1200 cals this way works...

Options
Hezzietiger1
Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

My thoughts...

It is not hard to be full on a 1200 calorie diet when your diet consists of high protein and high fiber fresh fruits and veggies and healthy fats. I don't eat breads, pastas, grains, and only light dairy. I don't eat much processed foods at all- a rare treat. Everything I put in my body has nutritional value, digests slowly, and is loaded with the vitamins and minerals that I need to function well.

So if you are eating 1200 cals a day and those 1200 cals are a 300 cal double chz burger, a 200 calorie coke, a 200 calorie pro shake (cuz ur trying to take the advice of all the "wonderful and supportive people") a 100 cal banana, a 100 cal pack of choco cookies, and a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner- yeh.. ur gonna be hungry, ur body isn't getting the nutrition it needs, and you probably are not going to make it.

But if you are eating 1200 calories and those 1200 calories are ..

200 cal shake for breakfast (25 pro/9 fiber **GNC lean 25**) with 100 cal banana
100 cal serving of almonds
200 cal chicken breast with a salad loaded with broccoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, red peppers, and fresh salsa instead of dressing
150 cal cup of fruit
450 cal steak with sauteed zucchini, squash in olive oil herbs and spices and a few grape tomatoes

^^ probably going to feel pretty satisfied after 25 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein ^^

Disclosure- if the processed stuff mentioned above works for you.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you don't want to eat 1200 calories, and you want/do eat more.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you think I should be eating more than 1200 calories I'm sure you are an AWESOME person but your opinion is irrelevant to my life/weight loss. I'm good with what i do. Thanks for caring though. :)

Hezz

Replies

• amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary...if you're going for 1200...that is certainly the way to do it!
    These girls on 1200 really ought to take a look at your diary.

I can't stay at 1200. I just love to eat too much. :)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 too :) x
  • amandaxh
    amandaxh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

My thoughts...

It is not hard to be full on a 1200 calorie diet when your diet consists of high protein and high fiber fresh fruits and veggies and healthy fats. I don't eat breads, pastas, grains, and only light dairy. I don't eat much processed foods at all- a rare treat. Everything I put in my body has nutritional value, digests slowly, and is loaded with the vitamins and minerals that I need to function well.

So if you are eating 1200 cals a day and those 1200 cals are a 300 cal double chz burger, a 200 calorie coke, a 200 calorie pro shake (cuz ur trying to take the advice of all the "wonderful and supportive people") a 100 cal banana, a 100 cal pack of choco cookies, and a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner- yeh.. ur gonna be hungry, ur body isn't getting the nutrition it needs, and you probably are not going to make it.

200 cal shake for breakfast (25 pro/9 fiber **GNC lean 25**) with 100 cal banana
    200 cal chicken breast with a salad loaded with broccoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, red peppers, and fresh salsa instead of dressing
    150 cal cup of fruit
    450 cal steak with sauteed zucchini, squash in olive oil herbs and spices and a few grape tomatoes

^^ probably going to feel pretty satisfied after 25 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein ^^

Disclosure- if the processed stuff mentioned above works for you.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you don't want to eat 1200 calories, and you want/do eat more.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you think I should be eating more than 1200 calories I'm sure you are an AWESOME person but your opinion is irrelevant to my life/weight loss. I'm good with what i do. Thanks for caring though. :)

Hezz

I think it is great that you found something that works for you and also you've done your research and know how foods work with your body. So that is great :-)
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    My goal is 1200 a day also but I eat processed food still and I feel like I am getting enough most of the time. :) I am not very active so that may play a big role in it too, lol.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well said. The problem is that some on here think 1200 is a death limit so they call people stupid for eating that low and others here feel that 1200 is just a number and if they eat less then they will lose even more weight and quicker, which isn't always the case either. There is no way in hell that I could eat that little but people like you who do it right, or at least you say you do can't always trust what you read on the internet:tongue: , should be commended for being diligent. good job.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose, you are in a deficit. The problem is 1200 cals and exercising is like eating less than 1200. On days you burn 400 calories, if you only eat 1200, it is the same as eating 800 cals (1200-400) on days you don't exercise. 800 calories is not enough for anyone, even if you are short. (I am 5'6" 136, and I eat 2000+ calories)

