SO WHAT if I am bragging!!!!

Options

Replies

• reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    I get it. And I'm going to keep on bragging - so you should too. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I generally don't care what people think about me. If they don't like my lifestyle, it's their problem, not mine. It's harder when it's family though. Just keep improving yourself for you and let the MIL be jealous. :laugh:
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    If you're talking about people in your real life getting tired of you droning on about your weight loss, then you need to stop talking about it. You're being rude.

Absolutely NOT... In my opinion we all have the right to praise ourselves up. This is a section for motivation and support... if you don't have anything to add that is MOTIVATING and SUPPORTIVE...WHY would you post here? :huh:

Truth is, there are plenty of people that don't want or need to hear about it. I am so happy for everyone's weight loss on here, and I love to hear about their progress. I love the fact that I can share it here as well. Truth is though, not many people who aren't doing the same thing want to hear about it. I don't know all their reasons, but when they aren't doing this, breaking that plateau, or picking up a heavier weight, or dropping that last pound to your next mini-goal isn't so exciting. If they don't want to hear about it, they really shouldn't have to listen about it. Post that stuff here where people are genuinely excited about it an understand.

I agree, I am a more private person, so even though I am also trying to do this, I don't like talking to people about it. Some people don't realize that and it makes it annoying to talk to them when they constantly want praise from me. If I don't seem thrilled about anything, then please drop it. I have a few people who I am comfortable talking about my eating and exercising with, and I mainly just talk to them.

I'd say find a few friends who are comfortable talking about it with you and stick to them. If your Mother in Law is uncomfortable with it, don't force it on her.

Congratulations on all that you have done though.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Most MIL are going to pick at you no matter what. If you weren't trying to lose the weight then she might be giving you a hard time for being overweight. Just ignore her and keep at it.
    Sorry to those of you with a-hole mother in laws....but thank you for reminding me that I hit the JACKPOT with mine....who wouldn't dare say a negative word to me. She's always complimenting my weight loss, and tells me all the time how "happy" and "lucky" she is that I married her son. I think I'll bring her some flowers when I see her next time!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have two rules when it comes to talking about yourself.

1. If it has nothing to add to the conversation, then you're bragging.
    2. If you're throwing numbers/qualifiers in there to compare/compete against someone else, you're bragging.
    2a. If the other person is wanting to compete, then GAME ON.

That being said, it's perfectly okay to brag if you're proud of yourself for your accomplishments. If I win a few medals or a new sword at the highland games or get a bumper crop of tomatoes, then I want to share that with people. But I won't try to wedge it into unrelated conversations. Same with my weight loss - some people are actively interested (like MFP), and some people aren't. So, I may bait the hook once, like saying "I've got a competition" when someone asks what I'm doing this weekend, or if someone comments on me looking thinner, mention what I'm doing. Then if they ask more, then I say more.

That being said - my MIL is about halfway in between - she likes the fact I'm losing weight, but also says that since I've got "a lot more muscle", I shouldn't worry too much about being big. She's supportive without being preachy and uninformed.

She's not a flower person - all I need to do is to "bring her grandbaby" and she's happy! :laugh:
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm sure losing weight is exciting for you and you're proud of yourself... but no one else cares. Not nearly as much as you do anyway. I'm sure they're proud and happy for you but you need to learn when to shut up about it. NOBODY likes that real life person who goes on and on about their diet.

Maybe you should focus that here. People here care more than average real life Joe because they're on the same journey. This is the place for all that, nit the dinner table.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have had so many people tell me that i don't need to lose any more weight. most of them weigh between 20 -40 pounds LESS than me. what's up with that? I look different than my 250 pound self, and it freaks them out i think. but i am not done, i am still overweight. i am not aiming for a size 2, but you would think that i was borderline anorexic the way people are reacting.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Keep working YOUR program! I totally get that it’s hard when people don’t understand your motivation or that you SOMETIMES need to be motivated! Just keep a smile on your face and say “thanks...but I’m full”.
    I get a lot of...You sure don’t eat much...what a waste. OH well...I pay for what I eat or more often don’t eat...so get over it!

Keep up the great work!
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    you deserve to brag!!!! If people don't like it they can just go away! lol. Everyone works hard for their weight loss and people should understand you want to show it off! If want someone to support you and that you can brag to , add me, I make a good friend! Congratulations on your weight loss!!!!!!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    F' Em and keep on keepin on. I have been told I am obsessed with it. I think part of it is if I am not thinking or saying something about working out or eating better, i will slip back to the old ways. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!.

Proud of you and Brag all you like!
  • Brigskis
    Brigskis Posts: 3
    Options
    Yeah I feel you. It takes a LOT of willpower for me to be making better decisions, I have always really struggled with the motivation to TRY. (Really, I think that's the hardest part of losing weight if you ask me.) This past weekend a friend looked at me and said, "Have you been losing weight??" to which I replied, "well I hope so." And she replied, "why?? You look great why do you need to do that??" and gave me this whole speech about how I look great and she wishes she could look like I do. As much as that was flattering - really? I'm overweight based on any medical standard you look at. And as I told her, I gained 15 pounds after I got married two years ago, and it isn't fair to my husband or myself.

