Anyone else do Tabata protocol?

Options
2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wish I had easy access to a spin bike. I could go to the gym on campus, but it seems absurd to go for a 14 minute workout. Plus, I don't know that I want to puke in front of an entire gym full of people. I have a road bike and a trainer, but no room to set it up in my new place. At least no place to set it up and leave it up. Right now it has to stay in the storage space. Jump rope or burpees will have to do for now. Burpees are a full body exercise, which I've heard is ideal for tabata, and I definitely felt like I worked out after doing those.

Burpees are the devil!

I don't know that full body is the way to go for tabata, simply because the idea of tabata is to bring one specific muscle group to failure HARD and fast, that might be harder with burpees as you're distributing the workload throughout the body and it takes a while to really get to failure (at least for me) with a burpee. Remember, the idea of tabata is to bring your body to the anaerobic threshold fast and keep it there for about 20 seconds or until you can't any more, not sure a burpee would do that.

That said, I DO use burpees (or a similar move to burpees, it's a compound squat, pushup, leg thrust, stand just like a burpee, but I use dumbells and do a shoulder press at the end and after the stand portion I do a bent over row, it's great by the way, it's REALLY a full body move) as part of my hiit training, but not as part of the fatigue portion, I do it as my active recovery portion (I.E. when I'm recovering from a really hard cardio portion). As an aside, I've toyed with this compound move in the past, and realized if I REALLY wanted to make it full body, you could add tricep extensions to the end of the row then a bicep curl instead of just bringing them up in an olympic lift (they're too light to make an olympic lift useful) to the resting shoulder position.