Does anyone else get frustrated with their slow progress?

Options
13»

Replies

• casugo
    casugo Posts: 1
    Options
    I started at 138 with no exercise program, and trying to get down to 130, that was March- it's now July. I hired a trainer-have been working out 3-5 times a week, and only gained weight- now I'm 145, but more muscular. Very addicted to food and overeat even when I know I need to stop. Going to try Overeaters Anonymous and get a Food Sponsor. Yes, I'm very frustrated! I think there are certain foods that trigger my overeating, like a bagel, or casserole, or a hamburger (calorie dense foods), cakes, muffins, meatloaf...if I just didn't eat them at all I can't get in trouble right? I'm starting to understand that I MUST steer clear of those things and towards salads, beans, leafy greens. I feel tired after I eat those other foods anyway, so I know they are not helping my body.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    me too! 50 pounds gone and stuck.... for like a year... just stuck frustrated doing insanity and getting toned but no loss :) maybe a few inches depending on the day... I tried eating back calories hoping for that miricle break in the plateau not happening! Only gained 6 now I have to take that off to get back to my original 50. So, frustrated and not eating well last few weeks because my thoughts have been, why does it matter?? I put so much in and nothing in return... SIGHHHHH So, I have reset my mind set and my goals and I will accomplish this. I WILL DO IT.

I hear that 100 percent. The mind is in the way of the body for me right now. I just got back from New York City and between that and my birthday, I am now UP 3 pounds. I think sometimes challenges help me reset myself and I DO NOT want to gain weight back, so this will help me re-examine my effort and goals. It is so hard for me sometimes and then other times I am grateful for the realization that I CAN EAT AND LOSE WEIGHT, and not feel guilty about it. The planning and forthought to get there can just be a little daunting at times.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes and no... Every once in a while the thought hits me that I wish it would just all go away. But on the other hand, I know that even if I was a little better with my diet or even squeezed in some extra exercise, that wouldn't be a long term solution. As most of us have learned through past attempts, it's better to be happy with small changes that lead to gradual weight loss. Because the alternative is to starve ourselves and burn ourselves out in the gym and those extreme changes just don't last. I'd much rather have my weekly indulgences and be a happy foodie! :)

I'd also recommend changing up your ticker to show your total weight loss. I didn't at first but like the previous poster noted, once my total loss was up there in vivid color, it reminded me just how far I've come, even if it is taking a while. You can do this by going in to the weigh in page, click on edit a previous entry and then scroll down to add an entry.

Maybe start taking measurements too if you haven't already. The scale lies...especially when you've got less to lose.

Oh and see my profile pic...good reminder of how much 1 pound really looks like.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    4 pounds lost since beginning of May, frustrating but it's my own fault I tend not to "diet" on weekends because there's always something social going on and I have no self control once I've had a couple of bevvies, or turn down friends making dinner etc and although I want to lose weight I don't want to not enjoy my social life so I'm happy to have it coming off slow because at least it's coming off, and I can still have fun. Best of both and it works for me, don't get me wrong I try to do my weekends in moderation but if I wanted to be in the 1 pound a week crowd I'd prob have to knock them on the head completely. :)
  • Momjogger
    Options
    I started at 138 with no exercise program, and trying to get down to 130, that was March- it's now July. I hired a trainer-have been working out 3-5 times a week, and only gained weight- now I'm 145, but more muscular. Very addicted to food and overeat even when I know I need to stop. Going to try Overeaters Anonymous and get a Food Sponsor. Yes, I'm very frustrated! I think there are certain foods that trigger my overeating, like a bagel, or casserole, or a hamburger (calorie dense foods), cakes, muffins, meatloaf...if I just didn't eat them at all I can't get in trouble right? I'm starting to understand that I MUST steer clear of those things and towards salads, beans, leafy greens. I feel tired after I eat those other foods anyway, so I know they are not helping my body.

It is tough. I have 2 insights that may apply to your situation based on what has happened to me, but since I am struggling right now - you MAY want to take them with a grain of salt. I try to eliminate processed carbs from my diet, but then the days I do poorly, I am eating more carbs, so I think when I restrict my carbs TOO much, I set myself up to have a bad day. I do a couple of things that when I am on track help. I restrict processed carbs to earlier in the day when I know I can burn them and I decrease the amount that I PLAN on eating. For example, I usually eat half a bagel or one half cup of oatmeal with dried fruit for breakfast. I do not have anything in my house I consider a trigger food either. I don't buy chips, crackers (except goldfish crackers, because I can eat 55 of them for one serving) and if I have chips, I have a single serving and eat them with lunch outside the house because if they are in my house I will eat them ALL. Also, I have been trying to lose weight for YEARS and have been working out my whole life. One thing I know FOR SURE about my own body is that when I weight lift and/or strength train, I GAIN WEIGHT or stall in my weight loss. I don't know why. All research and current thinking steers you toward it, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe because it makes me more hungry?, and when I eat more, I don't lose. Soooo, I stopped my weight training last year (stuck to kickboxing and push ups for my upper body) and increased my cardio. In fact, maybe because I have upped my resistance training this summer, that is causing my slow down in the weight loss process again. I might have to give up body pump and my Sat morning strength training class again for a while. For cardio I take Zumba, kickboxing, step aerobics, and spinning classes at my gym and I also jog on my own. You may like some of those activities and use them to replace the personal training. Plus, group classes are cheaper! Good luck, and thanks for commiserating with me. It helped me see where I may need to tweek things right now too.
  • shandajenkins70
    shandajenkins70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    going through same thing at this same moment just stepped off scale and not happy i shed 10 pounds in the first month now i not losing any i i even gained a pound and and i have been working out more and eating even better, i am so frustrated. But i am going to keep doing what i have been doing and not give in. I am getting married in june and need to shed 25 more pounds.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    4 pounds lost since beginning of May, frustrating but it's my own fault I tend not to "diet" on weekends because there's always something social going on and I have no self control once I've had a couple of bevvies, or turn down friends making dinner etc and although I want to lose weight I don't want to not enjoy my social life so I'm happy to have it coming off slow because at least it's coming off, and I can still have fun. Best of both and it works for me, don't get me wrong I try to do my weekends in moderation but if I wanted to be in the 1 pound a week crowd I'd prob have to knock them on the head completely. :)

I have a really hard time on the weekends too. I like to go out on Sat nights and although we don't eat out anymore, I have a couple of drinks and have a hard time at barbecues and parties.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    Yes and no... Every once in a while the thought hits me that I wish it would just all go away. But on the other hand, I know that even if I was a little better with my diet or even squeezed in some extra exercise, that wouldn't be a long term solution. As most of us have learned through past attempts, it's better to be happy with small changes that lead to gradual weight loss. Because the alternative is to starve ourselves and burn ourselves out in the gym and those extreme changes just don't last. I'd much rather have my weekly indulgences and be a happy foodie! :)

I'd also recommend changing up your ticker to show your total weight loss. I didn't at first but like the previous poster noted, once my total loss was up there in vivid color, it reminded me just how far I've come, even if it is taking a while. You can do this by going in to the weigh in page, click on edit a previous entry and then scroll down to add an entry.

Maybe start taking measurements too if you haven't already. The scale lies...especially when you've got less to lose.

Oh and see my profile pic...good reminder of how much 1 pound really looks like.

Great words of wisdom!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you have lost weight (and 55 lbs is LOTS!) even just maintaining that loss is a victory and puts you in the top 3% of 'dieters' (or 'lifestyle changers' before someone bites my head off!). And slow progress is still progress in the right direction. Well done you!

This - slow and steady wins the race. You are doing a great job. Keep it up!
  • Momjogger
    Options

Took your advice and changed my ticker. Thanks so much!
  • steuchert0394
    steuchert0394 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same. I lost 76 pounds in a year and a half I think and because of a stupid knee surgery, I wasn't able to exercise like I used to and 25 pounds came back on! Now that I can exercise again, I feel like this is not coming off fast enough at all. I know my profile says I've only lost 3 pounds and it's right! I've been at this all summer! Running and swimming and eating like a freaking rabbit... I'm just a little frustrated and felt the need to vent lol