I don't get why people try to DISCOURAGE weight loss when clearly its a good idea... and all of this coming from a girl who works out like two hours a day and is doing the Fat Flush Plan. I would think she would understand!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    OK, so, I guess BRAGGING is the wrong word. A lot of this that I am talking about is when it is in conversation, that THEY usually bring up...or when I try to say, "NO THANK YOU" to foods and they look at me like I am from another world or something. If they ask, I tell them...I mainly talk about it to people who I know care but, there are those few who ask and then when i tell them, they kinda get all bent out of shape. OR, people ask me to do something (small...like talking on the phone, nothing major) and I say I cant because I NEED to get my walk in or something. Just things like that is what I am talking about.

Yes, i know what it is like for others to make progress and you WISHING you could just DO IT!! WELL, I am done WISHING and I am DOING IT!! If you dont like my posts on FB, dont reply or read...If you dont want to hear my opinion about what I do and what works for me, DONT ASK.

I dont push the issue with people, nor do I make it a big deal in my life.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite, I don't like talking about it and yet people keep bringing up the topic. I change it as quickly as I can, but I feel as if this journey of mine is private. Don't you wish people could just keep their comments to themselves??

Keep up the good work. You look great!!!

I'm more like you, though it's kind a mix. I've got a very few key friends that I'll talk to about this because I know for sure they aren't going to judge or critic, or are doing something similar. But for the most part I don't tell people all that much. I've been overweight nearly my whole life, and part of that is emotional/psychological, and I need to keep my mindset in a certain way (doing something good for myself, getting stronger) and have to resist a lot of mental habits to keep it there.

I absolutely hate "food police" and whenever someone starts trying to tell me what to eat (unless I've specifically asked them or paid them to) it just makes me want to do the opposite. If you tell someone you are trying to get fitter /healthier /lose weight, everyone has some advice, and most of it seems to involve following someones specific miracle short term diet plan, ugh, or some exercise plan that would be way more than I can do right now. I'm trying to make a life style change gradually, my own way, and so far it's working.

Lucky I know so many people with special dietary needs (and some that are just picky) that no one pushes too much if I don't want to eat something.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    F' Em and keep on keepin on. I have been told I am obsessed with it. I think part of it is if I am not thinking or saying something about working out or eating better, i will slip back to the old ways. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!.

Proud of you and Brag all you like!

I think this is my big thing. If I dont keep it front and foremost in my brain, I take too many steps back and have to push forward harder again. I need to make it a big part of my life for awhile so i can get to where I want and to where I feel comfortable. My Heaviest was when I was preggers and I reFUSE to be that big at my next pregnancy if I can help it! HEALTHY is what I want to be so I WILL BE!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You start off the thread saying very clearly that you are always talking and bragging about your weight loss and people get tired of hearing about it. Then you completely change the story and say that you don't make a big deal out of it and you aren't bragging. How is anyone supposed to respond to that? If you can't say what you mean then there's no point in posting a thread.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Yeah I feel you. It takes a LOT of willpower for me to be making better decisions, I have always really struggled with the motivation to TRY. (Really, I think that's the hardest part of losing weight if you ask me.) This past weekend a friend looked at me and said, "Have you been losing weight??" to which I replied, "well I hope so." And she replied, "why?? You look great why do you need to do that??" and gave me this whole speech about how I look great and she wishes she could look like I do. As much as that was flattering - really? I'm overweight based on any medical standard you look at. And as I told her, I gained 15 pounds after I got married two years ago, and it isn't fair to my husband or myself.

I don't get why people try to DISCOURAGE weight loss when clearly its a good idea... and all of this coming from a girl who works out like two hours a day and is doing the Fat Flush Plan. I would think she would understand!

It comes down to people not knowing what it is like to live in OUR skin. We know what we feel comfortable at and, as long as it isnt unhealthy then let us do it and encourage us. I have sugar issues so everyone knows I WILL NOT force myself into an eating disorder and that this healthy living should HELP that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about people in your real life getting tired of you droning on about your weight loss, then you need to stop talking about it. You're being rude.
    Absolutely NOT... In my opinion we all have the right to praise ourselves up. This is a section for motivation and support... if you don't have anything to add that is MOTIVATING and SUPPORTIVE...WHY would you post here? :huh:
    Why would I post here? Because she needs a reality check. I'm not going to blindly say "ooh you're so awesome and everyone in your life is wrong!"
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Mommakit79... You are sooo awesome, and everyone in your life is WRONG so I'm super glad that you have MFP to get the MOTIVATION and SUPPORT you need to keep on keeping on! You deserve to be chuffed, you deserve to say "No MIL I'm working on a better me I don't want your desserts, but thanks anyway!" You deserve to be proud and happy about your success! We all do!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    (clapping) Amen sista!!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    You start off the thread saying very clearly that you are always talking and bragging about your weight loss and people get tired of hearing about it. Then you completely change the story and say that you don't make a big deal out of it and you aren't bragging. How is anyone supposed to respond to that? If you can't say what you mean then there's no point in posting a thread.

I never said I am ALWAYS talking and bragging about it but, I make it a point to let people know what I am doing.

Ya know, my mother always taught me, "If you cant say anything nice, dont say it at all!" You dont even know me and you are all up in my grill about something that was said and taking out of context (on my part as well...maybe I shouldnt have used the word BRAG).

I AM DONE NOW....saying a prayer and moving forward!!