Former smokers

Options

Replies

• ittybittypixie
    Options
    I have been smoking for the past 13 years, and I really want to quit before I turn 30 (about a year left to get it done). I wish the best of luck to you, its a tough habit to kick! I did buy the Alan Carr book :http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Women-Stop-Smoking-Revolutionary/dp/1402765509 Great to hear so many other people on this site that have quit! I feel like a jerk when I leave yoga class and light up a smoke..
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in late December 2011. I had said I was going to quit for a couple years, and I would quit cold turkey and decide I wanted another one months later. This time, I haven't had a cigarette in 7 months - I did it for myself, but it helped that I was no longer surrounded by people who smoke. I'm now living at home with parents (non smokers), as I plan my wedding to my wonderful fiance (also a non smoker, who has begged me never to smoke again). Three of my grandparents died from lung cancer, so it's easy to see why I need to maintain my smoke-free lifestyle if I'm going to live a long and happy life.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I very quickly cut down on the amount I was smoking, over the course of a few days (I was pregnant and needed to quit asap). Started back up again after I had my baby. Found out third-hand smoke could be causing ear infections in my son. Quit cold turkey.

Sometimes, I would just hold a cigarette to satisfy my craving, without lighting it. It's been about two years since I've smoked.
  • bahnscutie
    bahnscutie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a regular smoker for about 10 years. After being pregnant, I did not want the smoke to be around my child so I quit smoking in my car, in the house, and around her. So eventually I would only smoke when I would go out for a drink. I went for a check up with the doctor and there was signs of pre-cervical cancer. The doctor said I had to quit even if I only smoked once a week. Even with the doctors orders I still would smoke on the weekends until one night I had a smoke and I thought "This is my last one, I am not even enjoying this anymore". And that was the end of my smoking! :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey 10 years ago. Started again for a few months about a couple years back. I used stress as an excuse. Then quit cold turkey again after realizing only I had the power to change this. Good luck to you if you're quitting!
  • mariekphillips21
    Options
    I quit because my Son said to me "You're the only parent I have". That's all the motivation I needed I haven't smoked in 7 years.
  • texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey April 1, 2012... so about 3 1/2 months ago. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I just woke up one day and realized I was done and haven't smoked since. I DID gain about 10 pounds because then I was eating all the time but have finally started exercising much more and it is amazing how much better I can BREATHE!!! Good luck!
  • Cold turkey - 20 years ago.
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    Almost a year ago- cold turkey. Tried many times before that, many different methods. Id have to say the 2 biggest differences between the time it worked and the times it didn't work is a) I finally really wanted to quit and b) the support and prayers of my Pastor and his wife. The first 3 days are awful but you have to make up your mind and once you get throughthe first 72 hrs nicotine free (not 1 drag) it will get easier. Just don't cheat or it takes you right back to the 1st hr of withdrawal. You can do it!
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    I quit using an eCig,gradually lowering nicotine over a three month period, two years ago. I haven't really even thought about it since I've quit, to be honest. It really helped with the oral fixation.
  • NettyIOM
    NettyIOM Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Used Nicorette patches to quit, around 8 years ago. I had a very, very tidy house during that period with trying to keep myself busy :-)

Even though I gained around 30lbs, its the best thing I ever did! Will shift this weight now, once and for all!

Good luck!
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I very quickly cut down on the amount I was smoking, over the course of a few days (I was pregnant and needed to quit asap). Started back up again after I had my baby. Found out third-hand smoke could be causing ear infections in my son. Quit cold turkey.

Sometimes, I would just hold a cigarette to satisfy my craving, without lighting it. It's been about two years since I've smoked.

I carried ballpoint pens in the cup holder of my car for a while so that while driving I could hold a pen between my fingers while I broke the habit of smoking while driving. I couldn't hold onto a real ciggie because I would give in and light it. Finally, the ballpoint pens were so long and cumbersome while driving and I realized I didn't have the cravings as bad anymore. Still get them every now and then, but they're easy to get past. I treat them like hungry thirst, and drink some water to help me forget.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in Feb 2011 because I had acute bronchitis didn't want it to turn into chronic bronchitis. I haven't had any cravings for it until lately. I am so glad I quit and don't plan on starting back. Good luck, it's not easy but so worth it!
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago - almost to the day! I was finally mentally ready to stop for good. Used the patch - the generic wal mart brand lol but i started on the 'second level' because i thought the first level would be too strong for me. I had smoked for about a dozen years. I probably only bought 2 boxes of the patch and was done. I never want one, they actually are kinda icky to me now. UNLESS I get wicked drunk lol then if my friends around me are smoking, i may be tempted to ask for one but I think its a reversion to my old life of drunk chain smoking in my college years. Find something else to do with your hands besides bite your nails lol.
    GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN QUIT!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 8 years ago because we were too poor to support my habit. Back then, a carton of Benson & Hedges (only menthol cigarette in Canada, I swear) was $70. I replaced it with food, then food with gum. I still want to smoke.
  • jdavidson81
    jdavidson81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I quit Feb. 12, 2012 using the patch. i did the patch for only part of the time and never did do step three. I think the secret of quitting is wanting to quit. I also joined becomeanex.com. There are a lot of people on there for support and advice. Good luck on your journey.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    January 3, 2011. Cold turkey. I needed to do it this way. It was easier for me. I knew if I tried to wean myself off of them or use an e-cig, it would never work. So, I just stopped.

