Replies

• irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Butter!
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    Butter! Margerine is too processed for me. And it tastes gross. Though for cooking, I mostly use olive oil.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance soy free "margarine".

In a perfect world I would use butter. But since 4 out of the 5 people in our house cannot have dairy (me included), its not an option. Then we come to margarine which we can handle, and we do use sometimes, but it still has dairy in it and we use it as little as possible. So we were left with finding a vegan option so it would be dairy free, and Earth Balance it is. I don't really use it on anything except baked potatoes.
  • crazypao
    crazypao Posts: 1
    Options
    Butter and organic coconut oil for me.
    I used to use bacon drippings to fry things in (my eggs, or whatever) but can't stand the taste/saltiness of bacon anymore.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Butter & olive oil! I even use olive oil to spray down my pans (you can get fancy pump-sprayers from lots of places). Margarine is fake, and fake is always evil when you are trying to make clean & healthy your lifestyle. ;) You can easily make your own fresh butter with a blender or food processor. You can't make margarine without a factory. =P
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way... never that processed margarine crap!
    Bingo!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    did you know that left in the woods a bear will not eat margarine? They don't see it as food. That is a great indicator of whether you should eat it or not! lol

But racoons will.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    butter (you won't find margarine in my house) because I prefer the taste (and we don't use a lot to start with)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my family uses butter, but i don't like the taste, so i use brummel and brown for pancakes/veggies.

coconut oil for everything else though.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    in margarine there is one less ingredient than plastic how about you choose
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've made the switch to olive oil for most of my cooking.

When I need a solid fat, I prefer butter.

This.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Butter is beter is hands down better.

Fat and cholesterol is NOT bad for us.

Inflammation is.

Get educated.

I eat probably 1/2 a stick per day or more and all my heart and health risks have gone down considerably. I eat lots of fat.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I grew up with margarine so butter just doesn't taste right to me now.

So yeah, non-hydrogenated margarine. But I don't use that often, only when I have plain toast which is once in a blue moon. :)
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    F margerine! That crap will kill you. Butter is best baby - olive oil when appropriate...
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Butter. I only use it for spreading on things, though - for cooking eggs, etc., I use olive oil.

Even though I'm severely lactose intolerant, butter doesn't bother me. Of course I don't eat it by the stickful, but a pat or two, or the small amount that might go into a single pastry doesn't have any ill effect.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I want to move to a CLEAN / HEALTHY choice for the family. What do you use and why?
    THANKS!! :smile:

I use butter when baking, margarine in certain cooking circumstances, and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on my foods (i.e. toast, corn, etc) usually.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    Butter was made for frying bison steak with!
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    did you know that left in the woods a bear will not eat margarine? They don't see it as food. That is a great indicator of whether you should eat it or not! lol

Butter and olive oil only!!!!

Same with ants. You leave a container of margerine open outside and no bug will investigate. Give 'em butter, and they will lop it up.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I use a butter spread which is mostly real butter with a little oil in to keep it spreadable, I would never eat margarine, I have hears shocking thing about it. For cooking I use butter or olive oil, or if need be olive oil and sunflower oil blended (for higher temps)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I use I can't believe it's not butter light.....It will probably kill me....If it doesn't something else will.