Best Exercise for GIRLS Lower Abs?

Options
chachan
chachan Posts: 31 Member
I'm looking for a couple of good exercises to work into my gym routine that focus on the lower abs. I've had two kids and certainly still have a decent bit of weight to lose in the gut, but would like to suck that stuff in as much as possible! I currently always use the Nautilus abdominal at 30/95 and the Cybex Torso at 30/90. Can you share any moves that have helped you successfully reduce your FUPPA? Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of a gut\fuppa is all about fat loss, not building ab muscles. If you are in a calorie deficit which I imagine you are, you won't really build much ab muscle (or any other) anyway outside of noob gains.

To answer your question, ab wheel, hanging leg raises (hang from a bar, keep legs straight, move ankles to wrist), lying leg raises with ankle weights or holding a dumbbell between your feet
  • chachan
    chachan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of a gut\fuppa is all about fat loss, not building ab muscles. If you are in a calorie deficit which I imagine you are, you won't really build much ab muscle (or any other) anyway outside of noob gains.

To answer your question, ab wheel, hanging leg raises (hang from a bar, keep legs straight, move ankles to wrist), lying leg raises with ankle weights or holding a dumbbell between your feet

I should not be in a calorie deficit as I have done all the calculations and am eating an average of 1600 cals plus some of my exercise calories. I'm lifting 3 times a week, after 30 minutes or so of cardio, and doing more cardio on other days (usually 2). I've upped the protein a bunch and am losing weight on the scale, but can definitely see muscles buidling (or firming?).
    I'll try the leg raises, they hurt like a mother, but I have no idea what an ab wheel is!!
  • lauren518
    lauren518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    theres this one move that i love because my lower abs annndddd my thighs feel tighter right away when i finish it.
    you lay on your back with your knees up at an 90 degree angle. and slowly you drop one foot down, dont quite touch the groud then bring it back up. then repeat on the other side. make sure you keep your leg in the 90 degree angle the whole time, go slow and feel the burn and keep your back on the floor(dont let it arc up) and try to do as many as you can. i try to do at least 50 and the last ten are killer!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

I should not be in a calorie deficit as I have done all the calculations and am eating an average of 1600 cals plus some of my exercise calories. I'm lifting 3 times a week, after 30 minutes or so of cardio, and doing more cardio on other days (usually 2). I've upped the protein a bunch and am losing weight on the scale, but can definitely see muscles buidling (or firming?).
    I'll try the leg raises, they hurt like a mother, but I have no idea what an ab wheel is!!

OK. If you want to lose the rest of the gut, you will need to eat at a deficit to lose it, but that is up to you. An ab wheel is literally a wheel with handles on both sides. You can google it. Despite the fact that it sems like one of those gimmicky home ab exercise devices, it is actually good.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    theres this one move that i love because my lower abs annndddd my thighs feel tighter right away when i finish it.
    you lay on your back with your knees up at an 90 degree angle. and slowly you drop one foot down, dont quite touch the groud then bring it back up. then repeat on the other side. make sure you keep your leg in the 90 degree angle the whole time, go slow and feel the burn and keep your back on the floor(dont let it arc up) and try to do as many as you can. i try to do at least 50 and the last ten are killer!

I love toe taps! They're fantastic for lower abs.

Captain's chair is also good for lower abs if your gym has one. More fave moves for lower abs are pike on a ball and the yoga pose lolasana.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Diet are the best things for Abs. I would maybe up the cardio a bit more and add some ab exercises. A few good lower ab ones are something I call pulses they are mini crunches and instead of having your knees bent, they are in Indian style (sorry I don't know the PC term). You only lift a tiny bit off the ground with your hands behind your head looking straight up at the ceiling. Another one is lying one your back, lift you legs up straight to the ceiling and using lower abs only try to lift your butt off the ground. Don't forget some obliques and lower back. So whatever your choice of obliques and then supermans.

Also, planks work wonders :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

If you're not in a calorie deficit, you should be if you want to lose that last bit of fat. Worry about your diet, that's what's going to get rid of the fat on the belly.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Clean eating!
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They have this thing in my gym - the back support padded board and the two padded bars on the sides. You bend your arms at 90 degree angle and rest your back against the back board and do leg rises with either bent knees or straight leg rises. It will make your lower abdominal muscles very strong. Another good one is doing crunches on the exercise ball - you use several groups of muscle at the some time - works magic for your stomach. And the good old bicycle crunches. I personally thing that slow crunches on the floor/ball will work much better then the one's on the machines.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    reverse crunches.. they suck, but you'll definatly feel them
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My problem is lower ab strength. I did zero activity post c-section and now that im working on improving my balance and core, my lower abs seem like they dont exist. I cant even hold my legs up to do Flutters.... I feel like I'm way behind the curve. However, I've lost a lot of weight in my lower abdomen area. It was always bigger than my 'spare tire', and for a while they were shrinking at the same rate, now my lower abdomen is smaller. I just havent been able to manage any of the ab work that requires sitting in a 'C' or 'V' shape. There are a ton of the lower ab stuff that I try really hard to do but I think my muscles are so weak that I need something lighter.

Perhaps a stability ball?
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I second the reverse crunches. I find they're the best part of my day (which is sick I know lol) but you can really feel them working plus they're way easier on your back than regular crunches.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in a calorie deficit. You want to stay that way to shed the extra bodyfat. This link is to some excellent ab/core exercises...

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/everything-pallof-press/

Eta: the best part is you're off the dang floor.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't do any ab exercises at all and my abs are pretty flat(after two c-sections). I only do strength training but i lift HEAVY and engage my core with EVERY single move. Thus, no need to do crunches after my workout. My abs are engaged the entire time. I also try to avoid bread and dairy. Even when I get my abs super flat..those two foods will bloat me asap.
  • babyschatz
    babyschatz Posts: 15
    Options
    Barbell squat.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Barbell squat.

Second that! I can really feel my abs fire doing that. Not just for your legs ladies! AWESOME FOR ABS too.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely second the ab wheel and leg lift exercises. I will also lay down and put an exercise ball between my ankles, lift legs and arms, pass ball to arms and bring arms and legs down, reverse and repeat.

However, I think people are predisposed to store fat in a certain place, and for me its the lower abs (I have a proportionally short torso). Even when I weighed 108 (at 5'3" and age 22!) I hated that area, even when I was ripped and benched my weight, or when I could run 5 miles in under 40 minutes, it's always there!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

This. You can work abs by themselves, but it really comes down to genetics and bf%. I don't spend more than 15 minutes on abs in a week, and the only reason I spend that much time is because it's a part of the group fit class choreo that I teach. The best workout comes from holding proper posture while rocking out free weights.
    Also, you can't really work abs in isolation, they all work together.
    However, of you want some old school ho-science suggestions: hanging knee ups on leg lifts, inclined reverse crunches, lay on back with you back flat legs straight into the air flex your feet and reach for your toes, or same posture as previous arms flat by your side or holding an anchor above your head and drive your heels straight into the ceiling lifting your hips ip off the ground.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

It's debatable if you are building muscle, but what you're seeing with more definition is more likely a reduced bf% allOwing your musculature to peek through.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I love ab exercises! :) I have about a million. V-ups and Hip Raises, reverse crunches where you push your heels toward the ceiling after bringing your knees to your chest. Heel tap leg lifts. If you have questions add or message me. I have a bunch of ab workout videos on my blog/youtube.