Military Question.....

Options

Replies

• gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    In the Army you are first and foremost a ground pounding soldier, and you will be moving every 3 yrs. Rank comes as fast as it goes, depending on you and how you perform your duties. My high school buddy made E-9 in 17 yrs, very unheard of, but he was full blown grunt. Anyone reading this that was Army probably knows or heard of Command Seargent Major Walter Rakow.

In the Navy you WILL be on a ship at some point going who knows where. The promotions come slower but are pretty much permanent unless you really screw up. There are more opportunities in the Navy to get civilian related carreers.

I was Air Force, and they are pretty much like the Navy without the ship. Great career options, better facilities, treated more like a person than a machine.

If you join, thanks for serving in advance.
  • dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    For an actual opinion: I'm currently in the air force, but not medical. But from what I've seen, enlisted medical usually works on the assistance side of things. And if you do AIR FORCE (yes i'm biased whutuffit), you will be not be scrubbing or cleaning any toilets :)
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    24 years Air Force...I willl leave you with this.

The Army is concenred about its equipment
    The Navy is concenred about its ships
    The Air Force is concenred about its people

So you know where the money in these organizations go!

Army will have the best equipment bar none!
    Navy has 1950's sytle facilities becasue they have the best ships!
    Air Force has the newest facilities and some of the best housing!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My uncle is a retired Navy SEAL. The vast majority of the rest of the family has always been USAF. I was the idiot who tried a different path and went Army (91B). Totally regret not going USAF.

That being the case, I vote Navy...or USAF.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    All branches have their benefits, remember that some recruiters will tell you anything to get you to sign up. getting advice from former service members is best. I was Army and it was fine. I think in terms of better living arrangements, Air Force.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    GOOOOO AIR FORCE!

Best answer.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    GOOOOO AIR FORCE!

this! In the process of enlisting. At 26, better late than never right?

This.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi beautiful, I am prior Army and my brother is prior Navy. You'll get treated the way you decide to carry yourself and your level of professionalism. It comes down to facilities, promotion potential, and travel. So research the promotion potential for enlisted soldiers in both branches, look at how many points it takes to get to the next rank. The next question is, how mobile do you want to be? With Army, you might stay in one place anywhere from 1-3 years and only go on short duty trips for training or mission related events. With the Navy, you'll go out at month or two at a time and get to see the world. It would take years in the Army what you would see in 1 or 2 years with the Navy.

If you have kids, I would go for Army.

^^Good advice
    Thanks in advance for your service.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    24 years in Regular Army and National Guard ..... both are good paths....
    Army is more relaxed, Navy probably treats you a little better..... both may end up crawling thru the mud etc....

Army training is inSan Antonio at Ft. Sam which is a great location....
    Get to know some folks who have done the medical gig and get a "feel" for what it is like. Both branches will run down the other guys, but ask them what life is like for them......

Also look into whre you could be posted... very different locations

Good luck

:smile:
  • this14now
    this14now Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am an Air Force Medic! As we speak I am sitting here at my desk in my ABU's typing this message to you telling you that if you can get picked up by the Air Force you will be a smart and lucky gal! We are treated the best even on deployments. Ask any of these Army guys if they want to be truthful are dorms are usually better. Although you do gain rank quicker in the Navy as I have family that is Navy. I will just be proud to call you a sister in whichever branch you choose or which chooses you during this economic strain! Good luck in your future!
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    Hi beautiful, I am prior Army and my brother is prior Navy. You'll get treated the way you decide to carry yourself and your level of professionalism. It comes down to facilities, promotion potential, and travel. So research the promotion potential for enlisted soldiers in both branches, look at how many points it takes to get to the next rank. The next question is, how mobile do you want to be? With Army, you might stay in one place anywhere from 1-3 years and only go on short duty trips for training or mission related events. With the Navy, you'll go out at month or two at a time and get to see the world. It would take years in the Army what you would see in 1 or 2 years with the Navy.

