Does it matter what i eat as long as i burn it off

Options
124»

Replies

• Terree83
    Terree83 Posts: 93
    Options
    I saw a great post by Jillian Michaels the other day. We all know that we have cravings, and sometimes it's hard to have will power! She said that a healthy way to lose weight and still satisfy your cravings is to follow the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of calorie intake for the day come from good, healthy foods that will give your body the nutrients it needs, and the other 20% can be from the things you crave. I've been following that for awhile now and have found that it works really well! I make sure to fit a few M&Ms in my diet because I know I'll go crazy if I don't! :)
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. If you are eating that stuff once a week, sure it's going to be hard to lose, but if you only at it once or twice a month, you hard work might go a little farther.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have no studies or links to back up my theories, only my own personal experience. I lost about 43lbs 4-5 years ago. I started out with the processed low cal meals to a healthy, clean diet. I found when I indulged in pizza, candy, or something unhealthy, it showed up on the scale on Wednesday. Pizza was always one that sabotaged the "loss" number.

That's not to say I never have pizza, or a little candy anymore, I do. But I keep it as an occasional indulgence, so I appreciate it more when it's a rare occasion.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a crap diet.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. If you are eating that stuff once a week, sure it's going to be hard to lose, but if you only at it once or twice a month, you hard work might go a little farther.

I guess that's the point someone was making earlier, that "moderation" is so relative. You're saying about eating certain foods once a week... but it's the kind of stuff some folk have every day... but because they're having it 'once' a day rather than 'all day' they think that's moderation when it's still excessive.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Saturday I had Bacon, Sunday was Healthy, Monday I had Mcdonalds and today I weighed in 2.9lbs down on the last 7 days.

I just eat under my calories, and I exercise till I am pooped on the treadmill and it works for me.

And.... the increased exercise is lowering my BP and cholesterol according to my doc so the "healthy" may depend on your definition of healthy

why is bacon on your list of bad?
    =(
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a crap diet.

This! ^^

From my own experience;

I recently cut out a lot of processed foods and all refined sugar from my diet because I just wasn't losing and even though I'm at a good weight and I exercise about 4x a week, I'm still a bit soft round the edges.

Two weeks later and there was a noticeable difference in how my body looks. I'm starting to look less puffy and more toned. & the scale started moving again! :)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Saturday I had Bacon, Sunday was Healthy, Monday I had Mcdonalds and today I weighed in 2.9lbs down on the last 7 days.

I just eat under my calories, and I exercise till I am pooped on the treadmill and it works for me.

And.... the increased exercise is lowering my BP and cholesterol according to my doc so the "healthy" may depend on your definition of healthy

why is bacon on your list of bad?
    =(

Bacon is on my middle ground list, it sure as hell isn't healthy, but it isn't bad either IMHO :bigsmile: