Moms with small children

Options

Replies

• amberlynyeager
    Options
    I have a full time job with an hour and a half commute each way to and from work and I have a four year old daughter. I try my best to work out, find a gym with a free daycare, a lot do, or even, some are just $10 a month for the daycare. If you can't do that, then get a work out dvd and just do it with her there. My daughter loves doing the Jillian Michaels 30day shred with me... She thinks it's fun, and it gets her interested in fitness, so she doesn't have to be obese like I am... She can have a good foundation of diet and exercise because I am doing right now, and I am a good influence on her now.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm also a stay at home mom to a 2 year old. Before I got my gym membership that has a daycare, I would do workout dvd's at home either before he woke up in the mornings (think 5am), during his naps, or after he went to bed (after 8pm.) The thing is, you have to make time for it, just like anything else. As Chalene Johnson would say, you have to schedule it in just like you would any other appointment and it has to be non-negotiable. You will find time to get the housework done too, but if you're ready to take care of you, then you make time to workout. Going on walks with your little one will help too on days that you can't get your regular workout in.
  • alim10
    alim10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 3-yr-old daughter. Many evenings after work I put her in the jogging stroller and walk and run for an hour to hour and 15 minutes. She loves to be outside, it's great bonding time for us because we can talk, and I get my workout in. I typically burn anywhere from 400-700 calories on our walk/runs. Also, I got my jogging stroller on craigslist for $50, and it has been a fantastic purchase!!
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    I have 3 kids ages 4 and under. With one kid -- should be much easier. Go for a walk, or if you have a jogging stroller, do that. Or join the YMCA and take her swimming. Or wait until nap time and do a DVD. Or take her to a park and walk around and look at flowers. Or to the zoo, or a children's museum. Or, if you have xbox/wii/ps3, get a kinect/wii/move game like zumba to get you moving! Those are fun!

Of course, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a working mom who is out of the house 45 hours by the end of Wednesday. I have seemingly no time to do anything, nor do I WANT do anything. lol. I spend most of my time outside of work cleaning or spending time with the kids. But, they do go to bed early (7:30)....so there IS time at night to be doing something for myself...but generally I'm too pooped to do anything. I do need to do better, for sure. I wish I didn't have to work so much. I think that would make a difference.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been working out since my kids were born. They are now 3 and 4 years old (boys). When they were 2 I would put them down for a nap and work out or just kept them in the pack & play in the room with me (with toddler puzzles or other toys). You could put one of the Baby Einstein Dvds in too...my kids were rapt with attention! It is important to make time for taking care of yourself... you will feel so good about yourself. Now when I work out, my kids are in their rooms with some toys playing and they know that "Mommy is exercising". I've tried having them do it with me, but found it to be too distracting for me (the mom radar just wouldn't stop running in overdrive...lol). It's just trial and error, really. You will find what works for you eventually.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    I try to wake up early, and work out then. I'll work out most often when my almost 2 year old naps. My son is 8, so it's no issue with him. When it's not too bad out, we'll all go out and jump on the trampoline. Not really a work out with the baby on there, but it's fun and moving around.
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    I am a SAHM with a 1year old and a 2 year old. Up until recently, I did not make exercise a priority. But I find I am a much better, more patient and fun mom when I make time for myself to exercise.
    My husband and I hired a sitter 6 hours per week. This is my time to do whatever I want/need to do and I almost always spend it exercising.
    I also belong to a gym that has a great daycare center, so they can come with me while I workout.
    Another thing we do as a family, is go for long walks.
    Good luck!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out before getting my kids ready and going to work. It's quiet, no one bothers me and it's done for the day. After work I'm just too tired and can come up with a million excuses. My husband is a chef so he's never home at dinner/bed time.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 3 1/2. I will sometimes do it when she is napping. Or she tries to exercise with me (as far as work out DVD's go) Or if I'm on the treadmill or elliptical she will just play in the room I'm in or watch some TV. Luckily for me though on the days my husband is off he takes care of her while I workout as well.
    You just have to make it work. I was worried about it at first too. Then just made it work! Good luck!!
  • belhepsibah
    Options
    I have 2 children. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 1/2. I try as much as I can to include them. We do yoga together before bed (my son thinks it's hilarious to fall out of positions so we do this a lot and get some giggles). I joined workout classes where I could take my kids along. My daughter will dance along with me to Zumba. My son loves to lift tiny one pound weights. We love to all go on a bike ride together (it's lots of work pulling 60 lbs of kid and trailer!). They like to help me pick out veggies and fruits when we go shopping. Make it a part of their lives too and make it fun!!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 month old daughter and am still home on maternity leave. I'll return to work in January 2013. We are non-stop! In the last 8 days we have been home one of them ... we go swimming at the beach for the afternoon, go to baseball and football games (great chance for walking,) head to the park, and I run with her 3x/week. My husband is away for work for stretches of a week + at a time, so it's she and I 24/7 when that happens.

Admittedly, some days I don't get anything in but that's the nature of the beast. She needs her rest days as much as I do.

Though yours is quite a bit older than mine, I imagine that I'm going to have to involve her to keep it up as she gets older -- jumping jacks in the back yard, active games.

My biggest suggestion would be to involve her! Walks (to the library maybe?,) bike rides, swimming.

Enjoy :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 1lb and a set of 2lb weights, and my 2 and 3 year old use those and join in. My 3 year old son doesn't stick with it long, but I've just kind of laid down rules (stay out of my way, this is not 20 question time, beware - random kicking!) and after some time they finally caught on. It's never easy or the ideal situation, but thankfully 30 Day Shred is like 25 minutes total. :happy:
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I have two - 6 and 4 (and adult children, too).

I take them on double jogging stroller rides (not so much anymore, they are getting too big)

Exercise with them in the room (try to get them to join me).

They run and walk with me (they like to race me lol).

They ride their bikes while I run/walk.

I chase the kids around (that can be a great workout and they love it).

I get up early (5:30 am) while everyone is sleeping to work out.

For when you start working: I workout sometimes at lunch or right after work before I head home or to my other job.

I also have workout and exercise dvd's that include the kids but I don't use them so much anymore. In fact, if I find them I am going to give them away lol.

PS....I sometimes play with the kids and use them as my "weights". They think that's a ton of fun :-)
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too and everyday I get at least a 30 minute walk in with my daughter (24 mo) either in the stroller or carrier and that's my exercise. I don't like doing "workouts", but with walking at least I feel like I'm being productive in the process and getting errands done, as well as getting some sunshine/vit D. :)
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Finding time to exercise is hard for most Moms, I think anyway. Usually for me to get any kind of good workout I need to get up before the kids or after they are off to bed. I ran last night at 9 pm in the rain!! I guess there's a first time for everything :) I suggest letting something go and working in the time for you. 30 minutes is not very long but will keep you losing and moving your body. On weekends when is harder for me to get away from the kids (my husband usually works all day Sat and Sunday is mostly consumed by church) I take them with me and walk rather than run. My kids enjoy the time with me and when they get tired I carry them (giving me a harder walk) - no strollers, no wagon. They get their exercise too. Instead of washing the dishes go for a run. Get up a little earlier the next morning and tackle the dishes then. There's always going to be a compromise to make until you find times that work in your schedule. Also, remember you don't have to exercise everyday, if you miss a day, there's always tomorrow.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I work from home full time (40+ hours per week) and I have a 2 1/2 year old little boy. I "schedule" exercise for myself every day - but not at any specific time because what worked one day may not work the next. Typically I try to have my work day completed by the time my son takes a nap so I move right into exercise or when my husband gets home. I work out for 45 to 60 minutes six days a week - and some days I have to do 15 here and 15 there - but I make sure to get in it. Today we have an afternoon appt so I'm going to handle my full time job, try to get 20 mins in at least - then go to the appt - then finish off at least 25 more. I've found that if I say I'm going to exercise at 3pm for 45 minutes and it doesn't work out I'm quick to give up. If I say "I'm going to do 45 minutes of exercise over the course of today" - I'm way more flexible and way more successful :happy:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am to drive to the gym which is 30 minutes away. My husband is still asleep at that time as are the kids, so it's the optimal time for me. I don't find time, I make time. :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My daughter is almost 1. I put on a dvd and just do it. It's not the easiest but she is usually content playing with her toys for a half hour. Hell sometimes when I'm doing yoga she tries to do it with me. She's got downward facing dog down pact!
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Does she nap? That would be a great time to do a workout video such as Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Or do you own a stroller? Taking her on a walk every day is great exercise. I take care of my son, alone, work 40 hours, and take care of my house and finances also. I think it's about how much you want it. I find time to work out bc it is important to me. After she goes to bed at night is a good time. You said she is two (mine is almost there), so i'd assume she goes to bed around 8? There's plenty of time after that to get a workout in, and still get stuff done and to bed at a decent hour. At least thats my approach! Good luck!!

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I also have a 2 year old. My husband does help out, especially on the weekends when he is off. But he is gone all day during the week until at least 8pm. I take advantage of my son's nap time when I can, but I often find myself running around picking up after him, doing dishes, etc... while he is asleep. Working out with him awake in the same room doesn't work out for us. He wants to grab me, get my attention and run in front of me. Walking with him is great, he loves it! I go to the local park and walk with him, play music or games like, "what do you see? where's the tree? what color is that car?...etc" I get in a good workout usually only after he goes to bed at 8pm. Good luck, it is hard work, but it is possible. Feel free to add me.
  • Katesalbrecht
    Options
    I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. And I watch my nephew who is almost 2. I'll put something with music on the tv to occupy them while I do my strength training. If I know I won't have time to do my exercises I'll run in place at home or make a exercise game everyone can get Into. Make it fun, or try and do it during naptime. I usually use nap time a clean up time and finance time. And relax for ten. Be creative, and have fun with it. Fall will be coming soon an then you can go on walks with strollers or play at the park, which is a great exercise too if you don't mind playing on the equipment haha. Good luck!!