry about me" as he thinks to himself, She can't run my life.

My husband and I know our son learns EVERYTHING the hard way - he NEVER listens to advice, then after a catastrophe (financial, job, girlfriend, etc.) will say, I guess I should have listened to you. I don't want him to have a health catastrope! He has already had a number of health issues, and his doctor has told him multiple times that these issues would clear up if he would lose weight. Then he gains more.

I don't want him to end up having a heart attack! :-(
  • BeyondApril
    Options

Thanks all!

I think his situation is a lot like that of an alcoholic...you cannot make him want to change. He has to want it himself. All I can suggest is maybe find something you two can do together that would require you to be active. Hiking, biking, etc.

Good luck!!
  • BeyondApril
    Options
    It would be great to hike or bike with him, except he always says no. :-( I guess once you are 22 it is not cool to go for a bike ride with Mom.
  • hhroth2005
    hhroth2005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Think about what might motivate him and maybe offer that - a challenge, a reward, etc. Maybe challenge him to walk/run a 5K, etc.

Do you know any of his friends? Can you talk to any of them?

Are you willing to take a "tough love" approach w/food and money?

Good luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bluntness ahead:

I'm that kid and all I can say is he doesn't want to hear it. My mom would always make comments about my weight and all it would do was piss me off. I know I'm over weight and its on my mind always, I don't need my mother to bring it up in my face too.

He's a grown adult and will only change when he wants to. Your comments only bring resentment towards you.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Bluntness ahead:

I'm that kid and all I can say is he doesn't want to hear it. My mom would always make comments about my weight and all it would do was piss me off. I know I'm over weight and its on my mind always, I don't need my mother to bring it up in my face too.

He's a grown adult and will only change when he wants to. Your comments only bring resentment towards you.

^^^^
    I agree with this man!

He is going to have to get to a place in his own head where he WANTS to do it. Let him ask YOU for help when he gets there. You can't force it. God knows I wouldn't be a fat 36 year old if everybody wanting it FOR me would have fixed the problem.

Good luck to you and your son. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    God knows I wouldn't be a fat 36 year old if everybody wanting it FOR me would have fixed the problem.

This. That would have been so much easier too.
  • BeyondApril
    Options
    Thank you for the blunt comments! I know, he needs to want it. Another family member once replied to a well meaning relative (not me), "I have a mirror. I have a scale. I know how I look. I know what I weigh. I do not need you to remind me."

I think I have my answer, which is I won't say anything. He knows I love him; I tell him all the time. It was his idea to join the gym; he mentioned he didn't think he could afford it, so I offered to reimburse him IF HE WENT. Never mentioned it again, because IF he goes, he WILL ask me to pay up lol!

When he came home from the dr the last time, and said "Yeah, the dr said this problem will resolve when I lose that weight" and I asked "Are you ready to do that?" his response was, "Yeah I need to get on that." Which is what he always says, then just eats more.

So I guess I will say nothing, even though it feels like by saying nothing I am kind of condoning his in-action. Hopefully he will find his own motivation soon.

Thanks for all the responses.
  • monkeynumber100
    monkeynumber100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bluntness ahead:

I completely agree.

I am him...fast forward to age 41. I completely resent my parents(esp my dad) for always making such a big deal about my weight - even though it was in a loving way usually. I was also a 3 sport athlete that ballooned up after I stopped playing sports. To this day, I have a very serious complex about my weight and I attribute it to my dad's pressure to not be heavy.

My best advice is for you to let him know that you are concerned for him but that no matter what you love him. Then tell him you will never bring it up again, unless it is initiated by him. Let him know that your help is available if he ever wants it, but seriously leave it be after that unless he comes to you.

I have two boys of my own now. I know how difficult it can be to see them struggle. Unfortunately, this is part of his process. What he likely needs is unconditional love and no judgement.

My two cents...
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have a daughter who is 18 and has been overweight since she was 7. I try not to say anything but when she is always complaning about it herself it is hard. I try to encourage her to get some exercise and she will do it for a couple of days and then quit. Repeating her mother's past patterns. That is why I am trying so hard to stick with what I am doing no matter if I am losing weight or not, so that she will see that being healthy is the ultimate goal and try not to worry so much about what the scale says. My body is changing and she is starting to see that. So hopefully it will inspire her to do the same.

You said he might be depressed. Why not sit down with him without mentioning the weight and talk about that. Maybe he would be interested in talking to counselor or taking meds for that. Once he gets help for that, it might help him with the weight issue. Until he feels good about himself as a person, he is not going to do anything to help himself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It'll happen one morning when he wakes up and decides he should be more AWESOME (often? wtf uv).

OR

He'll meet a girl who will be a sort of subconscious inspiration.

In the meantime, if he lives at home and plays lots of online games - get your internet cut off.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bluntness ahead:

Couldn't agree with this more! My oldest daughter put on a lot of weight in university and seems very resentful of the fact that I'm losing but doesn't want to make the changes herself.

All I can do is keep working on myself, keep the house well stocked with healthy food and hope she will eventually decide to make the change. I can't keep her from eating fast food and not exercising, she's an adult. I am not willing to jeopardize our relationship by nagging her about it.

I do ask if she wants to go swimming with me (activity she enjoys) and pay for a family pool membership so she can go with her boyfriend whenever she wants. I bought a treadmill for the house which everyone has access to. All I can do is provide the tools to make good decisions and she has to do the rest (I can't do it for her).
  • mksitz
    mksitz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any wise words on how to approach it if you do talk to him about it. BUT I think it probably wouldn't go over well in the middle of you trying to help him figure out his finances. Even though you are doing it to help him, it may come across as you pointing out how he's doing things wrong and just make it worse. Just keep doing what you're doing. Provide healthy meals and support. That way, when he is ready to do something about his health, it will be his idea (guys like to be able to take credit for things, or so I've learned from my husband anyway) and he'll know you'll be there by his side.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You may not like this but you need to kick his butt out of your house. Sitting on his butt at home, spending his money on junk food and booze, not paying his bills in a timely manner. He's 22. He's a grown man. Make him act like it.

He's got to take responsibility for himself, his health, and his future. Nothing else is going to change him. Sadly, there's probably nothing you can say or do otherwise to make him change.

Get him out of your house, on his own two feet, and be as loving and supportive of his independence as you can.

Good luck to you.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The problem is, as it can be with the kids, that the minute I try to "help", they do the opposite.

your son is not a "kid", he is an adult. unfortunately if thats the lifestyle he wants to live, let him. like most of us here he'll eventually come to a point where HE wants to change for HIMSELF not just because mommy wants him to. it's gotta come from him.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bluntness ahead:

I agree. No matter how much we love our kids, they're their own person.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I understand that coming from you/his mother it might put him off, but what about getting someone else to talk to him? Does he have a brother or sister (or a "cool" aunt or uncle who he respects) who could approach the subject for you?

My father had bypass surgery a few years ago, and every once in a while he starts to slack off on his exercising, etc. My mother can't say anything to him about it because he thinks she's just being a nag. She calls me and I start with the "still walking on the treadmill Dad?...you know its a slippery slope if you get out of the habit" and BOOM...he's back on track and none the wiser :huh:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There really isn't much you can do. He has to want it.

All I would try to do is set an example by eating healthier and exercising in front of him...talk about your progress in front of him...how motivated and thrilling the feeling is to see changes and just hope that he takes the initiative to start to lose weight sooner rather than later.