Is there anything you have Given up because you go too far?

Options

Replies

• tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Although I have not given up any one particular group of food or food item- I do have a LOVE/ hate relationship with all chips :( so.... when I feel that I must have some chips (and know that it is hard to stop eating them) I buy Pop Chips. Super yummy, less harmful nutritionally than regular chips and only 360 calories for the entire medium bag :)

Someday I will have the willpower to never eat chips again, but for right now popcorn and other healthy, slightly crunchy, salty treats are usually OK substitutes.
  • Bbethel
    Bbethel Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't know if you have ever heard of the candy called "SMARTIES". I truly believe there is crack in that stuff! I had it so bad that I had to have an intervention. I went off for a year and then said I would only eat them in moderation. Sad to say, I was eating those little dusty candies by the bagful. Before I went cold turkey, I would salivate at the thought of eating one! Its been at least two years and I have vowed to NEVER touch another one.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brownies! OMG I could eat an entire pan in one night. If it wasn't for my daughter wanting some I probably would eat the whole thing.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    I've given up on Captian Morgan because I went too far, way too many times. But that was less of a decision and more of a reflex...

Oh, tequila too. *shudders*
  • theresaknorman
    Options
    It's ice cream for me. I've finally been okay with eating a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich and 2 tables of Reddi Whip. I think it addes up to like 190 calories. I just make sure I save enough for that combo every night and it seems to be working. My husband sits right next to me with a huge bowl of sherburt or ice cream and if I eat mine slowly, I'm good.

I also usually over do on chips and salsa....it does help me to take a small portion of each and go into the other room to eat them.
  • listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    Options
    I had to give up buying gummy fruit snacks. I will binge binge binge on those. Which is weird because half the time i don't even like the taste.
  • tinacrane
    Options
    More like, I won't have certain things at home. That's completely restricting me from eating things if I am at home. There is never any chips, or cookies, or really much junk at my house (sure doesn't stop me from eating it, haha) but this way I KNOW i cannot have it at home.

This!
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving this up forever but I'm avoiding alcohol for a while. I tried to drink in moderation but once I start I couldn't care less about anything in moderation.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Alas, bread. :sad:
  • HulaHips83
    HulaHips83 Posts: 129
    Options
    lo mein, chips & any kind of dip, cake, pie, cookies, pasta, pizza, burgers.....and anything else that's delicious and not good for me. I have to avoid it all.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I can't keep treats in the house anymore. I just can't stop myself from eating too many, every day. I'll think of excuses to let myself have "just one" dark chocolate, but then it'll turn into 5-6. Or I'll buy ice cream, reasoning that I'll only have it once a week, and on a bad day I'll eat the whole pint. Lol. Yep, if I eat any treats it's normally at my boyfriend's house.
  • frankensteen
    frankensteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the summer, my mom bought us a box of Drumsticks (ice cream cones) from Costco. A really big box. I used to eat one of those and decide I was still "hungry" (more like bored and craving!) and move on to chips. Ketchup chips were my weakness!

So my problem was not that I'd eat too much of a single thing, it was that I'd eat one snack and want a bit of everything else!

Nowadays I find that I don't have to give up things entirely. I just have to keep in mind that my snacks, including junk, need to fit into my daily calorie budget. That's usually enough to remind me to snack in moderation. I've even counted out chips as I ate them (27 chips for a serving of Lay's Ketuchup chips!) and I find that it really is a decent size portion! I can put the bag away easily now.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Sugar for the most part. If I stick to protein then I dont crave it but if I break down and have just one (of anything!) then it is harder to avoid.
  • sphair81
    sphair81 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have to be really really careful with any carb from soda to chips to pizza. When they say empty calories, they mean empty calories. I start off with the best of intentions, but I go back for more because they're never filling. Now, I try to wait until the end of the day to eat them and only if I have extra calories, such as yesterday when I had over a 1000 calories left after eating dinner and the entire days worth of food. I have also found that I've been going after taste, not just that food. So, when I crave chips or fries, It's usually something salty, so I get an apple and spread some laughing cow. I get sweet and salty for 65 calories verses 160 for ten fritos and I still feel hunger after those ten fritos. I also found, that like most women, I don't get enough fiber. When I started eating things that had at least 2-3g of fiber in a snack and 5+g fiber in a meal, I felt fuller and didn't gorge myself. I love frito chili pie, so I just portioned out my chips, used extra chili (turkey with beans for less fat and high fiber) and a low fat cheese (I love weight watchers shredded) and you can add some lt. sour cream. I just had to find a way to make what I wanted work for me. This website has been a lifesaver. I can actually see how what I eat is affecting me. I lost 20lbs before I even got on here, but mfp helps me maintain my healthy lifestyle. But I still have to be so vary careful with carbs.
  • tinacrane
    Options
    Don't know if you have ever heard of the candy called "SMARTIES". I truly believe there is crack in that stuff! I had it so bad that I had to have an intervention. I went off for a year and then said I would only eat them in moderation. Sad to say, I was eating those little dusty candies by the bagful. Before I went cold turkey, I would salivate at the thought of eating one! Its been at least two years and I have vowed to NEVER touch another one.

Smarties!?! Those little sugar pellets with flavoring?? LOL
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I haven't really cut anything out but I have stopped letting myself buy all the junk I'll make over a healthy meal. If I'm out and about with friends or I'm really stuck for options I don't mind having the occasional treat, but having it all in the house wasn't helping at all.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    margaritas!

*sigh*
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    For me I love French Fries with gravy and vinegar....especially from this one restaurant my fiance and I always go to.

However, I started eating my chicken with the gravy and vinegar instead to mimic the same flavour that I craved... While Gravy isn't necessarily the healthiest option I limit it to a small portion that equals out to only 40 calories....so I am saving myself all that extra calories from those fries!
  • Ueropa
    Ueropa Posts: 73
    Options
    This is embarassing but.. before I became healthy, I would peck off an entire giant bag of sunflower seeds a day. Sometime's 2 bags. I've tried to eat just a handfull, but I will always go back for one more handfull.. that turns into a whole bag lol.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given anything up completely but, gibe me a bag of salty pita chips at midnight and I'll eat half the bag. So I try to keep those kind of snacks out of the house.

Chinese takeout is my nemesis. I love it and can not eat one serving. Ever. I have definitely gotten better at the amount I eat (to that I am so proud) but it still has to be a once a month type thing.