<~~~~ Wine lover!

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Skinny Girl wines. They aren't too bad and are only 100 calories per a serving.

I usually just add some sprite zero to my wine. Allows me to have a 'bigger' glass. :drinker:

:sick:

That actually no longer constitutes drinking wine.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Skinny Girl wines. They aren't too bad and are only 100 calories per a serving.

I usually just add some sprite zero to my wine. Allows me to have a 'bigger' glass. :drinker:

Skinny Girl is not real wine. And adding sprite? That's blasphemous to wine drinkers!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Try Skinny Grape and I'm a lover of Skinny Girl White Wine.. I do not drink red.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I too, love the red, and I drink it. I tend to leave an extra 300 calories a day for the wine. To me it's worth it. I eat balanced and I work out at least 5 days a week and I allow for my wine.

I forgot to mention that now I make sure I keep it within my calorie range, I just can't help but feel like I am still messing up my efforts. Lol Idk. In fact last night I still had about 400 calories left after having two glasses. (I ended up doing a Jillian Michaela banish fat AND later going to step aerobics which I love) So I guess I shouldn't feel so guilty.

I think my main issue is that when I would go out to dribk, my one intentional drink would turn into many (i regrettably became a regular at a nearby spot and befriended a lot of regulars lol. I think my real issue is keeping it to one glass lol. I think that is easier done ar home than when I'm out.

If you still had 400 calories after drinking two glasses of wine, maybe you're not eating enough (which is equally damaging to your efforts). Have you searched the forums for information on eating more to weigh less? You look pretty much healthy sized in your photo, so I assume you don't have much weight left to lose...
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just drink wine. My mantra is, "If I do this, I can have wine later." Gets me through a tough workout.
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    As long as it fits into your total calories drink it without guilt. Red wine is good for you. My current new favorite is Layer Cake red zin, and I also love a good bold Montepulciano - especially with Italian.
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I was on Weight Watchers... and lost 75 pounds. They changed the plan to much, I struggled to keep losing... moved to MFP, back to Happy World.... On MFP, I have lost another 6 and counting. I have a single glass (4-5 ounces) of really good red wine 3-4 times a week. Skip the cheap "okay" wine....

I forgo dessert or lighten dinner to counteract the calories... but yes! I have my wine AND still lose weight. :happy:

Bob Harper even says to drink some red wine! :love:
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know the body wants to metabolize alcohol before anything else, thus, temporarily stopping the metabolizing of fats and carbs, but that doesn't stop me from wanting...ok...craving the red! I love a good rich red wine. Not the sweet stuff lol, but the bold. For those of you who feel the same, how do you curb your taste for wine lol. For the record, I'm no alcoholic, but I do know that my nightly wine does not help with weight loss. Have any of you had the same "issue" with wine?

why would you want to curb your taste for wine?? wine is delicious, and it's good for you. but like everything else, in moderation. a glass of red wine has good things like antioxidants. here are the 8 benefits of red wine: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/01/8-straight-benefits-of-red-wine.html

but if a glass, turns into two, turns into a bottle, well, we have an entirely different problem. i used to joke that i didn't see the point of wine bottle stoppers: you open a bottle, you finish a bottle!! but now at a nightly setting, i pour a glass of wine, and i put the cork back on the bottle and stick it back in the fridge. unless it's steak or pasta night. then i have two glasses.

This. hehe I love my wine and if it fits within my calorie numbers and I want a glass, it's on! =)
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I too, love the red, and I drink it. I tend to leave an extra 300 calories a day for the wine. To me it's worth it. I eat balanced and I work out at least 5 days a week and I allow for my wine.

I forgot to mention that now I make sure I keep it within my calorie range, I just can't help but feel like I am still messing up my efforts. Lol Idk. In fact last night I still had about 400 calories left after having two glasses. (I ended up doing a Jillian Michaela banish fat AND later going to step aerobics which I love) So I guess I shouldn't feel so guilty.

I think my main issue is that when I would go out to dribk, my one intentional drink would turn into many (i regrettably became a regular at a nearby spot and befriended a lot of regulars lol. I think my real issue is keeping it to one glass lol. I think that is easier done ar home than when I'm out.

If you still had 400 calories after drinking two glasses of wine, maybe you're not eating enough (which is equally damaging to your efforts). Have you searched the forums for information on eating more to weigh less? You look pretty much healthy sized in your photo, so I assume you don't have much weight left to lose...

The thing is I ate quite a bit. I think I just overdid it with the exercise but that is NOT a normal day for me lol. I was actually kinda shocked myself lol.

