Former smokers

Options
15678911»

Replies

• dlw0365
    dlw0365 Posts: 1
    Options
    I quit 10-6-2011 and haven't smoked since. I started off by simply NOT smoking for the DAY, then I challenged myself to NOT smoke another DAY, and then a WEEK and so on and so on. I never comitted to quiting completely, I knew that would NEVER work I smoked nearly 30 years. I just QUIT for the day, then the next day and then the next...I always told myself I can smoke anytime I want, but for right now I do not want too do it and I want to see how long I can go. It's been 9 months and I haven't had one yet and at this point I know I never will.

One more tip...cravings only last 3 minutes, so if you can occupy yourself for 3 minutes you'll beat it one craving at a time.

My theory was if I don't really really try now...when will I? When will you?

Good luck! Mind over matter...the benefits are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
  • Joannac70
    Joannac70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit over two years ago with Chantix. I smoked two packs a day for a really long time, so this was like a miracle drug for me. I never even think about it anymore
  • smswart
    smswart Posts: 9
    Options
    I quit in May, after making a decision to be smoke free by my 25th birthday. I didn't use anything to help me quit, just prepared myself mentally over a month before my birthday, and slowly cutting down my intake.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    It took me numerous times to quit, but when i first met my wife ( who was a non-smoker, and still is) 18 years ago, i decided to give up the Cancer Sticks for good, since she didn't care for them at all, and we were in the beginning of our relationship. I wanted to start things on the right foot, and to not have her deal with a walking ashtray.
  • Salue
    Salue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i'v been smoking since i was 9years old i think :P then kept smoking alot when i grew up i smoked like 2 or 3 packs a day then when i became like 18-20 i said to myself i should stop smoking because in a way im killing myself and that is wrong in my religion " trying to be religous " and that i harm everyone around me also and i wanted to make my parents happy so i prayed to stop then slept then i started my day with out smoking and it's been a happy 2-3years with out smoking or having the hunger to smoke " note that all the places i go all the people around smoke and they tryed to make me smoke "
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The defining moment came when my husband told me his biggest fear was his mom dying of lung cancer. At that moment, I realized that is exactly how my son felt about me and I needed to quit.

I used Chantix for three months and now, nearly two years later, smoking is no longer a temptation.

Best of luck!

P.S. My mother-in-law has been quit for over six months now (still using e-cig, but that's better than smoking)
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    Quit smoking 15th Aug 2010, after 53 years, piled on weight mainly due to comfort eating , hence here, joined MFP Feb 2012,

I still get craving now and again, but my life is more active than it ever was, can walk 2miles in 1 hour with no adverse effects, although I do have to use an handi - haler in the mornings.

One of the best advantages from not smoking is my wife and I used to say, "Can we afford to go anywhere this month for a short break?"

Now I say "Where do you want to go this month for a short break?"

To those of you thinking of giving up, good luck, to those of you in difficulty try try again, and those of you like me that are happy congratulations.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

:drinker:
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    cold turkey a year ago - gotta have something to do with my hands now lol
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    cold turkey a year ago - gotta have something to do with my hands now lol

Easy pay the money your saving into the bank.... lol good luck:drinker:
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    Allen carrs easy way to quit smoking for me! It was like a miricle, I'll never smoke again been 4. Years now!!!
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    Stop Smoking Paul McKenna - read the book, listened to CD - woke up the next morning a non smoker - that was 14 April 2001 - only craved cigs 3 times since then but never enough to actually have one - best thing I ever did! Didn't subsistute cigs for food either :)
  • bigdal77
    bigdal77 Posts: 69
    Options
    hi i had my last smoke on the 6th of jan 2012 i don't know but this time it was easy for me after trying so many times before i used gum and patches for about 4 months and then thats it im an nonsmoker :) i think i was just in a great frame of mind after losing so much weight i just thought if i can do that i can do this good luck it will be the best decision you make :happy:
  • auntie_mush
    Options
    Cold turkey-ish about 2 years ago :happy:

I had quit in the past again cold turkey. I remember I was in my final month of my Masters' degree and I was writing up my Dissertation. For some reason I looked at the cigarette and said.. "I don't need you" and didn't smoke for the next two years. A bad moment and there I was looking for a cigarette. I smoked one, then the second one and before I knew it I was back to smoking.
    My fiance was also a smoker at the time so quitting was not an option... most of our friends were smoking as well. :grumble:

In March 2010 I had a very bad cough and found it ridiculous to smoke and complain about the cough at the same tim :huh:
    So I just stopped smoking for a couple of days, then weeks, months :wink:

My fiance stopped as well last September, through Alan Carr and he's been clean ever since!

Good luck to anybody's who's trying to quit... :flowerforyou:

And remember... if you really WANT to quit you will (either cold turkey or by attending seminars, reading books... you will find the way because you want to)... if you DON'T WANT to quit you'll just wont quit!
    It's really up to you!
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I quit 26 yrs. ago. I gradually quit. The way i did it was, i kept a pen and paper next to my pack of ciggarettes and every time i lit a ciggarette, i kept a count of how many i smoked each day for a while and each day i smoked one less than the day before till i was down to not smoking much and then one day after counting cigarette for a few days i picked up my cigarettes, lighter, and ashtrays all and threw them in the creek in my backyard and watched them float away.