Each week, I took the money I would spend on them and put it away. After a while, I had enough for a downpayment on a new car (matched with the amount I got in on my trade in). A new car is wayyyyy better than cigarettes! Lol

Find what works for you. You can do it! :)
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    I tried qutting cold turkey quite a few times but it didnt work for me. I talked to my Dr. and was given Chantix. That stuff is amazing! It really worked for me. I stayed on it for two months and havent looked back - I have been smoke free for almost 6 months. there were a few side effects from the drug though - really weird, vivid dreams and towards the end I felt really depressed, so that is when I stopped taking it. Everyone reacts differently, i talked to some people who loved it and stayed on for 6 months (the max, usually) and to others that hated it and said that it didnt do jack for them. Which ever method you deicide to go with, stick to it. its an amazing feeling to be able to breathe and not smell like smoke. And if you ever do need your fix, just sniff someone that smoked - that helps me if i ever get a craving. :)) Good luck!!
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I quit 8.5 years ago. I figured out how many I smoked per day and cut it by one for a week then repeated until it was one a day, then every other day, etc... I found the hardest thing is when you associate smoking with a particular action like breaks, after eating, with coffee or drinks, after sex, etc. The habit is harder to break than the physical addiction. Break the pattern first, then the do the physical part, I think that most of the people that have trouble stopping it's because of trying to break a psychological addiction and a physical one at the same time. Just my theory, not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, just observations of myself, friends and family members.

Totally, my greatest residual urges to smoke coincides with physical activity as a 'reward' for what I have done ... Very weird considering one contradicts another.

I used to hike all day but smoked at various rest points ... I think I associated smoking with appreciating the views/nature, it's just a habit/association that needs breaking.

Same here! My absolute favourite cigarette was the one I'd have as I exited the gym! I used to say that my blood must have too much oxygen in it, lol!

I quit in 2007, used patches for around 6 weeks until i realised I'd forgotten them a couple of days and then stopped using them. My husband quit soon aftr me and went cold turkey. We've both gained weight so I'd recommend you do some form of exercise as something to break the habit.

I hate everything about smoking now, especially the smell, but I still miss the feel of them in my hand... :smokin:

^This!

I don't smoke in my home or car, so random times through the day, or in traffic won't be a problem. I can think of things I associate with smoking and it will be difficult to break that association:
    1. Waking up in the morning. Stepping outside for a smoke is the first thing I do. Well, the second technically. THe neighbors don't want to see me in my underwear, so I do get dressed.
    2. After a meal. There's something very satisfying about a full belly and smoking.
    3. Being outside, hiking and geocaching. Anytime my friends and I get out of the car to go hike and look for a cache, we light up. Every time we move on to the next cache, we light up. Repeat for every cache we look for in a day.

I'll have to find a way to replace the first two. As far as Geocaching, I think I might be able to manage that. I'll just either go out with non-smokers (wait...I don't know any non-smoking geocachers), or take only my kids. If need be, I'll stop going for a while.

Here's what I keep telling myself: Most addictive drugs have a "reward" which is, in part, what makes them addicting. They alter your state of mind in a detectable way. Some make you feel happy, some make you high, some relax you, some take you to a completely different world. Cigarettes don't do that. I can't even pinpoint what it is about them that makes me want to light up. So, why do I smoke? I can't tell anyone why I smoke or what it does for me, all I know is what it does to me when I don't have one. There is not one single good reason to smoke, so I need to work past what it does when I don't have one, and feel better physically each day. I'm 37 years old and feel the negative effects that 25 years of smoking has had on my body. That's the majority of my life I've been poisoning myself. I can't wait to see what my body feels like a couple months after quitting, it will be something i haven't ever truly experienced as an adult.

Why'd I type all that? So I can come back and read this thread after I quit, when my brain is trying to convince me that just one cigarette will make everything better...
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was Jan 1st 2012.
    I have NOT had one since - I do at times crave it ---
    but that is a MIND thing -
    I CONTROL my MIND - and hence my actions.
    Good luck -
    YOU CAN DO IT!! just make up your mind that THIS IS IT -=
    (my dad (rest his soul, died of lung cancer 2.5 yrs ago) said -
    DONT MAKE IT HARDER THAN IT HAS TO BE !