Former smokers

Options

Replies

• blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Cold turkey & deep breathing meditation- eventually running- It was not fun for the first 3 days but after that I would tell myself, you already were miserable for 72 hours why go back now? It would be like saying all the hard work and misery for 72 hours was a waste. I would tell myself that when ever I wanted a cigarette. I haven't smoked for 8 years and sometimes I still get an urge but there is no way I am giving up after 8 freaking years!!
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey. 2.5 - 3 packs/ day. Sept. 18 1995.
  • groovybeenz
    groovybeenz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I quit over 6 months ago. I used the nicotine gum for the first month. It was tough but after smoking 11 years it was way past time to quit. The cravings still come from time to time but more of a passing thought than anything else. Good luck.
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 3 yrs ago, I still miss it at times. My husband still smokes and it doesnt bother me too much. I feel much better and spend my money on pedis and manis now! :happy:
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. That's the only way that worked for me. I was in the right mindset and just did it.

It was hard for the first week, and after, I just never looked back. I would have the odd craving/dream even a year later.

The worst was where I had super realistic dreams that I smoked and woke up horrified because I couldn't remember if I smoked or not...(I didn't...but gosh those dreams were horrid!! and guilt inducing!! haha)

Good luck to you. :)

Edited again to add: I had smoked for 15 years when I decided I HAD to quit "this time for real"....I have not smoked in 7 years.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i quit a total of 24 times. sometimes i'd make it a day or two, sometimes a month.
    but i don't think i was ever actually ready to quit mentally.
    one day, i woke up, and decided i was done.
    that was 11 weeks ago, and i haven't looked back since. cold turkey. and i love it.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago, then picked it up again for a few months last year when I was going through a divorce. Then I started training for a marathon and realized I wasn't going to be a very good runner if I couldn't breathe, so I quit again. The first time I used the patch for a couple weeks then just didn't want one anymore. This time (quit in January) I just put them down. Running was more important to me than smoking, so it was easier this time around.
    First week is always rough, though.....even that second time around. No one really wanted to be around me. LOL

Good luck!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I quit due to starting to get bad headaches from the smoke, and with enough of my loved ones b!tching at me, haha. It's not easy, to be honest, and years later I still crave and, in more honesty still have an occassional one when work pisses me off. But it's so much money if you add it up PLUS you can't taste/smell anything right! Good luck and good job for taking the healthy route!
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    Champix. 5 years now, smoke free. Although the frame of mind I was in at the time probably contributed the most. Nicotine replacement is NOT the way to do it.

My number one piece of advice to anyone who's thinking of stopping is that you MUST MUST MUST actually WANT to stop. If there's even one tiny little part of you that doesn't want to, don't even think about it, you WILL fail until you are 100% positively positive you want to. You will be just torturing yourself for the days/weeks/month you don't smoke.
  • jessica_120214
    jessica_120214 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quit since November 2011, still get a craving every now and then...especially when stressed. But I can breathe again:) I had bronchitis...felt like crap for over a week and had no desire to smoke. I had prayed earlier for the strength to help me quit. Well I got bronchitis instead...but hey, the good Lord works in mysterious ways! And it worked! Haven't smoked since! I still thank God for that case of bronchitis:)
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I smoked for almost 30 years (started when I was 13...UGH) and used Champix. It will be 3 years this October and I've never looked back. I do have cravings once in while but nothing like I used to get when I would use the patch or just quit cold turkey. Best thing I ever did :)
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I quit Oct 6, 2009!!!! And I haven't looked back!!! Oh, and I quit cold turkey. :happy:
  • svfd235
    svfd235 Posts: 26
    Options
    It's been a little over 3 months for me, I quit cold turkey! I chewed gum and when I had a craving I would just work out to beat it, Good luck to you, you can do it!
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    The worst was where I had super realistic dreams that I smoked

I still get those 5 years later, I wake up so disappointed with myself!!!
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 weeks before finding out I was pregnant. Once someone else's well-being depended on me quitting, it was super easy. I got started again after I had my daughter, but I didn't smoke much. Then one day I just thought, "This is so stupid." I just quit cold turkey. I still crave sometimes, but it really helps if you have something to do, like a craft that requires lots of work (knitting, making a friendship bracelet, etc.) That really helped me. Also, I told myself that for the first two weeks, I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted as long as I didn't smoke. After that 2 weeks, I started counting calories again and lost the few pounds I had gained. No biggie.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my first. That was over 6 years ago. I've been smoke free since. :smile: I still get cravings now and again, but mainly if I am drinking A LOT of alcohol (which is rare).
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Your going to notice a huge difference right away and feel better. I quit 1/22/2007 cold turkey. I had the nicorette gum but only used it once or twice a day. Keep a big supply of tooth picks and straws to chew on. Also something silly (that I still do to this day) is use Burts Bees lip balm... message me for a life saving web sight if you would like. You can do this!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on August 10, 2010 because I was in the hospital with a blood clot. The morphine drip I was on for 2 days helped quite a bit with the worst part of quitting. haha. When I was released, I knew that was it. I still get cravings or it seems like a good idea to smoke but running is more important to me now. I'm fairly certain I can't be a smoker and a runner. I'm not interested in finding out. Quitting was the best thing I've ever done. Good luck!
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back (4 months ago). On rare occasion I will want them but then I just tell my self I am a non-smoker and it goes away. I get the feeling less and less. I smoked 1/2 -1 pack a day for 25 years.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Put them down, and did not pick them back up. I smoked half a pack to a pack a day for about 17 years. Not going to work for everyone, but it was the only way for me. Best of luck to you!! It CAN be done ;)