Fashion Faux Pas - Personal preferences

Options
Merithyn
Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
I realize that I am not a fashion genius, and I'm pretty okay with this. I prefer classic clothing (of the old Van Halen t-shirts and worn-in jeans variety, not the NYC Clothing variety) over trendy. That being said, I've noticed that I have some serious biases against certain groupings of clothes/colors. Let me explain.

Today I saw a woman wearing a brown shirt with black dress pants, and I cringed. In my mind, one does not wear black and brown together like that, anymore than one wears navy and black or navy and brown. It just shouldn't be done. Now, I say this even though I've seen some very well-put together outfits that mix and match those colors very well. It just doesn't look right to me. (Honestly, when I see navy and black together, I immediately think, "Oh! He looks like a bruise!") Neutrals - especially dark neutrals - do not go together. Same goes for whites and creams, though I am more likely to make allowances for that depending on how it's worn.

Oh, and I would never wear a green top with brown bottoms. Ever. That, to me, looks like a reasonable facsimile of a tree. If I see someone else wearing it, I giggle every single time.

I realize that these are my own weird fashion perspectives, and I own that. I recognize that sometimes those rules can and should be broken, but I also recognize that I will likely never do it.

So what are the odd things that you know are pretty much okay in society, but that you would never wear or do?

Replies

• Merithyn
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Brown top with black bottoms seems nun-ish to me lol!!! Not a fan of navy with black either!

My faux pas pet peeve is denim on denim...like jean pants and a jean jacket worn together lol....I don't know why I just think it looks like denim overkill!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    You know what is hilarious?! The bar along side this post came up with an ad with a woman wearing blue and black together :laugh:
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Brown top with black bottoms seems nun-ish to me lol!!! Not a fan of navy with black either!

My faux pas pet peeve is denim on denim...like jean pants and a jean jacket worn together lol....I don't know why I just think it looks like denim overkill!

My daughter calls that a Canadian Tuxedo, which tends to irritate my husband, a born and bred Canuck. :laugh:
  • Merithyn
    Options
    You know what is hilarious?! The bar along side this post came up with an ad with a woman wearing blue and black together :laugh:

DID SHE LOOK LIKE A BRUISE?????
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree on Navy with brown.. because that can look very chic. A Navy dress with brown boots or brogues and a brown leather handbag? Feel free to chuck on a leather jacket too, and it could well look awesome.

Green and red doesn't pair well together.. I practically live in my skin tight red jeans, and they look awesome.. apart from with anything green. Just no, I feel like christmas.

Grey tights. I hate grey tights.

And double denim - NO! cringe.

All black isn't a good look, unless you're wearing a suit or you're a waiter. Nothing against goths - wear your dark colours, but throw in a pop of colour. Like red. That's bloody and gothic too, right? :bigsmile:
  • Merithyn
    Options
    I admit that I wear a lot of red and green together. I'm a December baby, so they're my favorite color combination. :blushing:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    neon f***ing jeans!!????!!! I DO NOT WANNA WEAR BRIGHT GREEN JEANS! They make me really upset.

Not that I am against colored denim. I had a dark green pair that were lovely, and I have seen dark red that are pretty but come on ladies. Please for the love of god stop buying neon yellow, green and pink and orange jeans and maybe this trend will go away.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Any pants or jeans other than the neutral colors brown, blue, navy & black. First I find bright colored pants/jeans very difficult to pair with outfits other than white or black. Second is I find them too sissy (at least for me).

I know it is your own faux pas but in my case that very same combination is my own style. I love to mix & match those colors especially that the darker shades make you look slimmer.
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Socks and sandals drive me nuts. I know around here it's the in thing for the young boys to do, but I hate it!!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Brown and Black together jsut doesnt work for me. Now, I have worn a black top with brown bottoms but, only because I didnt have much left in my closet one day before LAUNDRY...LOL!!! I just cant do it! I check out my shirts and such when it comes to wearing shoes too...same with my girls! Do NOT wear brown shoes/boots with a shirt that is black or has black in it.

And, OMG, UGGS with every single outfit in the closet!! UM, NO...UGGS should NOT be worn with EVERYTHING you have.

And, one more major one...SKIN TIGHT OUTFITS with rolls popping out everywhere. I dont get down on people for being heavy, it disturbs me tho when these chics who are clearly overweight wear a shirt that is 3 sizes too small and shows the muffintop from her skin tight jeans. I have been overweight and there are clothes out there that may not be in the new "style" but at least they will make you look slimmer and/or like you have respect for yourself.

