Trying to do a Brazilian Wax at home?

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    tumblr_mgeya48T2U1rr6a99o1_500.gif
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I used to go to lazer hair removal for armpits and down there a while ago but I wanted to try something new - so I'm doing my first Brazillian on Tuesday. I'm kinda freaking out as the day approaches cuz I've heard it hurts like absolute hell, I really hope it's worth it..

How long do the results actually last? And also is it true that I can't wear jeans straight afterwards because it would hurt so much that I wouldn't be able to walk.... my friends make it sound like pure torture..

Your friends are probably trying to scare you. I have a high pain tolerance & I barely feel it--no pain at all. If you don't handle pain well, take some tylenol about an hour before you go. You can wear jeans afterward. It lasts about a month for me.

To the OP, good choice in going with a professional. I would never try to do a brazilian myself & I've been sugar waxing my legs, bikini, & underarms myself for a long time.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    I think I would be scared to try doing it myself, but also scared and embarrassed to show my girly bits to some stranger ><
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Can I just say a decent hot wax Brazilian actually doesn't hurt that much - if the therapist is skilled it's over in 5 minutes and isn't even red.

It really should be the thick wax that sets and is pulled straight off, not the stuff spread on with wooden sticks and pulled off with cloth strips. That's not suitable for "that" area at all!!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    I think I would be scared to try doing it myself, but also scared and embarrassed to show my girly bits to some stranger ><

Really?

Get over it haha!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    They make nair for that area. or go to a professional
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    oh goodness, I've tried this twice. Both times I wished I just spent a little more and went to get it done professionally. It's so much better to have someone do it.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    It hurts bad enough having it professionally done........... Don't do it!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I didn't read any other comments, but my best friend and I do it for each other. It's painful and slightly awkward but with a few cocktails we just end up rolling on the floor in hysterical laughter and in the end we are nice and smooth.

It's wonderful to have friends that you've known for 20 years and that you can trust with your junk.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I had a neighbor who did it at home and ended up with a trip to the ER and 30 stitches...

If you're not patient, don't have any experience waxing, don't heat it too enough / heat it too much, or use the wrong wax, it can be a painful, messy nightmare. Might be worth it to just go get it done and see if you can tolerate the pain first.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Can Someone explain to me why people from Brazil have so much trouble with shaving? I just get it done in the morning, it takes like 5 minutes. Is it like a thicker hair follicle????
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Absolutely go to a professional but just make sure the hair length is what they suggest to have it at for the best results.

I have personally done it at home and the results were completely unsatisfactory.
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    I wax the underarms and THERE myself. I'm a licensed esthetician so maybe I know more about it.. Is it easy? No. Does is hurt? Sure. Is it worth it? Well, just depends on the person. It's ALL ABOUT THE ANGLES! lol Honestly if you can find somewhere that will do it for under $50, it's worth it. The first and only time I had it done, it cost me $100 and it didn't come out any better than when I do it. They will break hairs and you will have hairs that start to grow back fairly quick. Waxing there is kind of like letting your hair grow out. To get 100% results, it takes time.
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Just shave or use nair :) Be careful with the nair though because chemical burns suck in that area lol

DO NOT USE NAIR FOR A BRAZILIAN! I REPEAT!!! DO NOT USE NAIR FOR A BRAZILIAN!!

^THIS
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member

Really?

Get over it haha!

The lady doing it has "seen it" and probably doesn't care, so long as you're up on hygiene. I'm sure from her perspective, they all start to look the same and she's probably not going to wave you down in the supermarket and ask how your bits are doing.

It's a heck of a lot less invasive than going for a yearly exam, and if a professional does it, it's over in 20 minutes... It's like getting your nails done. Sometimes, it's better to leave your home and go have a professional do a quality job. :)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't use wax... I use sugar... I don't know if that's out in the states and do it myself. It's NOT easy and I would honestly suggest going to a professional to get this done. I had gone to some training classes and never got certified because I never actually paid to be there, but I've been doing it for just over 10 years now. It's still a pain in the *kitten*!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    professional.... or unless you are going on a beach holiday, just trim up and tame.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Just shave or use nair :) Be careful with the nair though because chemical burns suck in that area lol

With Nair you just need to avoid specific areas and not go over the time limit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    You cannot do this at home without 4 hands and a head somewhere near your feet to see what is going on. Do NOT try it yourself. You can't just use those wax strips from the drug store. You'll hurt yourself. If you try to use the hot melted wax they use in the salon, you will burn yourself.

It just isn't worth it. Call around, find the least expensive place, save up, and get it done.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    there are some things in life you need to pay money for a job well done