can't build muscle on a calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I guess the real question is do you want more muscle or do you want more definition of the muscles you have. My leg muscles are much bigger than they were, but I've tried to keep my upper body a bit less bulky because, well, I just don't like the look of it, and neither does my wife. If you want to be a powerlifter, that's one thing. For most people the appearance is what is important, so you should probably figure out what your goal is, like, whether you are looking to look good or you want to bench press a buick, and go from there. I've done both, and was able to build muscle, albeit slowly, on a normal calorie intake. It also depends on how you calculate your deficit, where your BMR is, etc. There are a lot of factors involved.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1,000 calories per day deficit and can definitely feel muscles growing larger now from my workouts.

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
    no

Agree totally and found this the funniest post I've seen in ages!

Bravo!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1,000 calories per day deficit and can definitely feel muscles growing larger now from my workouts.

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
    no

This is the funniest **** evah!! BWWAHH AHHAAAA HAAA Well done, sir.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This confuses me can someone clear this up. I hear that you cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit, but I have been doing bootcamp which has circuits and a lot of strength training and while I have lost inches I have gained weight telling me that I have gained muscle I can also see more muscular definition and I am on a calorie deficit. So is that statement really not true or are they talking about something else?

You can build muscle on a deficit. Just not as fast. The potential muscle gain is less. You won't bulk up.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I think I'll keep doing what I am doing then.I have good muscle tone underneath the fat layer so at least my strength training will keep that there while I get the fat layer off. My goal is to have a soft but toned pin up style figure (I would have said feminine but muscular chicks are feminine too and I didn't want to offend). I am a natural hourglass so I want to go with that. I definitely don't want to be skinny fat, just toned but soft. Imagine Selma Hayak in From Dusk til Dawn................now that's a figure! Thanks I am glad to know I am headed in the right direction.
  • chunkybutt1
    chunkybutt1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This confuses me can someone clear this up. I hear that you cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit, but I have been doing bootcamp which has circuits and a lot of strength training and while I have lost inches I have gained weight telling me that I have gained muscle I can also see more muscular definition and I am on a calorie deficit. So is that statement really not true or are they talking about something else?

Not trying to be rude, but who cares? What you are doing is working and working well! So keep at it and don't get sucked into this debate. IMO much too much time gets spent on topics like this on MFP. For 90% of the people here it doesn't matter. Lift heavy, cut your calories, do cardio if you want. Do that, and your body will improve every time. What difference does it make as long as you look awesome?
  • tacomalo
    tacomalo Posts: 3
    Options
    Great topic and great responses. Thanks.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I wish it was possible. I have been putting in a lot of hard work for almost a year while losing my weight. I had the same experience as all new lifters where I actually thought I was gaining mass. Sadly it was not actual mass as everyone has stated above.

I have had a lot of people tell me I am getting bigger but it is just an illusion. I can also get a huge pump from working out and get all swollen which again makes you look bigger but is not real mass. The body I have now would fit inside the overweight body I started with.
    Untitled.jpg

About the most you can hope for is maintaining the lean mass you have.

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Great thread
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Not trying to be rude, but who cares? What you are doing is working and working well! So keep at it and don't get sucked into this debate. IMO much too much time gets spent on topics like this on MFP. For 90% of the people here it doesn't matter. Lift heavy, cut your calories, do cardio if you want. Do that, and your body will improve every time. What difference does it make as long as you look awesome?

I like this response a lot. As a newbie it really cuts through the junk that floats around. Thank you :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

I like this response a lot. As a newbie it really cuts through the junk that floats around. Thank you :)

I think it may be helpful for some people. Like me I believed it was possible because a few people or products claimed you can "convert" fat to muscle. When it does not happen for 99% of us we feel we must be doing something wrong. We didnt work hard enough or we did the wrong program or whatever. Luckily there are people willing to "politely" let you in on the truth and get your goals back on a realistic level.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The problem that arises with question is that people think they want more muscle mass when it's often unnecessary- weight lifting will make you look more muscular whether you're building actual muscle mass or not. There's a few reasons:

1) Neuromuscular adaptation is when your nervous system learns to use the muscle you already have- you're able to "fire" muscle fibers that you haven't been using, which makes your muscle feel firm and makes you feel stronger. Most people interpret the muscle firmness and added strength as new muscle- its not, but does it really matter? Muscle firmness and strength are probably the results you were looking for to begin with.

2) When you lose fat, your muscle becomes more visible. You look more muscular just by being less fat, and weightlifting is excellent for promoting the hormonal response that helps you lose fat. So, even without any new muscle tissue, and even if #1 weren't true (which it is) you would look more muscular just by lifting weights. So to the person that asked what's the point when you still have fat to lose, this is the point.

3) As has been mentioned numerous times, there is a beginner period where you can gain muscle on a deficit, but it's short lived and minor. You're not going to get bulky or ripped with newbie gains.

