Military Question.....

Options

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I am an Army Combat Medic. You will not like being an OR tech. The pamphlets and the recruiters make it look so good. You will end up cleaning for the majority of your work day. Check out the OCS and PA programs(IPAP). You should set your sights on being a Medical Officer. If someone would have directed me, that is where I would be now, but I will still get there.

^^^^ This... My husband is prior service Army. I was considering going back to school for medicine. The two places/programs he recommended were USHUS or IPAP and he suggested Navy over Army.

Make sure that whichever route you take, that the credentials that you get are valid in the civilian world when you get out. There are certain things you can do in the military that you can't do in the civilian world. I'm an EMT. My husband is not, yet while he was in, he would've been able / authorized to administer a chest tube whereas I would have not have been.

Being an unemployed veteran SUCKS if your MOS doesn't line up with a "normal" job when you get out, regardless of the branch.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Navy. My husband had the time of his life and retired from the Navy after 30 years of service. Upon retiring, he easily found a job that utilized the skills he'd acquired in the military, so it was a smooth transition for him.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I am an Air Force Medic! As we speak I am sitting here at my desk in my ABU's typing this message to you telling you that if you can get picked up by the Air Force you will be a smart and lucky gal! We are treated the best even on deployments. Ask any of these Army guys if they want to be truthful are dorms are usually better. Although you do gain rank quicker in the Navy as I have family that is Navy. I will just be proud to call you a sister in whichever branch you choose or which chooses you during this economic strain! Good luck in your future!

I'm feeling a little woozy...I think I may need your services....
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I served in the Air Force during Desert Shield/Storm, but prior to my decision I narrowed it down between the Navy and Air Force. In my opinion, they have the better training schools. Other family members were in the Army and were always jelious because the Ari Force treated there people better not to mention the facilities were newer and nicer.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    You need to decide what exactly your goal is. Do you plan on making a career out of your service? Or are you looking for experience?

ALL SERVICES HAVE THEIR GRIPES! All service members have their complaints about the service, however, the reality is that particular unit or supervisor. The best thing you can do is visit/call and talk to junior, mid-level, and senior members in both the enlisted and officer corp. You will get a broad range of opinions. Remember, recruiters are there to "recruit". They may have never been around the career field you want.

There are five services, and I have not seen any posts referencing the Coast Guard - "The Forgotten Fifth".

Here are some generalizations of the services:

Coast Guard - Decent advancement rate, no PT or PT test, only approximately 50k people, overseas is Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, Bahamas (For the most part), education extremely supported, nexxus to civilian jobs, no bases so live on the economy in a place you choose

Air Force - Traditionally allocated the most money, quality of living best for DOD, not as strict as other services, VERY slow advancement and even slower in some career fields, world wide locations

Army - Hit or miss with career field selection, some jobs are great while others are not, split between combat and non-combat MOS's (everyone is a soldier however you will not find the dental tech on the front line with the grunts), training is narrow to your scope of work, world wide transfer, PT standards second to Marines.

Navy - Hit or miss with career field, deployments, deployments, deployments! (usually months long and up to 12 months, ships usually have 50 man berthing which means you are sharing a large room with at least 49 other people, get to travel the world and the shortest time

Marines - Everyone is a Marine first! Strictest of the militaries, training to excellence is a guaranteed, deployments with both Marines and Navy, strictest PT and PT Test (love the green shorts),

Also, all services are going through a draw down right so it will be tougher to get into any of them. Explore both enlisted and officer availability. If short term (no career), I would look at enlisted because they do the hands on work (mostly), if career minded consider officer because they are the managers and get paid more which translates to higher retirement pay.

Remember, some jobs are limited due their scope. So, their may be a job that has training in something you would want to pursue but the military won't pay for it or allow you because it is considered not relevant to your career field.

I have been in 3 services with 4 different career fields and currently work with ALL services.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    No kids, single and 23. I would looove to travel. I'm not going Officer only because I have a federal job. And I'm not lazy but if I wanted to go to college, I would've done it 5 years ago. ;)

If you want to travel, do you mean see the world? Then your best bet is Navy. You will most likely see much more of the world than the army.

Also if you want to make a career out of the military you will need college. We are in a downsizing force and promotions are harder to come by without it.

My advice is to not shoot for the minimum on the standards. Whether its high weight, PT, or anything for that matter. Start off before you go shooting for the max, and will be that much less worrisome when you get there.

