Hi! Trying this out because WW is too expensive. :/

Options
Hello. :) I'm Jeanine. I have been on WW since the new points change for a month and a half now and can't seem to get over the 5lb mark... This is the second time I've given their new Points Plus program a shot. Before they changed the system and I tried it a few years ago I was able to lose weight easier with the original program. I'm following it exactly but it just doesn't seem to be for me anymore.

Plus, it's $40/mo just for the meetings and e-tools! I also buy their snacks at every meeting and even the Smart Ones dinners sometimes so that adds up to quite a lot also, considering I'm 19 and money is tight for me.

So here I am, after hearing so much about MFP. I am hoping that I can track and start to lose the weight without having to spend so much money that I really don't have right now.

Does anyone have some tips for me about this program? I tracked my food for the day... Today was a bad one. But I still managed to stay under even though the food choices suck.

Replies

• Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I dumped WW too and started here for free. This site is awesome!! Add some friends for support and be careful in the data base. Some entries are wrong even when you "scan" a barcode due to the information being entered wrong or missing nutrients such as sodium or potassium.

tips:
    Log every day, good or bad and if you need to look back on the week to see what you can improve, change, decrease, increase ect you have all your information in what you did good and what you can improve on.

Pay attention to all nutrients, not just calories

open your diary up to the public so you can get tips from your friends and maybe your friends can get ideas from you

water, water, water.....helps the body flush bad stuff

log your exercise and just like ww earn extra treats that way

Net calories is what is important so don't fret about the total calories

I pre-log but pre-logging isn't for everyone.

Welcome aboard!!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For me, even the $16 or $17 a month for Weight Watchers Online was more than I needed to spend. I am finding MFP serves the same purpose....for free. Good luck as you journey here!
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yup- I think more and more of us are switching over- since the new plan I could not lose to save my life!

Since MFP and I starated together on 5/12- 20 pounds down!

Welcome and feel free to add me if you have any questions or just want a friend :)
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate the tips and comments. I think having a support group here is just as good as the WW meetings (if not better!) and it's free which is awesome.

I'm looking forward to having extra money in my pocket and losing weight at the same time. :D
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i switched from WW too.. i LOVE it here so much better!! more supportive than listening to the leader ramble on with info that is mostly common sense that i knew anyway.

it's a little trickier to figure out the food.. many listings for the same exact thing, but i'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time :)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love MFP!
  • ashelt6
    ashelt6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thats how I got here as well. Checked into WW and figured I could do this for free and so far so good! 18lbs down!
  • Shelbyw09
    Shelbyw09 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey, I did ww back i the day too and I'm with you and it was just to expensive! But I love MFP! I use it for everything! I will some times pre log which is great because you know where you are for the day before you even eat it! Also its great when you are going out to eat because it has most restraunts in it and you can get a look at the calorie count before you order it. Im sure you will start to notice that you wont order what you use to order anymore! I know I sure dont! Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW, but from what I gather this site offers similar tools and is FREE. I swear by this site. When people ask how I'm losing or staying focused, I credit it to hard work, this site & its community. Welcome!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Good choice. At the end of the day, WW exists for profit . . . if everyone lost the weight, WW would go out of business ;)
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    I am not an expert at all since I've only been here a few weeks, but this place already has me tracking calories better than any attempt I have made in the past. I love that I can get at it with my phone.
  • amayberry7
    amayberry7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked wonders for me!!
  • nof555
    nof555 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Never tried weight watchers but as long as you fill out how you ate and exercised everyday, you will notice changes. Keep in mind that sometimes it takes a couple weeks of eating properly to really start seeing changes. Don't get discouraged and you will do great! Also the community here is really nice and making some friends can help to get some encouragement.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started with WW and wish I started here. The people on here are so much nicer and the support system is easier. If I even need to look up something about my diet I good a question then type myfitnesspal and 9 out of 10 time there is already a message board. For me this site is much easier and free :) Best of luck on here!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hope this works out better for you. I have 6 kids ages 13 down to 4mo. I can't afford to pay for something I can get for free.

I'm sure I'm not doing everything right. I don't get the whole carbs thing and am way over the sugar mark every day, but it is a lot better than when I started two weeks ago.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    MFP is the best I am a past WW too the old system was working and then I quit I tried the new points and not so much Welcome you are gonna love it here the support is awesome the people are great add me if you want :drinker:
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you have access to the internet, and MFP, then no one on earth needs WW =]
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have tried to go to WW meetings several times, but I absolutely could not stand my leader. I like MFP because it's free, for one, but the people on the boards are generally a lot nicer and much more supportive than the WW boards.

As for tips, I started losing when I cut out sugar, potatoes, white breads, white rice, etc. In fact, I have lost 9 pounds in almost 2 weeks doing this. With WW, I was cheating myself out of healthy foods just so I could squeeze in the treats. Now, I eat tons of vegetables, limited fruits, whole grains, lean protein, and I drink a ton of water. It works!

It helps to 'make friends' on here. I have a great support network on here. Good luck!
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for welcoming me and for all of the advice! Really appreciate it. :)
    I heard about MFP from a bunch of people so I am really excited about it working for me without having to pay the WW pricetag.

I can only send 5 friend requests per 10 minutes (ha) so if I didn't get to you feel free to request me! We can all motivate each other.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    While I think WW has its merits, it wasn't the best option for me. Telling me that I can have x points per day is nice, but it didn't help me understand just what was in those points. I like knowing that the foods I'm eating are the right mix.

Welcome and good luck!