Moms with small children

Options
I need some help. How do you find time to exercise? I'm home with my daughter all day, she is two. I'm struggling finding ways to exercise because most of the time she's with me. I'm looking for people to go on this journey that are in the same position as I am. Currently I'm a stay at home mom until September. Then I go back to work and this will add an entirely new dimension to finding time to get exercise in. I sometimes feel I'm so busy taking care of the house, the finances and my kids that I neglect myself. Thanks. Hope everyone has a very successful day!

Replies

• Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom and have a 3 year old boy. I just exercise with him in the room now. I used to try and wait to do it when I could have my husband sit with him. I thought he'd be a maniac about it, but he just sat and watched me and every once in a while he'd say "mumma, you so strong!" and "good job! one more time!"

So not only do I get my workout in, he sees it and learns the importance of being active AND I have my own little cheering section. Win/Win/Win!
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Does she nap? That would be a great time to do a workout video such as Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Or do you own a stroller? Taking her on a walk every day is great exercise. I take care of my son, alone, work 40 hours, and take care of my house and finances also. I think it's about how much you want it. I find time to work out bc it is important to me. After she goes to bed at night is a good time. You said she is two (mine is almost there), so i'd assume she goes to bed around 8? There's plenty of time after that to get a workout in, and still get stuff done and to bed at a decent hour. At least thats my approach! Good luck!!
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a 22 month old and a 3 and a half yr old. The days I am at home with them I wait til the little one naps and I let the big one sit and watch me do my shred DVD. I often get comments like "Mummy you are not doing it the same as the ladies on the tv - they are standing on their toes" when I am doing my half press ups. Helpful!
  • CitaPita
    CitaPita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll join this club! I'm in a similar boat, although I work outside the home. I have a 2 and 4 year old and by the time I pick them up at daycare and drive home it's after 6pm. Then it's dinner, baths, and little bit of playing, then bedtime around 8:45-9:00 or so. They invariably get out of bed a few times (but mommy, I have to go potty! Mommy, I need a drink!) THEN when they finally are out for good it's time to clean up, do dishes and laundry. I fall into bed at 11:00 everynight without having more than 10-15 minutes of downtime (and this is while I'm eating dinner.) The little ones wake up around 6:00 am, then the whole process starts over again. Sometimes I think I need to hire a housekeeper just in order to get time to myself. :(

I've thought about using my lunch break to do some walking. The only problem with that is that it's been over 100 degrees here almost every day for the past three weeks. I sweat a lot when I work out, and I work in an office and wear slacks, dresses and heels almost everyday.

Sigh. I think I just got myself worked up about this! When on earth am I supposed to work out?
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I work out when my 3 year old and 4 month old nap. Or right when they first wake up, nad are easily entertained. I'll put a movie on in my 3 year olds room for him. And then I do a jillian michaels video. We also have a gym on the first floor of our building, so I run in the morning before they wake up (daddy is at work, so I use a baby monitor).. and then after they go to bed.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have two kids. My daughter is 18 months and my son is 5. He likes to go on walks with me and I have a jogging stroller that I will take my daughter out in once in a while. If you are not into jogging, I agree with the above poster that walking/pushing the stroller is great exercise. I also workout after my little ones go to sleep, which is usually about 9pm for me (at least during the summer, we are about to move back up to an 8pm bedtime since school will be starting soon.) I either do 30 day shred or Insanity depending on how tired I am and what else needs to be done before bed. You can also use your daughter in your exercise. Let her sit on your belly while you do sit-ups, lift her with your legs (like the airplane game) or just dance with her to music (my daughter loves to dance). Hope this helps, good luck! :)
  • GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    I started out putting my son in a stroller and walking. Sometimes for 2-3 hours a day.

You can figure out a way to include your child in the workout. My son tries to do yoga with me. I do step aerobics with my son in the room we usually watch something we both like and he sometimes gets in the way but, usually steers clear of my feet.

Good Luck!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I have a 4.5 year old and a 2 year old, and I work full time 1st shift. My husband works 2nd shift and weekends.