Again, just my personal opinion and sorry if I offended anyone...not my intention but, these are jsut what I think...dont think any less of anyone who dresses against my personal opinion. :):):):)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have a million fashion faux pas/pet peeves, largely because I think a lot of women wear what a magazine tells them is cool and trendy, no matter how stupid it really is.

Such as:

Ugg boots. With anything. They're hideous.

Crocs. Same as above.

Shorts so short the pockets stick out

Clothes so tight the woman has to tug, yank, and toy with the item constantly

Ridiculously high heels the person clearly cannot walk in

Cowboy boots with shorts
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Faux pas I can't stand:

Men:
    - There is a name for the type of man who can pull off wearing a sports jersey. It is "Professional Athlete."
    - Small holes in jeans can be done tastefully...but small holes in a sweater is pathetic.
    - Look at your shirt. Now look at your tie. Is your shirt darker than your tie? Then you are a godless sodomite.
    - I'll allow a discreet grass or paint stain on a pair of denim pants. It portrays that "lived-in" comfort. Not food, dirt, wine, or bodily fluids though.
    - While we're on the subject of denim, the closest a man should ever come to denim shorts is helping a woman out of them.
    - Velour...why?
    - No one should see your toes or nipples in public. The only exceptions are the pool, the beach, or for the particularly daring, with someone else at least equally undressed.
    - A hood knocks ten years off of your age and twenty points off of your I.Q.
    - I don't mind you wearing suspenders, but if you wear suspenders and a belt then you missed the point and you are a hipster.

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    I agree on the brown and black, but I have seen some nice outfits with this color combo, just not for me. Ditto on the socks with sandals, eck. I am from cowboy country. I seriously dislike when people wear cowboy boots and their pants are too short, the tops of those boots may be pretty but they weren't meant to be seen!! There are certain styles of boots that are meant to be worn with pants tucked in or with skirts, those are acceptable.
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    I have a million fashion faux pas/pet peeves, largely because I think a lot of women wear what a magazine tells them is cool and trendy, no matter how stupid it really is.

Such as:

Ugg boots. With anything. They're hideous.

Crocs. Same as above.

Shorts so short the pockets stick out

Clothes so tight the woman has to tug, yank, and toy with the item constantly

Ridiculously high heels the person clearly cannot walk in

Cowboy boots with shorts

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, & YES
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Leggings as pants

Those stupid T-Shirts that are 6 sizes too big at the shoulders and only go to above the belly button.

I hate those.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Faux Pas I can't stand:

Women:
    - Leggings aren't pants. So sayeth me.
    - Wear what fits. If your clothes are too tight, you are embarrassing yourself.
    - Wear what fits. You're dressing, not going camping. I can't tell if that is a tent or a shirt.
    - I don't know what that poofy thing you keep doing with your hair is, but I don't like it. The classics are classics for a reason.
    - I will be honest in that I don't mind Uggs in the winter. But God help you if you are wearing Uggs and a skirt. "I'm cold" does not excuse the shoes. What's keeping your unmentionables warm?
    - Don't mix animal prints. In fact, you probably shouldn't wear animal prints. Either an animal was killed for them, or you're wearing something synthetic and it probably looks trashy.
    - 1992 just called and it wants its Scrunchies and sequins back.
    - I don't mind if you wear sweats in public. Just know that I presume you've given up on looking presentable.
    - Why do you have words on your butt? What if I walked around with pants that said 'Lightning Rod' on the front?
    - Don't cake makeup. I won't say 'don't wear makeup.' I'm just saying that a little bit goes a long way. And no glitter.

I guess the underlying principal is "dress to your figure."
    -wtk
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Wow, judgemental much? And where do you people live? It may not be my taste but I like individual expression. I mean, I personally hate tattoos on anyone but I am always drawn to the story behind them. I say let your freak flag fly.
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Wow, judgemental much? And where do you people live? It may not be my taste but I like individual expression. I mean, I personally hate tattoos on anyone but I am always drawn to the story behind them. I say let your freak flag fly.

Maybe you're missing the point of this thread. These are our personal preferences, not hard and fast, don't-you-wear-it-or-you'll-be-mocked-mercilessly-by-the-world fashion requirements. Having preferences does not - despite modern thin skin - make one judgmental in the evil sense of the word. Personally, I prefer the term "discerning".

I don't really CARE if someone wears blue and black together, but if they do, I'm going to think "bruise". If that makes me judgmental, well, okay, I guess I'm judgmental against bruises. Sue me.
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Cowboy boots with shorts

I'm sorry, but think this is cute. :blushing: