Free Birth Control Pill

Options
14567810»

Replies

• cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hmm, would I rather live in the UK where healthcare is slow but free, or live in a country with no free healthcare and get myself into life debt just by having an illness or having a baby? Let me think...................................

And I was on the pill for years to combat a hormone imbalance that made me very ill, so acting like I'm a slut just makes you an ignorant *kitten*.

I'd rather live in a country where it's fast and I get myself into debt. It's what I did. I have juvenile diabetes. I have to pay for insulin. I lived for years without health insurance and went into debt because of it. However, I never had to wait to get the health care I needed. Waiting can be much worse than paying.

Taking the pill doesn't make you a slut. Assuming that that is the argument against free birth control is narrow-minded. Why should you get birth control for free simply because you need it, but a diabetic can't get insulin for free and a cancer patient can't get chemo for free? Those are the real questions.

A diabetic should get insulin, a cancer patient should get chemo and women should get birth control. No one should go into hock over medical care. It simply shouldn't be that way. Also, did you miss the part of the "slow" argument where she walked in for an appointment? Yeah, that's not particularly slow...especially when you consider the waiting times at ERs and free clinics.

No, nothing should be free. Why should people who go to school and learn chemistry and figure out a medication to save lives not be paid for their work? Why should doctors not be paid for their work? Oh yes, the government will pay... Great, the government pays its employees so well, everyone will want to work for it.

It's simple. We all have problems. Some of us need medications. Pay for what you need.

Birth control, unless it's medically necessary (and rarely is) is a choice. You should certainly pay for your choices.

Medical care is medical care. Yes, doctors, nurses and other health-care professionals should make a nice living, and they do in most of the world. It is however, a lot less of a nice living over the past few decades as insurance has decided to pay less and less for services. And the government does pay its employees rather well in most arenas, so I'm lost on your problem there. It works in every other civilized nation in the world.

Here's the thing: people who get cancer, are born with diabetes, have to have their skulls opened every year, break their spines or get aggressive bacterial infections...are not choosing to have those problems. By implying that they are, somehow, and that as a result, they should have to pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars (which, as sick folks, they may well not have), or shouldn't get care is inhumane and inexcusable. There's no way around that.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Medical care is medical care. Yes, doctors, nurses and other health-care professionals should make a nice living, and they do in most of the world. It is however, a lot less of a nice living over the past few decades as insurance has decided to pay less and less for services. And the government does pay its employees rather well in most arenas, so I'm lost on your problem there. It works in every other civilized nation in the world.

Here's the thing: people who get cancer, are born with diabetes, have to have their skulls opened every year, break their spines or get aggressive bacterial infections...are not choosing to have those problems. By implying that they are, somehow, and that as a result, they should have to pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars (which, as sick folks, they may well not have), or shouldn't get care is inhumane and inexcusable. There's no way around that.

I think people spend too much time focusing on how much they hate people who are just simply less fortunate. A lot of people seem to think poor people just want to sit on their *kitten* and mooch off the government for freebies. Someone on welfare is not sitting at home relaxing in their hot tub all day. People who live off of government assistant are struggling. Even if they choose to not work for whatever reason, it still isn't that comfortable of a life to live.

Personally, I wouldn't even mind paying 50% taxes if that money was going towards more public services. I'm already paying 33% but at the same time I feel totally ripped off because the money doesn't go where it needs to be. There's no reason someone should go into debt because they are sick. Just like there's no reason a person shouldn't be able to afford to go to school. I lucked out and my parents could afford my schooling but I also understand that not everyone is well off and some people do struggle.

Part of living in a civilized society is taking good care of your rich and poor. After all, we need people who are able to do every kind of job function. A person making minimum wage, for example, shouldn't be labeled as a bum. They shouldn't be told "oh if you want better healthcare just go to school and get a real job!" Even if everyone went to college and got "real jobs" we would still have the same problems. There are only so many high paying jobs to go around anyway.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think people spend too much time focusing on how much they hate people who are just simply less fortunate. A lot of people seem to think poor people just want to sit on their *kitten* and mooch off the government for freebies. Someone on welfare is not sitting at home relaxing in their hot tub all day. People who live off of government assistant are struggling. Even if they choose to not work for whatever reason, it still isn't that a life to live.

Personally, I wouldn't even mind paying 50% taxes if that money was going towards more public services. I'm already paying 33% but at the same time I feel totally ripped off because the money doesn't go where it needs to be. There's no reason someone should go into debt because they are sick. Just like there's no reason a person shouldn't be able to afford to go to school. I lucked out and my parents could afford my schooling but I also understand that not everyone is well off and some people do struggle.

Part of living in a civilized society is taking good care of your rich and poor. After all, we need people who are able to do every kind of job function. A person making minimum wage, for example, shouldn't be labeled as a bum. They shouldn't be told "oh if you want better healthcare just go to school and get a real job!" Even if everyone went to college and got "real jobs" we would still have the same problems. There are only so many high paying jobs to go around anyway.
    [/quote]

Great post.