Now, like MustGetMuscle said, there comes a point where some people want to add muscle- at this point you will have to eat at a surplus and work REALLY hard. The average woman has approx. 1/16 the testosterone of a man, and testosterone drives muscle gains- so you can draw your own conclusions about that. For many women, this time may never come, because you get many of the benefits of muscle without new muscle tissue- strength, firmness, fat loss.

To the OP's question, you're probably experiencing some muscular water retention from the new program- It will go away eventually. Often times people don't realize they have water retention going on because you won't feel bloated like if you had too much sodium or TOM, its localized to the muscle. It's what is described as "swole" and can make the muscles look bigger- further perpetuating the myth that you can gain noticeable muscle on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The problem that arises with question is that people think they want more muscle mass when it's often unnecessary- weight lifting will make you look more muscular whether you're building actual muscle mass or not. There's a few reasons:

1) Neuromuscular adaptation is when your nervous system learns to use the muscle you already have- you're able to "fire" muscle fibers that you haven't been using, which makes your muscle feel firm and makes you feel stronger. Most people interpret the muscle firmness and added strength as new muscle- its not, but does it really matter? Muscle firmness and strength are probably the results you were looking for to begin with.

2) When you lose fat, your muscle becomes more visible. You look more muscular just by being less fat, and weightlifting is excellent for promoting the hormonal response that helps you lose fat. So, even without any new muscle tissue, and even if #1 weren't true (which it is) you would look more muscular just by lifting weights. So to the person that asked what's the point when you still have fat to lose, this is the point.

3) As has been mentioned numerous times, there is a beginner period where you can gain muscle on a deficit, but it's short lived and minor. You're not going to get bulky or ripped with newbie gains.

Now, like MustGetMuscle said, there comes a point where some people want to add muscle- at this point you will have to eat at a surplus and work REALLY hard. The average woman has approx. 1/16 the testosterone of a man, and testosterone drives muscle gains- so you can draw your own conclusions about that. For many women, this time may never come, because you get many of the benefits of muscle without new muscle tissue- strength, firmness, fat loss.

To the OP's question, you're probably experiencing some muscular water retention from the new program- It will go away eventually. Often times people don't realize they have water retention going on because you won't feel bloated like if you had too much sodium or TOM, its localized to the muscle. It's what is described as "swole" and can make the muscles look bigger- further perpetuating the myth that you can gain noticeable muscle on a deficit.

You know I :heart: you don't you?

Fantabulous explanation.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
    no

while i was interested in learning about this topic, thankyou for making my lunchbreak extra special, hahahaha!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You know I :heart: you don't you?

Fantabulous explanation.

Thanks Girrrrrl! :heart: you too!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks to all who were kind enough to explain!
    Much Respect......
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I wish it was possible. I have been putting in a lot of hard work for almost a year while losing my weight. I had the same experience as all new lifters where I actually thought I was gaining mass. Sadly it was not actual mass as everyone has stated above.

I have had a lot of people tell me I am getting bigger but it is just an illusion. I can also get a huge pump from working out and get all swollen which again makes you look bigger but is not real mass. The body I have now would fit inside the overweight body I started with.
    Untitled.jpg

About the most you can hope for is maintaining the lean mass you have.

^^^^^^^^^^This guy is a perfect illustration of the point I was trying to get across. Thru tons of dedication, sacrifice and hard work, MGM has transformed his body to the nth degree. I dont care what he weighs. I don't care about his BF%. He looks terrific and has achieved the type of results a lot of people are hoping for. I bet his vitals have improved too. I'm both happy for him and jealous as hell.

When his friends say he gained muscle, what they mean is that he got more *muscular*. When I drop weight I lose upwards of an inch off my arms, but the muscle finally showing instead of the fat makes people think my arms got a lot bigger. There's a technical difference, but who cares? I look better and I'm healthier.

The thing that bothers me is people getting too wrapped up in the technicals and get demotivated. "I cant gain muscle on a deficit so why bother strength training ". Nooooooooooooooo. Just do it. You'll get stronger. You'll look better. Just do it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    When his friends say he gained muscle, what they mean is that he got more *muscular*. When I drop weight I lose upwards of an inch off my arms, but the muscle finally showing instead of the fat makes people think my arms got a lot bigger. There's a technical difference, but who cares? I look better and I'm healthier.

The thing that bothers me is people getting too wrapped up in the technicals and get demotivated. "I cant gain muscle on a deficit so why bother strength training ". Nooooooooooooooo. Just do it. You'll get stronger. You'll look better. Just do it.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. There are soo many benefits to weightlifting even on a deficit. Maintaining muscle is number one and helps continue the weight loss. Muscle is very expensive calorie wise. Having more muscle burns more calories just being there. Since muscle burns calories all day everyday it will actually burn more than going to the gym. Not only that but posture, confidence, stamina, strength, and other health benefits have all improved from lifting heavy.