Can someone PLEASE DUMB it down for me!

Options
1235»

Replies

• mycurtin
    mycurtin Posts: 1
    Options
    You seem to be following the ( less food in + more calories expended ) = weight loss theory. That one seems to work for most people. But... here is another thought.

Our bodies are very complex ecosystems - they are just complicated and sometimes they do things we don't think they ought to. Like not lose weight when we have been "good" and exercised and stayed below our "calorie limit".

But there are some other things that might be involved.

First - have you had your thyroid level checked by a doctor. This is a big one. Your thyroid affects your entire metabolism - the calorie burning machine inside your body. I had some low thyroid stuff going on and life was very uncomfortable, and I couldn't lose weight.

Second. There is a theory that if you are allergic to some foods that you are eating, you body may be defending itself in some way that won't let it lose weight. This is a problem for a small portion of the population. It is also not a mainstream idea. I just thought you would like to explore it if your thyroid checks out.

Keep on fighting. And keep looking for things that work for you. :wink:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I feel like this thread is on its way out, but I'll post anyway.

The 'don't eat below your BMR' thing is really only espoused here on MFP and is not widely accepted. Try to find a source for this in the literature or from any expert. That is why MFP ignores your BMR when it sets your calorie goal. BMR doesn't matter.

The important thing is that your deficit from TDEE not be too large (1000 cals max is recommended).

If you use the MFP method, set your activity settings as non-exercise activity and then log exercise and eat calories back.

If you use the TDEE method, figure out your TDEE using an online calculator factoring in your exercise and then take 500-1000 off from that. Don't eat additional calories for exercise because they're already factored in.

The two methods will be about the same. Dont mix them or it gets confusing. Forget about BMR.

Hope that helps.

Thank you :)
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later....