Well, its official. Wine it is!!!!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh I do like a nice glass of wine! Or two...
    Now I'm a bit lighter it goes to my head faster and I can't drink as much...literally I'm a lightweight!
    Another thing is that I now like to run...I run a 5K parkrun most Saturdays at 9am and I get a Sunday run in early (usually out at 8). So that does tend to curb the drinking a bit as I would NOT recommend running with a hangover!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know the body wants to metabolize alcohol before anything else, thus, temporarily stopping the metabolizing of fats and carbs, but that doesn't stop me from wanting...ok...craving the red! I love a good rich red wine. Not the sweet stuff lol, but the bold. For those of you who feel the same, how do you curb your taste for wine lol. For the record, I'm no alcoholic, but I do know that my nightly wine does not help with weight loss. Have any of you had the same "issue" with wine?

On 90% of evenings, I will have at least one, and up to three, glasses of wine. On the nights when I do not drink wine, it's because I have consumed beer. And they are not mutually exclusive. I also occasionally enjoy a shot or two of whiskey or a nice single-malt Scotch. This in no way implies that I get vershnozzled every night, in fact I've only been drunk once in my life and it was not a pleasant experience - but I probably average 2 drinks a day every day.

And, guess what? It fits in my macros, and I'm losing weight just fine, including being able to maintain a 30-mile round trip ride on my hybrid bicycle in hilly terrain daily (my commute to work) when inclement weather doesn't hinder me. And my bloodwork comes back clean every time. Cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar - all fine. If I lived a more sedentary lifestyle, I might be more concerned about the impacts of alcohol on my system, but exercise compensates for a multitude of sins.

If you've experimented with giving it up and have found some benefit (or can't seem to lose and feel the need to try something), then by all means give it up for a while (or permanently if you like). Bu alcohol doesn't activate little magical fat-building daemons in your bloodstream or anything.

Drinking too much alcohol will make you fat. For one thing, it contains a good bit of sugar. It's also a depressant which will tend to make you not desire exercise if consumed in excess. So keep it to an average of a drink or two a day ("drink" = 12oz beer, 5oz wine, or 1oz hard stuff) and watch the calories and you'll be fine.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    agree, I love red wine. I have some at the weekend as a treat and make sure it is accounted for!
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Red wine is my downfall too. I give in a little too often to the cravings. BUT, I'm cutting myself off for two weeks starting August 1 to try and get rid of the cravings. I probably have a glass or two 3-4 times a week.
  • annbanan85
    annbanan85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I also can't give up my nightly glass or two of red -- it is a great motivator for me to hop on a treadmill to make sure I earn it! :)
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Um, have you seen my profile pic? I loooooooove wine! I just save a few calories to make sure I can enjoy my wine on the days that I want it. Hooray for antioxidants in wine, right?!?!?!? Cheers!
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hey..maybe you guys can help me. I went to a bbq that had a raspberry wine...it was soooo good. The person who had it told me the brand (which sorry I cant remember what that brand it was now). I couldnt find that brand at all so I am in need of another. Anyways, I am looking for a sweet raspberry wine...know of any???
  • jcrowfoot
    jcrowfoot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you!! Being a true wino myself...red wine and not the sweet stuff too! I know I slow down my weight loss but can't give up my wine, well, don't want to. But I do limit it to the weekends and make sure I "earn" it and believe me it's important! I do go over on my calories a lot on the weekends because of the wine but heck, can't give it all up!! :*)
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    A nice Cote's Du Rhone with grilled lamb,

Thats the wine in a glass and the lamb on a plate!

:drinker:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    We have a Wine Lovers Group on MFP. Anyone is welcome to join us!!!!

• HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey..maybe you guys can help me. I went to a bbq that had a raspberry wine...it was soooo good. The person who had it told me the brand (which sorry I cant remember what that brand it was now). I couldnt find that brand at all so I am in need of another. Anyways, I am looking for a sweet raspberry wine...know of any???

The only Raspberry wine I have ever had was Jewish Passover wine called Manishewitz (sp?) and I got sick off of it is was so sweet.

I agree - wine in moderation is actually good for you! During the summer I am addicted to Rose - so light and refreshing and only 79 calories for 4 oz! :happy:

Red wine is the best and I agree with everyone else that as long as it fits within your macros, enjoy a glass or two! My trick recently to cutting back (because prior it was very easy for me to have 3-4 glasses at a time, ugh!) is to SIP my wine and to enjoy it SLOWLY. This has helped! Last night I only had one glass and it tasted SO delicious and by the time I was done sipping I was very satisfied!

Have never seen the Skinnygirl wines or whatever they are called but 100 calories is a lot - normally, a 4 oz pour of wine is about 90 calories at most so why not buy the real/good stuff and log that instead? And adding Sprite Zero to your wine? Wow......no bueno to us winos!! LOL!