butter vs margarine?

Options
I want to move to a CLEAN / HEALTHY choice for the family. What do you use and why?
THANKS!! :smile:

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use butter. It's real and tasty.
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    margarine is full of chemicals, while butter is still not great for you it is a better option in moderation.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Butter all the way... never that processed margarine crap!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've made the switch to olive oil for most of my cooking.

When I need a solid fat, I prefer butter.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    butter :)
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Butter. It is what it is whereas margarine is not what it is... anymore...
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Butter - in moderation! I think margarine tastes bad and I'd rather use a little of something I truly enjoy the flavor of rather than substitute with something I dislike. When I do substitute, then I'm not satisfied and I'll eat something else to become satisfied - and end up overeating. This way, I use what I want, savor it and I'm done.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Butter! Cream has to be better for me than hydrogenated oil!! And now I'm reading "new studies" that butter may not be as bad for you as originally thought! To grease my pans for baked chicken, fish, etc I use Olive Oil cooking spray or coconut oil but for making my scrambled eggs and in the rare event I have a buttered roll with soup I use real butter. Grass-fed butter is a lil better for you but if it's not available at your food store (like me lol) then I heard organic is the next best thing...
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i honestly dont even know the difference in the taste because i dont eat it a lot. however butter is better for you than margarine anyways so id say butter with a fair amount of moderation. :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Butter and olive oil for this girl :) - A good rule of thumb is to remember the further away something is from how it could be hunted/gathered and straight forward prepared, the worse it is for you.

enjoy!
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm a butter girl... I'm a little wary of anything I can leave on my counter for weeks on end that doesn't go bad...
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    margarine is full of chemicals, while butter is still not great for you it is a better option in moderation.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Totally agree! I have used butter most of my life and it's WAY better for you. I honestly think all these chemicals are WHY we have so darn much cancer!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Butter tastes so much better!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    butter!
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil everywhere I can but when that isn't an option for the recipe I use butter.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    i dont know if this is bad or good, buti use the smart balance heart right light buttery spread!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    did you know that left in the woods a bear will not eat margarine? They don't see it as food. That is a great indicator of whether you should eat it or not! lol

Butter and olive oil only!!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    i dont know if this is bad or good, buti use the smart balance heart right light buttery spread!

they should call it Butterfail

Oh and to answer the question... Butter. I use the imported Icelandic butter (smör) . But it's a small part of my diet so eh
  • CStone17
    CStone17 Posts: 37
    Options
    Olive or grapeseed oil when possible. I don't really use butter at all because I can't eat most baked goods, but it is definitely better than margarine on the basis of ingredients alone.