The problem with not eating enough is a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just fat. Higher protein will help but not eliminate the loss of lean muscle.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I thought 1200 was an average amount for a diet! I know that the 1200 is supposed to be your net calories after exercise but sometimes I struggle to get up to that! (other times it's so easy to go waayyy over so I think it all evens out in the end!)
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post. I have my calories at 1,300 right now and end up eating under most days. Even though I eat every 2-3 hours. I eat the very same way as you but no meat.Due to my recent PCOS diagnosis I've cut out ALL grains, stratches and breads. I eat a lot of protein and veggies and am ultimately satisfied. Oh-and I drink buttloads of water.

I have often had to explain to friends on MFP that I'm NOT on a starvation mission and that my insides are really happy. Although I understand their concern, it makes publishing my diary at the end of the day a bit "nerve racking" as I anticipate a comment about starving myself.
  • adiasun81
    adiasun81 Posts: 3
    Options
    People should also keep in mind food allergies and associated dietary requirements. Having recently been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease I am now finding it difficult to reach my daily target of 1350 cals/day when I'm eating a very plain, and simple AND gluten free diet.
  • pmcco
    pmcco Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree.... I keep saying keep it lean and clean: I try to choose whole foods made naturally.... lean protein and lots of veggies and whole grains are def the way to go. Continued success!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Actually no offence but I can see the way this post is going so I am out.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I agree, 1600 calories via McDonalds is easy and not really helping because it is unhealthy.

1200 by eating a smart sandwich, yoghurts, veggie snacks and a nice evening meal is way better for you.

I'm more than happy to kiss off the people that say "Low calorie is bad" in favor of the "Eating healthy is good" ones
  • myweechuckie1
    Options
    Excellent response, everyone is different so for some 1,200 is perfect.:huh:
  • snowball69
    snowball69 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i have been on 1000 calories for a long time an it worked for me i was on 1200 when i first started and it also worked i just dropped to 1000 as i was eating less on the 1200
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose, you are in a deficit. The problem is 1200 cals and exercising is like eating less than 1200. On days you burn 400 calories, if you only eat 1200, it is the same as eating 800 cals (1200-400) on days you don't exercise. 800 calories is not enough for anyone, even if you are short. (I am 5'6" 136, and I eat 2000+ calories)

The problem with not eating enough is a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just fat. Higher protein will help but not eliminate the loss of lean muscle.

in her defense- this system adds more calories with workout calorie deficits so you dont get any lower than the 1200 calories daily. So I think she is fine doing that way- I am also 1200 cal daily and while some days are tough to keep it there other days when I am eating really healthy I am just fine with that .....the more you exercise the more you can eat.....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

My thoughts...

150 cal cup of fruit

Hezz

1200+eating back cals correct?
    So most would be hitting in the 1500-1800net?
    Right?
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Great post. I got to my goal weight and am maintaining even with heavy weight lifting eating roughly 1200/day.

I read that post yesterday and decided not to even comment.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options

^^ this is actually very accurate.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options

This is very true. I to was on 1200 cal diet working out 5-6 x per week. I wasn't getting much definition. I wasn't feeding my body properly and I was always hungry.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ooh, love this post! I'm 5'1 and have lost 22 pounds since February this year on 1200 kcals per day; and this is exactly the way to do it.

Actually, since I'm nearing my goal weight and seeing as I've lost all that weight, therefore my BMR is down too, now I'm getting to a point where I'm full but I've calories over (yesterday had 150 cals each worth of Pringles and an ice cream. The day before that I allowed myself a glass of wine).

More excellent sources of nutrition: fatty fish (I loooooove salmon!), barley, green beans, all beans for that matter, tenderloin steak, corn on the cob (1 ear is about 170 kcal)