If you have kids, I would go for Army.
    Hi handsome!
    No kids, single and 23. I would looove to travel. I'm not going Officer only because I have a federal job. And I'm not lazy but if I wanted to go to college, I would've done it 5 years ago. ;)
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In the Army you are first and foremost a ground pounding soldier, and you will be moving every 3 yrs. Rank comes as fast as it goes, depending on you and how you perform your duties. My high school buddy made E-9 in 17 yrs, very unheard of, but he was full blown grunt. Anyone reading this that was Army probably knows or heard of Command Seargent Major Walter Rakow.

In the Navy you WILL be on a ship at some point going who knows where. The promotions come slower but are pretty much permanent unless you really screw up. There are more opportunities in the Navy to get civilian related carreers.

I was Air Force, and they are pretty much like the Navy without the ship. Great career options, better facilities, treated more like a person than a machine.

If you join, thanks for serving in advance.

You are not quite correct in your statement. Being Navy does NOT mean you WILL be on a ship. I was 8 years Navy and never went to sea. I was shore bound the entire time.
  • kayevancil
    kayevancil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not the case. Unless you were in a branch, you don't know what it is concerned about. I am in the Army and have always been very well taken care of. Get over the stereotypes. You were in the Air Force...cool, great, fantastic. But don't go telling me my branch doesn't give a **** about its soldiers. Speak for your branch and your experience only, please.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm prior service Air Force and was a Cardiopulmonary Technician/Journeyman whatever they are calling it these days. LOL
    I LOVED it! I have friends in all branches and have been told by far, that the AF treats it's people the best. If you want to choose between the Army and the Navy for medical, I would go Navy. My old, civilian boss was medical in the Navy and he spoke highly of it.

Whatever you choose, go you! You should be proud no matter what. =)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    My family has ties with Army, Navy and Air Force....If I could go back to the years when I would've enlisted, I'd probably go Air Force.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    I am an Air Force Medic! As we speak I am sitting here at my desk in my ABU's typing this message to you telling you that if you can get picked up by the Air Force you will be a smart and lucky gal! We are treated the best even on deployments. Ask any of these Army guys if they want to be truthful are dorms are usually better. Although you do gain rank quicker in the Navy as I have family that is Navy. I will just be proud to call you a sister in whichever branch you choose or which chooses you during this economic strain! Good luck in your future!

Thank You! I have friends in the AF, and one is a RAVEN. To be totally honest, I've never been interested in the AF. Yes it's an option, but I don't think it's for me. I appreciate everything you do. A medic is a medic, no matter what branch. Everyone serves
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the Army under Medical and I love everything about it. If you are going to be enlisted I would definitely compare the Navy and Army promotion regulations. I know the Army goes by points. Medical and Dental happen to be overstaffed so you almost need to max out in every category (Army education, Civilian Education, PT, Awards,ect.) to get promoted. Good Luck!
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Speaking from Air Force experience, I say Navy. From my perspective, your quality of living will be much higher.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Not the case. Unless you were in a branch, you don't know what it is concerned about. I am in the Army and have always been very well taken care of. Get over the stereotypes. You were in the Air Force...cool, great, fantastic. But don't go telling me my branch doesn't give a **** about its soldiers. Speak for your branch and your experience only, please.

This.

I'm medical, in the Army. feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions! :-)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Two very different life styles. Honestly. I am prior Army - loved every moment of it. However, I will say that if the rumors are true, the Navy treats their people better. I would talk to both recruiters before deciding, as well as people from both branches with actual experience in that field. (Was Finance, so can't speak for the Army medics.)

Consider going Nurse Corps?

Good plan. I just got out of the Army as a Combat Medic. Did more sitting at a desk clerical work than hospital work in Garrison. I wanted to go EMT-I and they were difficult about sending me to the 6 week class because they didn't want to replace me at my desk. My particular unit was only interested in making sure I had the bare minimum to keep me qualified. Sad part about that? It's a hospital unit. If you get the chance and are willing to do some time, go Nurse and become an officer for sure. Oh and try your damndest to stay away from Ft Campbell KY!