I have 4 years AD army and 4 in the reserves, the choice is your to make. I have brother in the air force, friends in the marines and navy. And no matter what people say, your experience in whatever it is you choose to do will be your own. We all BS about saying we should have joined this branch cause it better here, or that one cause its better there. But no matter your job or branch you will have to deal with BS, people you don't like, people that don't like you, and meet great friends along the way

best of luck
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My husband is ex-Navy nuke. His best friend is ex-Navy nuke turned Navy nurse. He loves it. GO NAVY! :wink:
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    I am an Air Force Medic! As we speak I am sitting here at my desk in my ABU's typing this message to you telling you that if you can get picked up by the Air Force you will be a smart and lucky gal! We are treated the best even on deployments. Ask any of these Army guys if they want to be truthful are dorms are usually better. Although you do gain rank quicker in the Navy as I have family that is Navy. I will just be proud to call you a sister in whichever branch you choose or which chooses you during this economic strain! Good luck in your future!

Thank You! I have friends in the AF, and one is a RAVEN. To be totally honest, I've never been interested in the AF. Yes it's an option, but I don't think it's for me. I appreciate everything you do. A medic is a medic, no matter what branch. Everyone serves

A medic is a medic, no matter what branch. - Not true. The larger the service the different types of "medics" there are. Don't select one that doesn't put you where you want to be. For example, you can be a pharmacist tech, medical admin, combat medic, etc. All different, but referred to as "medic".
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    No kids, single and 23. I would looove to travel. I'm not going Officer only because I have a federal job. And I'm not lazy but if I wanted to go to college, I would've done it 5 years ago. ;)

If you want to travel, do you mean see the world? Then your best bet is Navy. You will most likely see much more of the world than the army.

My advice is to not shoot for the minimum on the standards. Whether its high weight, PT, or anything for that matter. Start off before you go shooting for the max, and will be that much less worrisome when you get there.

I have 4 years AD army and 4 in the reserves, the choice is your to make. I have brother in the air force, friends in the marines and navy. And no matter what people say, your experience in whatever it is you choose to do will be your own. We all BS about saying we should have joined this branch cause it better here, or that one cause its better there. But no matter your job or branch you will have to deal with BS, people you don't like, people that don't like you, and meet great friends along the way

best of luck

I've never shot for the minimum, but I have a plan, a goal rather. Enlist active duty and eventully go and become an Officer. But for the current moment I want to get in and start my career and work my way up with OFC.
    Thanks!
  • helencita13
    helencita13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    GOOOOO AIR FORCE!

^^ this!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

best of luck

I've never shot for the minimum, but I have a plan, a goal rather. Enlist active duty and eventully go and become an Officer. But for the current moment I want to get in and start my career and work my way up with OFC.
    Thanks!

Whatever you do, make sure you go and kill that ASVAB test. If you've taken it already, see if you there is a way that you can retake to maxamize your scores. This will ensure that you get the widest selection of Occupational Specialties available. Right now you are thinking you want Medical type stuff, but once you go in and see some of the other career paths or perhaps decide that promotions are too hard to come by for your particular MOS you may want to reclassify to a different lane. The higher the scores, the easier your promotion path for those given positions...really think hard about Military Intelligence...you won't regret the dividends that this type of specialty will give you.
  • MustangGunner
    Options
    That is a difficult question....I have been in the Navy for 15 years but I have spent the majority of my time with Marine and SOF units, and we loved our DOCS. There were a bread apart from normal Corpsmen. If I were you, the Navy would be a great option, and if you would like to get the field experience, ensure you get Fleet Marine Force (FMF) course in your contract. You will enjoy yourself, and you will stay in-shape.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    FMF is what I was aiming towards......
  • keithgetlean
    Options
    I am in the Army right now and I would still say either Airforce #1 or Navy as #2.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is it worth joining the military just to travel? Serious question.
  • jppd47
    Options

Thats up to you.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Thats up to you.

Sure, but it seems to me that if you join the armed forces, it's fundamentally a job. Sure you can end up in a nice place (and I hear that the Air Force are in 150 countries) but you're limited to the amount of time and the location of where you can travel. You're also making an up to 8 year obligation to stay with the armed forces. It would seem a better idea if someone wanted to travel would be to work for a year or two then travel until they'd maxed out their budget.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options

Obviously you didn't read the whole post! I'm from a MILITARY FAMILY. And DO NOT want to take out college loans at the moment. I want to serve my country because I love where I'm from. Next time read all of it. Thanks
  • jppd47
    Options

Thats up to you.

Sure, but it seems to me that if you join the armed forces, it's fundamentally a job. Sure you can end up in a nice place (and I hear that the Air Force are in 150 countries) but you're limited to the amount of time and the location of where you can travel. You're also making an up to 8 year obligation to stay with the armed forces. It would seem a better idea if someone wanted to travel would be to work for a year or two then travel until they'd maxed out their budget.

So there you go, you just answered your own question for yourself
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not true... my husband was a Navy FMF Corpsman for 12 years and was attached to a Marine Unit. Marines are the tip of the sword, remember? He was right there with them so don't assume all Navy are out of harms way.