The kids don't let me exercise while they are up. Well, actually, they love to exercise! But it's not the kind of work out I'd like. LOL. It's just me trying not to trip on them, and getting them off of my belly. :wink:

For over a year, I exercised after they went to bed 6 nights per week. Just a couple of months ago, I stopped that and started going to the gym during my lunch break. Your best bet IMO will be to do it before your babe gets up, or after s/he goes to bed. GL! :smile:
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump, I have two kids (6 & 1) and will be homeschooling this upcoming year. I haven't perfected it and I am still working out the kinks, but I can give what has helped me later. Now I need to take girl to gymnastics camp.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a full time working mom of a 18mth old. I know what you mean about finding time. I work long days and between commuting, cooking, cleaning and other house hold chores I always thought I didn't have time. Turns out I do have the time ~ I just have to be flexible with my schedule. What works for me one day may not work for me the next.

I usually wake up at 5am and go for a run and do some free weights, sit ups and jumping jacks. I do don't belong to a gym. I work out at home (easier for me with my son). For those days when I don't get my morning work outs in I do an on demand exercise video (or one from my local library) after I put my son to bed.

Weekends I take my son out for a walk with his wagon or in the carriage. We play in the back yard or at the playground. I chase him and run around with him as if I was a child myself. On rainy weekends I lay two towels (instead of mats) down in the living room and my son loves to roll around & copy me as I do my workouts.

There are days that I don't get any exercise in and you know what that is ok because, there is always tomorrow. I try to stay focused on my healthy eating and drinking plenty of water even if I don't exercise.

Everyone is different so try different workouts at different times. :smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I work out before my husband goes to work in the morning. I get up at 6, go to the gym for about an hour and have time to shower and things before he leaves for work around 7:30. Kiddos are still sleeping until about then, it works out. It's the only time I can really find to do it. I'd rather have the extra hour or sleep some mornings but it's nice that it's done and over with before the day really even starts.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I work out during naps, or I just clear the room and work out while they play. Sometimes they join me. they think I am being silly. I also plan with my husband when I go on walks. I get a 35 minute head start then meet them at the park then he goes off for a jog. I also wait for them to go to bed. Changes day-to-day.
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    i'm a stay at home mum to a 15 month old, ans also a fulltime student.
    i exercise during his naps
    and when he's asleep at night :)

i also do a bit when he's in the room. he finds it hilarious :)
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I will not advocate getting up at 5am or anything....LOL! but seriously ladies....tell the husband to handle bedtime and you are going to exercise. Then leave. Period.

They realy can do it if you make them.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Before they get up, during their nap or try after you put them to bed at night. I work out to Jillian Michael's DVD's, I work a full time job and have 4 daughters, during the week I come home after work and work out before I have to get the kids from daycare or I wait until they go to bed at night and work out then. My hubby and I have been trying to go on walks with the kids or go bike riding (let me tell you how 'fun' that is with 3 on a bikes and a baby seat :wink: )
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership at a place that includes child care.

Before that I just did my workouts when he was there... I just had to do things at home, like workout DVD's. He can entertain himself for a while.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mother of a 6 year old and a 21 month old. I do my workouts in our basement and my kids play with their toys & watch a tv while I do my workouts on my computer. Sometimes they come in and get in the way or cry and I have to stop to change a diaper or something, but I have been making it work for the last 4 years. I do Insanity right now and I really love the Jillian Michaels workouts and Chalean Extreme. You do the best you can with the time that you have. I find that doing it first thing in the morning leaves me no excuses to not get it done later because I'm to tired or busy. I find I can still get all my other chores done too!
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old. I do my main work out after they go to bed (around 8).
    I do small work outs with the kids through out the day so they can exercise with me. They only last 5-10 minutes but it gets both me and them moving. :)
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 2 and I just excersise in the room with her after she has been fed and changed. She usually tries to join in. Or I will have her grandma watch her for that time (:
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work at least 40 hours a week and my husband works 55+....our baby is 14 months and I totally get that its hard to maintain your daily chores, bills, shopping, etc with the kids at home. But if we can work this many hours and get all that stuff done AND workout, so can you. My trick is to make it priority #1 - its only 30 minutes a day (30 day shred, walking, etc.) so really, it doesnt take too much time away from life. If there's a lot going on, get up a little bit earlier that day. It seems hard the first few days to change your routing but the more you exercise the better your body can handle it! YOU CAN DO THIS. It is a challenge but its so worth it!! I'm happy to add more friends to cheer you on!